Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 5:21:46 PM EDT
A bill that pushes for the implementation of a federal law passed in 2004, that allows retired police officers on the force for 10 years or longer the right to carry a concealed firearm, should they meet certain requirements, also was opposed by the police and state attorney general. Hawaii was supposed to comply with the federal law in 2004 and implement rules and regulations so officers can be permitted, and yet so far the state attorney general has not established the program, set any rules or regulations or set a deadline to do so.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?title=UPDATED%3a+Women+Tell+Lawmakers+They+Want+the+Right+to+Protect+Themselves+with+a+Concealed+Firearm
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't blame them.

Irregardless of the subject of this law, I'm tired of federal laws being crammed down the states throats.  Especially laws that cost money to implement that the Feds don't want to fund or pay for.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... Hawaii was supposed to comply with the federal law in 2004 and implement rules and regulations ...

As usual, the press has got it wrong.  

As I read the law, the states are under no obligation to implement any rules or regulations pursuant to the federal law cited so that their retired LEO’s can carry.

It’s also 15 years as an LEO, not 10!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Congress wants to change it to 10
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I want to change it to 3!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Don’t know why they’d change it to 10 years – I doubt there are many folks that can retire after 10 years anyway.

Got any links, bill numbers or other sources on that?

The law does have a variety of flaws that really need to be addressed, but I haven’t heard of anything being proposed.

Also, the cost to implement this is virtually nothing.  OTOH, it really is hard to see how this law is constitutionally allowed under the “commerce clause”.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Until some of these agencies start seeing something about how they will be  covered as far as liability goes, they are going to drag their feet on implementing the program.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Just make it simple... ALL laws prohibiting concealed carry of firearms by citizens who are legally able to possess firearms are hereby repealed.  Make this a federal law that overrides all state, county, and municipal laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top