Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2006 11:20:57 PM EDT
I thought the father liked me, but I guess I was wrong...

Short story:  Girl chased me, yadda yadda, and gave me her number after some chance encounters at college (she's a student, I'm staff *NOT FACULTY*).  We have gone out twice, and I haven't even tried to kiss her yet (frankly, I think my playing the slow-paced gentleman drives her nuts ).  I can tell you though that when she runs her hand though my hair, I turn into a puddle of gooo...

Suddenly, I am no longer allowed to go out with her.  "I don't care if y'all are friends, but etc etc."

She wants to continue, I want to continue.  But I also want to not be the "bad guy."  I really want to respect his wishes, or gain his respect, but dammit, its her life.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep and it went down in a flaming ball of wreckage.

But she was great in the sack.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Pussy.

Don't let some schmo dictate your life.

The only time you have to worry about the guy is when he is your Father In Law.

And then you get to take his advice with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pussy.

Excellent advice right here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been in that situation a couple times. Neither lasted long, they were both "daddy's girl's" and they couldn't stand up to their dad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care because I've never dated a womans parents.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup. One said, well at least he isnt black.  What an ass.  I got even, I did his daughter in his bed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, she lived with her aunt. Her aunt HATED me, I had to put up with some major BS just to get her to her stay out til 10
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have dated a girl for the last few years whose parents used to hate me!!!
It is funny though that they now love me.
I wonder if the law degree has anything to do with it?

Looks like we are going to get married.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I married one even. To this day the father has never spoken to me and her mother only said hi twice in 7 years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.

Once, I married him.

Rich people aren't very nice.

[forrestgump]and thats all I have to say about that[forrestgump]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was first starting out in college I was working my way thru as a production welder.

I was dating this real babe with brains to match.  All was cool with the parents, they loved me... But Grandpa was an old school GP doctor, long since retired. The grandparents got it in there mind that I was not good enough for there only grandchild and came up with a plan to "FIX" the problem.

They held a family meeting where they made an offer - send her to a college acceptable to the grandparents and they would cover full tuition/living expenses plus an extra allowence.

Well the offer was golden to the parents - and they applied there pressure for her to accept the deal.

She caved and grabbed it.

Later on the Gparents admitted she could have choosen any school that was more than 800 miles away from me.

She did part of her education at UC Berkeley - and some other NorCal U's

We had a great time after she graduated - but it soon became apparent that we were not going to make it long term.

After Berkeley - Well lets just say that she was now damaged goods.  We are still good friends, but she is not the girl I feel in love with, and I am not the same man I was either.

( I have since grown a much stronger spine, and I won't take BS games... )
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have never been liked.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah.. but it was because i was white.. it changed over time(5 years).  They liked me in the end... even still friends with the family since we broke up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep.

I was 18, almost 19 and she was 14

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yep.

I was 18, almost 19 and she was 14

Then you will understand the situation I am in...

Quoted:
*simmers down*

Grandparents didnt like me.

*/simmering*

Thats what happened in my case.  They like that I open doors.  They like that I pay her way and mine.  They like that I take her to decent places and that I keep my hands to myself, etc etc.  But because I am the same age as someone that got her into some really heinous shit about 5 years ago, they have a problem:  I am too old for her, and that the law prevents me from dating her.  I know that most here will have a problem with this, but I don't.  I am 22, she is 17 (Age of consent is 16 here, its legal).  Graduated high school 2 years early after getting off drugs (still goes to NA meetings).  She is now pursuing a degree in Pre-Vet.  She met my criteria:  cute, intelligent, likes me for me, and has at least (in this case more) personality than my dog (not an easy task...).   She is conservative, and has lots of guns (albeit in another state at her uncle's house).  Well, there you have it.  I expect some heat for this, but please take in consideration that she pursued me, and having never really found a girl with this much interest in me, I am like a puppy that hasn't seen a human before (and loves belly rubs...).

All in all,  she is rather strong willed and persuasive with her step-father (long story) whom she currently lives with, and I am pretty much leaving it to her to rectify this...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#16]
No, all the girls whose parents I met really liked me.  In one case, this was a bad thing since the girl was this bohemian, gothy pagan type and her parents were affluent professional super-Christians (not unlike most of my family). She had rebelled against them for most for her post-pubescent life.  Her dad helped design the SR-71 and worked at Area 51, so of course he was real interesting talk with and he liked me....all this horrified Adrienne. I got along with her parents better than I got along with her.

My parents HATED the girl I loved the most though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
............... I turn into a puddle of gooo........

TMI !!!!!

let your heart (not your pecker) be your guide.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup.Her parents didn't like me at all.I used to be,err,let's just say,a tad rough!And a  bit older than her.
Once her father realized how much it pissed his wife off that we were together,he got on our side,and gave us the green light.
It's been a great 20 years since then!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Ended up marrying her.  Nearly 19 years in and her parents finally are warming up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#20]
OH yes.........

I have had numorous "We dont like you" from parents, esp whne I was in high school....

There was one girl whos parents despised me so much, that even AFTER thier daughter and I were not dateing, they would still tell me off if they saw me in town,  of course I would return in kind, that would allways get the dad fuming mad.....Sadly they both died in a car accident over a holiday weekend.
Felt bad for the daughter, I know that really hurt her.

The thing is, I never could find out WHAT it was her parents did not like about me, they just hated me.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]
No, but I don't much approve of my wife's father---he's a nutball.  Thankfully, he and her mother are divorced and he lives in the Dominican Republic so I don't have to deal with him.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Pussy.

or stomp his ass, whichever you feel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Once when 18 or 19 the father of the girl wanted to stab me with his pocket knife. He pulled it out as he was standing up. I was in top shape and told him I'd take it awy from him and carve him a new one, I wan't afraid of anything in those days, being invinceable and all.  His wife & my GF jumped in between us and I left with my gf. He was an alcoholic and we never did get along for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah.

My father in law is a flaming liberal and  would bet the farm that he and some of his sisters wishes she would have met another lib.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope.

I'm just that kind of guy. Parents love me!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#27]
One mom took a while to like me because, I guess, I wasn't foo-foo enough for her tastes.

One dad didn't like me at all because I was a "distraction"  to his son.

I haven't met the current bf's family yet (they live 7 hours away from us), but I got their approval so far. His dad likes the fact that I'm a federal employee, his sister likes that I'm not a helpless whining high-maintenance chick, and I'm not so sure about what the mom exactly thinks -- but she knows I support the Second Amendment and maybe that scares her.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope.  I got along better with the parents that I ever did with my girlfriends.  They loved me.  

The girls usually broke up with me within 6 weeks.    

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ended up marrying her.  Nearly 19 years in and her parents finally are warming up.

Seems out of default.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I always got along great with the parents of girls I dated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#31]
If I let that stop me I wouldn't have my wonderful wife and two beautiful kids.  My mother in-law hated me because I'm a gun loving conservative.  She's a liberal teacher and hates everything that is right of center.

My wife is conservative and my boys will be.  Go with what you think is right.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's YOUR life and you need to live it.

ETA: Good luck with the relationship.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#32]
YEP,

My last serious girlfriends parents hated me.  Surprisingly though I was the one paying her way, but I was trying to teach her self-reliance, and why she shouldn't rely on her parents or me for everything.  Her parents despised the fact that I wanted her to have personal responsibility, and that I was not liberal.  We had very very different beliefs in the end her parents one, because I said to hell with it, and finally yelled next.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#33]
hrm.. yup.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#34]
yeah, we were in high school.  first REAL date, but hung out a lot through friends and the local hangout place......anyway, we were fuckin' around in the park and having a lotta fun.  look at the clock-it's 2a.m.  OH SHIT!!!  get her to her house.  just met dad a few hours ago.  he comes out a hollerin' and a screamin'.  she gets out and kind of blocks him off.  and i back out and leave.  next day he calls, "ummm, well i'm sorry-i got drunk in the garage listenin' to the cardinals game on the radio (like he always does) and i got shitty with you for no reason-i apologize."........long silence....... "don't worry about it sir-stuff like that happens-water under the bridge"  he was so drunk he didn't even know what really happened or at what time.  we were together for more than a year after that-he never knew.  yeah chicken shit thing to do-but i was a high school boy and there was some tang to be gotten there.  oh well.....

jake

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, but I married her anyway, 19 years ago.

AB
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Almost all my girlfriends/ wifes parents have loved me.

One of my last gf's mom was a little disapproving. In fairness to her she is only a couple of years older than me, and her daughter is 17 years younger than me. I would have probably been pissed too. I'm 41 she was 24.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Hmm......touchy subject.....

Last serious g/f's parents were alky's and didnt like the fact that I was a full-time student in the Guard and didnt have a "steady job".  We ended up breaking up over an incident at their house one night where the dad got in my face and called me a "lazy bum", a "smartass" and then a "lazy bum" again at the top of his lungs while his chest was touching my shoulder.

Then, said girl started dating new guy while we were talking about getting back together....so I was trying to get back in touch with her....
He calls me one night and says to "stay away from her, that she no longer wants anything to do with me and that if I didnt get his drift, I would soon."

Apparently he's underestimated pure genius.

Then, new serious g/f's parents dont really like me cuz I basically broke g/f and her b/f of 5 years up.....her 3 brothers *especially* dont like me.  I dont really care.
I gave up trying to please people and caring what they thought when Spawn of Satan and her father pulled that shit.  I nadda care, no mo'.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought the father liked me, but I guess I was wrong...

Short story:  Girl chased me, yadda yadda, and gave me her number after some chance encounters at college (she's a student, I'm staff *NOT FACULTY*).  We have gone out twice, and I haven't even tried to kiss her yet (frankly, I think my playing the slow-paced gentleman drives her nuts ).  I can tell you though that when she runs her hand though my hair, I turn into a puddle of gooo...

Suddenly, I am no longer allowed to go out with her.  "I don't care if y'all are friends, but etc etc."

She wants to continue, I want to continue.  But I also want to not be the "bad guy."  I really want to respect his wishes, or gain his respect, but dammit, its her life.

How old are you?
I went through this once, but what you do about it at 30 (nothing-who cares) v. 18 are different.

See the post about 8 above yours.

Quoted:
I know that most here will have a problem with this, but I don't.  I am 22, she is 17 (Age of consent is 16 here, its legal).  

*snip*

All in all,  she is rather strong willed and persuasive with her step-father (long story) whom she currently lives with, and I am pretty much leaving it to her to rectify this...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Hell, even MY parents disaproved of me
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#40]
and when ya' get older it's the kids hateing you for dateing there Mom,,,,at least for some of us
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#41]
     I was working UC at the time I met my wife (at first even she did not know I was the Police), I had long hair, tattoos, smoked, drank and carried weapons.  Her parents flipped out, she was a nice Catholic girl and college student seeking to be a school teacher.  They like me now but at first no way in hell.

6 year and 2 kids later..........................

I am clean cut, still in criminal justice but not a patrol officer anymore.

Went back into the Guard, after taking several years away from military service.

The best part is, after freezing my ass off up north (WI/IL) I moved my family back to Texas.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I usually got a long better with the parents than the girls.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#43]
MY old man didn't approve of MY wife to be 30 yrs ago. He couldn't cope with her ability to make more money than me [ graduating Suma will do that ].

He also didn't approve of me taking a bud's wife places [ like the grocery store or fast food or other innocuous places, errands  ] when the bud was working the occasional side job .  My buddy and his wife thought it was hilarious.

My old man was an old school jackass.

rj
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Yep.  Her folks were big time holy rollers.  Dad hated me, but Mom was nice.  Dad hated me because I didn't go to his church, and Mom liked me because I was good to their daughter and had a future.  After the first year or so things smoothed out considerably.  Eventually after I broke up with her, I understand she completely reverted and found and married somebody her parents liked within a year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Eventually after I broke up with her, I understand she completely reverted and found and married somebody her parents liked within a year.

Any idea how that turned out?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, and im still with her 9 years, a house, two dogs, and four cars later and we still arent married...
Her parents dont like me because I dont make alot of money, BUT we are indeed happy and we dont have to scrape the barrel to make it by... she has a decent job, I have a OK job and together we are makeing a life for us. Her parents in my opinion can go to hell.......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Her step-father hated me..(different race)..There were huge arguments with my wife and MIL even though I was better educated and more successful than any of his blood kids...When he found out I was as big a gun nut as he was we eventually put our differences aside..Going shooting with him the first time was a little scary but thankfully we brought witnesses along..Its 10 years later..we aren't the best of buds but we talk a little..He loves the grandkids so he knows he'd better behave.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#48]
"ME" personally, I would go to the dad and have a talk with him... see what the problem was... may not be you... He may know more about his daughter than YOU know. So it may be her and her behavior and not you.

then again, I could be wrong so, Im gonna go and have an iced tea now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yes, but I married her anyway, 19 years ago.

AB

+1, 6 (or was it 7 ) years ago. They came around. They like me now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top