Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 10:24:39 PM EDT
anyone own one?
seen one?
held one?
what is the quality on these rifles?
the tactical savage seems to have problems with the synthetic stock...these too?
is it a good strong scout mount?  

and once again...build it or buy it?

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont really like the idea of a detachable magazine on a bolt gun though.  seems to me it would be more of a problem than it is worth...could drop it by accident while hiking etc...anyone have one of these guns?

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and like it a lot. The detachable mag to me is a non issue. Sorta like an Enfield where the mag stays in the rifle for 99% of the time there really isn't much need to remove it except for maybe cleaning once in awhile. The release on the Scout is recessed and uses a very strong spring. Don't think it could come out by accident. I have a Redfield 2.5x scope and even with such low power I can get 1-2" groups with handloads. Most of the time it's more like 2-3" but it's a very accurate gun. Recoil is stout. Leave the harris bi-pod off as it adds too much weight detracting from the Scouts main feature of lightness.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have one and I am quite pleased with it. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet, but the ghost ring sight is quite nice. I've averaged about a 4" group at 100yds and I'm sure it can do even better. The action was a bit rough at first, but it seems to have smoothed out after some use. I agree that it would be quite hard for the mag to come out by accident.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased a Savage 10FP tactical .308 with a   20" barrel.  Apparently this shorter length is something they do a run of a few times a year.

I like the handy length of the barrel & think it won't be to heavy to hunt with.
Should be plenty accurate  with the heavy barrel & 165-168gr loads.  

I kind of have mixed emotions about the gun.
It was $300 cheaper than a Remington LTR  
BUT I will spend the $90 bucks to drop in the SharpShooter trigger  & the stock is obviously not the same grade as the H&S  on the LTR.
 If I put a new stock on it later I'll be at the same price as the Remington so....?

Hopefully it will live up to it's reputation & be a great sub 300yrd shooter.

The bolt seems stiff but I think with a little teflon grease & some rounds through it the action will smooth up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top