Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:56:23 PM EDT
Guys who regularly carry .45 caliber pistols typically say they feel they would be outgunned if they were to carry 9mm. I guess my question is: Does carrying the .223 make you feel outgunned versus a .308 package? Personally I carry a SIG 9mm all the time. But my go to rifle is my M1A SOCOM 16. Sounds weird but, I'm just more comfortable with my 9mm. And, more comfortable with the .308 over the .223 round.

Absolutely not trying to start a firestorm here. Just interested in what your thoughts on these two calibers are.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:58:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SIG-24-7:
Guys who regularly carry .45 caliber pistols typically say they feel they would be outgunned if they were to carry 9mm. I guess my question is: Does carrying the .223 make you feel outgunned versus a .308 package? Personally I carry a SIG 9mm all the time. But my go to rifle is my M1A SOCOM 16. Sounds weird but, I'm just more comfortable with my 9mm. And, more comfortable with the .308 over the .223 round.

Absolutely not trying to start a firestorm here. Just interested in what your thoughts on these two calibers are.

no, because just like .45 does more tissue damage than 9mm, .223 does more than .308 (inside 150 - 200 yrds)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:00:00 PM EDT
I can hit better with my Steyr 9mm than any other pistol I've used, and I'd rather hit with a smaller round than miss with a bigger one. I may be in the minority, but I always figured that if the shot is on the caliber doesn't make THAT much of a difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:01:58 PM EDT
The bigger hole you can punch in them, and the quicker you can get multiple aimed COM holes the quicker.

IOW shoot the biggest, rifle, pistol, shotty, you can and still make quick follow up shots. Small caliber advocates will tell you that a 9mm is just as good as a .45. I've heard doctors say "if he'd have been shot 1 mm to the left he'd be dead" I want that one mm covered but a .45 has a good bit of recoil to me. So I balance that and shoot a .40.
As far as .223 vs .308 goes? because of speed, they ARE pretty close, but I can get 3-4 .223 rounds into someone as quick or quicker than most can get 2 .308 rounds into someone.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:34:38 PM EDT
I think if you hit what your aiming at it shouldn't be an issue. A good center mass hit is going to end a fight from any of the decent calibers. It's the same as hunting. Bullet placement. Now if your going to say a 44 mag will take their arm off but a nine would just make him mad I say whatever. Practice more and yo wont hit their arm you'll hit their chest or face.
Top Top