Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/18/2006 6:23:27 AM EDT
Got it? Like it? How does it compare to normal broadband speeds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:35:13 AM EDT
Hmmm...just read the fine print. Maybe not such a great idea...

Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess:
Subject to VZAccess Acceptable Use Policy, available on www.verizonwireless.com. NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess data sessions may be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation). Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess services cannot be used (1) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (2) with server devices or with host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, Voice over IP (VoIP), automated machine-to-machine connections, or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, or (3) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess is for individual use only and is not for resale. We reserve right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using NationalAccess or BroadbandAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Verizon Wireless reserves the right to protect its network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:44:47 AM EDT
If you're talking about the PCMCIA card that goes into a laptop, I have it and I love it. I use it when I travel. I can get info out to my customers from a parking lot. I don't have to book hotels that have wireless connections anymore. The speed depends on how close you are to the tower, but I routinely get 1-2MBps speeds. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:36:48 AM EDT
This is interesting, cause I never knew it existed.

I'm looking into moving back into the sticks, where all we have is dialup, or satelite. I had satelite there for a whole year. Starting last April, service would go out at around 9pm and not come back on till 9 or 10am. After all the complaints and letters, we canceled our service, and they said they'd refund our money from April to July. Then they had the gall to hit us with a 400 early cancellation fee. Seeing as how they wouldn't repair the service. No new satelite, no new modem, or anything, they more or less cancelled us, not the other way around.

Then to top it off, they told us to send back the model and dish parts. After we called seeking our refund, they asked us why we sent back the dish and modem, since we in fact had bought it in terms of our service. Needless to say, DirectWay is a shady shady business. Apparently, anything that goes wrong is not the fault of the equipment, but it has to do with the weather, or cops running radar, or some other crazy reason.

If this is faster than dialup, I'm all for it. And there's a Verizon tower just down the road, so coverage should be good. At least we never get dropped calls at the house. As for Verizons terms of service, I would assume by the red highlighted part, they mean no downloading games, movies, or music from place like Limewire and the like. Which I have no problem, since I don't download movies or games, and music I can live without.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:40:07 AM EDT
I've evaluated it for my company.

It's OK. Slower than DSL and higher delay, but it beats dialup. Trying to run a VPN across it is a little painful, however.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:48:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toast:
If you're talking about the PCMCIA card that goes into a laptop, I have it and I love it. I use it when I travel. I can get info out to my customers from a parking lot. I don't have to book hotels that have wireless connections anymore. The speed depends on how close you are to the tower, but I routinely get 1-2MBps speeds. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Same here. I got mine doing hurricane relief last year, and, I got good enough
reception. I've had my laptop in some really off the wall places in the boonies, and,
I manage to get reception. The broadband is slower than DSL or somthing like that, but
you can't beat it for mobility.

It's made my airport layovers alot more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:48:34 AM EDT
i've had it since it was first available as 1xRTT. I can connect my laptop in Atlanta and drive all the way to Franklin NC and stay connected to work. I can drive from ATL to Savannah and Jekyl Island and stay connected. Down 75 North of Macon, Verizon has no towers so from there to Fla border no connectivity. But it works amazingly well for connectivity just about anywhere. I'm going to aspen in a week or so and i will have 1xRTT connectivity there (not the fast broadband but good enough).

I manage servers nationwide and I can use this anywhere almost.

its about 80 bucks a month unlimited. however... there is a point of usage several gigs of usage where supposedly you will get 'the letter' informing you that your service will be disconnected. search the forums for EVDO etc via goggle. I use this thing a ton and never get near the cut off point. i think those that do are dl ing music, warez or tons of videos. one programmer that complained supposedly dl' all of microsofts development stuff (which is a ton) and got the letter.

it is not perfect. but if you need continous connectivity it cant be beat presently. sprint has a competing evdo offering that has no limitations whatsoever and some say is better than verizon. issue with sprint is the lack of coverage.

search EVDO and take a look. currently if you need this type of product nothing beats it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:51:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By st0newall:
i've had it since it was first available as 1xRTT. I can connect my laptop in Atlanta and drive all the way to Franklin NC and stay connected to work. I can drive from ATL to Savannah and Jekyl Island and stay connected. Down 75 North of Macon, Verizon has no towers so from there to Fla border no connectivity. But it works amazingly well for connectivity just about anywhere. I'm going to aspen in a week or so and i will have 1xRTT connectivity there (not the fast broadband but good enough).

I manage servers nationwide and I can use this anywhere almost.

its about 80 bucks a month unlimited. however... there is a point of usage several gigs of usage where supposedly you will get 'the letter' informing you that your service will be disconnected. search the forums for EVDO etc via goggle. I use this thing a ton and never get near the cut off point. i think those that do are dl ing music, warez or tons of videos. one programmer that complained supposedly dl' all of microsofts development stuff (which is a ton) and got the letter.

it is not perfect. but if you need continous connectivity it cant be beat presently. sprint has a competing evdo offering that has no limitations whatsoever and some say is better than verizon. issue with sprint is the lack of coverage.

search EVDO and take a look. currently if you need this type of product nothing beats it.

Boy howdy is it.

After seeing what Verizon is capable of, I switched my cell service too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:53:04 AM EDT
Verizons data network is light years better than Cingulars. Verizon is without a doubt better than any of the others offered. Its a couple of bucks more a month, but well worth it
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:55:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

It's OK. Slower than DSL and higher delay, but it beats dialup. Trying to run a VPN across it is a little painful, however.

my company resells VPN. Cisco, SSL and generic PPTP. I use all with no problems. I evaled a offering that Nextel had and it would not run DES or PPTP, Cisco or the old Altera hardware options.

BTW i connect to verizon in ATL most of the time and one of my VPN servers is in Costa Mesa Kalifornia. Works great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:59:26 AM EDT
I have one of the older XV6601 Audiovox PDA phone w/unlimited internet & I love it! I can connect my phone to my laptop via USB or bluetooth & use it as a modem. I get connections around 300kb. I get connectiveity from Jacksonville to Ky. and down to Miami.

David
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:11:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By st0newall:

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

my company resells VPN. Cisco, SSL and generic PPTP. I use all with no problems. I evaled a offering that Nextel had and it would not run DES or PPTP, Cisco or the old Altera hardware options.

BTW i connect to verizon in ATL most of the time and one of my VPN servers is in Costa Mesa Kalifornia. Works great.

With our IPSEC infrastructure, it works, but it just wouldn't provide the amount of bandwidth we needed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
About the bandwidth, remember, I live just outside metro DC, so I get better bandwidth than most. When I'm at my folks' house in SW VA, I get about 100kbs or twice a 56k modem. It's better than nothing. I pay about $60 a month for the servcie and love it. Oh, and I have no issues at all with my company's VPN (Cisco) over the service.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
Possibly, Verizon connections via towers may be different, eliminating parts of the local loop. That said:

I have Verizon DSL and phone right now. When I have an opportunity to change them, waiting for a planned move, I WILL NEVER HAVE VERIZON ANYTHING EVER AGAIN, AND DON'T EVEN WANT TO HEAR THE NAME ANY MORE. Their DSL is unreliable, and their "support" is a bad joke - snotty, ignorant punks in tech support who have no concept of problem isolation, and 30 minute waits to have even more of my time wasted. Verizon is dirt as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't want anything they had even for free because my aggravation has value.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:40:43 PM EDT
The broadband rocks...
As far as the home service and the other services I have no clue, but the BB ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
Top Top