Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/11/2001 10:24:39 PM EDT
anyone own one? seen one? held one? what is the quality on these rifles? the tactical savage seems to have problems with the synthetic stock...these too? is it a good strong scout mount? and once again...build it or buy it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:39:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:20:52 PM EDT
i dont really like the idea of a detachable magazine on a bolt gun though. seems to me it would be more of a problem than it is worth...could drop it by accident while hiking etc...anyone have one of these guns?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:13:51 AM EDT
I have one and like it a lot. The detachable mag to me is a non issue. Sorta like an Enfield where the mag stays in the rifle for 99% of the time there really isn't much need to remove it except for maybe cleaning once in awhile. The release on the Scout is recessed and uses a very strong spring. Don't think it could come out by accident. I have a Redfield 2.5x scope and even with such low power I can get 1-2" groups with handloads. Most of the time it's more like 2-3" but it's a very accurate gun. Recoil is stout. Leave the harris bi-pod off as it adds too much weight detracting from the Scouts main feature of lightness.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2001 1:46:03 PM EDT by Moose]
I also have one and I am quite pleased with it. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet, but the ghost ring sight is quite nice. I've averaged about a 4" group at 100yds and I'm sure it can do even better. The action was a bit rough at first, but it seems to have smoothed out after some use. I agree that it would be quite hard for the mag to come out by accident.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2001 5:40:50 PM EDT by cnatra]
I just purchased a Savage 10FP tactical .308 with a 20" barrel. Apparently this shorter length is something they do a run of a few times a year. I like the handy length of the barrel & think it won't be to heavy to hunt with. Should be plenty accurate with the heavy barrel & 165-168gr loads. I kind of have mixed emotions about the gun. It was $300 cheaper than a Remington LTR BUT I will spend the $90 bucks to drop in the SharpShooter trigger & the stock is obviously not the same grade as the H&S on the LTR. If I put a new stock on it later I'll be at the same price as the Remington so....? Hopefully it will live up to it's reputation & be a great sub 300yrd shooter. The bolt seems stiff but I think with a little teflon grease & some rounds through it the action will smooth up.
Top Top