Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2006 6:26:03 AM EDT
After thousands and thousands of hot .357 magnum rounds through the ole' Ruger, I finally shot out the barrel.  It looks like a smooth-bore shotgun.  Guess I'll be sending it back to the factory for a new one and to get the pawl assembly replaced, too.  The gun's timing is like "loosey goosey" now but it would line up with with the bolt after I turned the cylinder slightly.

Good gun the Ruger revolvers.  Like the Everready Bunny... it keeps (you know) !!

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
<------stainless GP-100 owner.

I love that fricking gun.  Shoots well, fits well and look bad ass.

Is yours blue or stainless?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you ever post anything that isn't crap????

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Here we go again.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, that takes some doing!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya right.

How many rounds we talking here?

20K-30K?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ya right.

How many rounds we talking here?

20K-30K?

It would take a lot more than that....

He probably doesn't even own a ruger.

All he probably has is a pointy stick, some duct tape, and a wheelbarrow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll go ahead and field that one for lawdog.

NO I DO NOT!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wow, that takes some doing!

Not in the imagination...

Oh yea… I shot out my mini-gun today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
How about posting pics of the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I cant even count the number of rounds that went through my IPSC 38 super comp. Untill the bullets drps through I'll keep it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#13]
This Lawdog ing is getting tiresome.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It would be different if it was entertaining, but it isn't. It is just some random, stupid, made up crap that isn't even remotely funny.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be different if it was entertaining, but it isn't. It is just some random, stupid, made up crap that isn't even remotely funny.

A-fuckin-men.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#16]
post pics!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
.  It looks like a smooth-bore shotgun.  
lawdog

I have never shot out a barrel, but I bet it would be pitted at the breech end, not "smoothed out" from end to end.

So, I gonna have to go with BS on this one and NOT funny.

I love my GP 100.

Stainless 4".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I really don't understand the animosity ya'll have for me.  I have cleaned up my act and have quit misbehaving (The Beekeeper straightened me out) so please... can't we all just get along??

I have been posting gun-related stuff along with interesting material and have asked for advice.  That's all.  Please be kind or simply just don't read my posts.

Reformed Lawdog
P.S.
The Ruger is a 4" barrel stainless GP-100 for those interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I really don't understand the animosity ya'll have for me.  I have cleaned up my act and have quit misbehaving (The Beekeeper straightened me out) so please... can't we all just get along??

I have been posting gun-related stuff along with interesting material and have asked for advice.  That's all.  Please be kind or simply just don't read my posts.

Reformed Lawdog
P.S.

Hey, I have consistantly taken up for you on this board.

I think so of the stuff you post is funny.

But to say you shot a barrel out and it looks like a "smoothbore", makes me think BS.

Although, you could fix this and make me eat my words by posting a pic.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reformed Lawdog
P.S.

Hey, I have consistantly taken up for you on this board.

I think so of the stuff you post is funny.

But to say you shot a barrel out and it looks like a "smoothbore", makes me think BS.

Although, you could fix this and make me eat my words by posting a pic.

All it takes for a statement to qualify as utter BS is for lawdog to say it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I would post a pic of the barrel (I even tried to take one) but all you can see is a black hole.  I don't have the equipment or expertise to got a decent pic.  Sorry.

I have given it some thought though about sending it back to Ruger.  I'm thinking, since the barrel is screwed, I might as well bore it out to a .45 cal. and keep it.  Of course, I would need to find a drill bit about that size and bore bigger holes in the cylinder so the 45's will fit.  I could use a masonry bit to make some lands and grooved in the resized barrel.

Before I do anything though, I need to see about fixing the timing on the cylinder/bolt.

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
And the fact it is a stainless barrel really makes the eyebrows go up.  The Ruger stainless barrels have a reputation for being very hard.  They are difficult to firelap because they are so hard.  How many rounds through the gun?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would post a pic of the barrel (I even tried to take one) but all you can see is a black hole.  I don't have the equipment or expertise to got a decent pic.  Sorry.

I have given it some thought though about sending it back to Ruger.  I'm thinking, since the barrel is screwed, I might as well bore it out to a .45 cal. and keep it.  Of course, I would need to find a drill bit about that size and bore bigger holes in the cylinder so the 45's will fit.  I could use a masonry bit to make some lands and grooved in the resized barrel.

Before I do anything though, I need to see about fixing the timing on the cylinder/bolt.

lawdog

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

lawdog

A budding Hamilton Bowen.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#25]
How many rounds through the gun?

I hand load some really hot .357 mag. rounds.   I use 115 grain bullets that run about 1,850 fps.  The Ruger has (approx.) 350,000 handloads and about 20,000 factory rounds through it over a period of 8 years.

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdog

Yep.

Hey lawdog, send it to me. I will drill it out and send it back to ya.

No, I'm not a qualified gunsmith......but I drove past a Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#27]
No, I'm not a qualified gunsmith......but I drove past a Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago.

Then you are as qualified as I am to work on it !!!

Safe shooting,
lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#29]
desertmoon thinks lawwwwdog needs a bore brush, some solvent and some elbow grease.....

desertmoon also thinks lawdog should stop usin' lead rounds and go with jacketed....

desertmoon also misses the third person perspective of the Neutral Observer, hence this post.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Of course, I would need to find a drill bit about that size and bore bigger holes in the cylinder so the 45's will fit. I could use a masonry bit to make some lands and grooved in the resized barrel.

Yes, that is how I understand all the gun manufacturers do it...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I hand load some really hot .357 mag. rounds.   I use 115 grain bullets that run about 1,850 fps.  The Ruger has (approx.) 350,000 handloads and about 20,000 factory rounds through it over a period of 8 years.

lawdog

What is the average number of days you spend on the range every week?

You have to know that more than one person is going to calculate the number of rounds per range session and estimate the cost for this claim.  How many other guns and rounds do you shoot on average every week?

One thing we have to conclude about this story, you must be a hell of a shot with a revolver.  A virtual revolver ninja, in my estimation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 A virtual revolver ninja, in my estimation.

LMAO.....that's funny as hell.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#33]
desertmoon also thinks lawdog should stop usin' lead rounds and go with jacketed....

You know desertmoon, I never thought about that although I guess I should have.  It may very well be that lead is in the lands and grooves.  I always used those nylon bore brushes and it probably doesn't do a very good job of removing lead.

I'll give it a good cleaning and check again.  Thanks.

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#34]
You're joking about the "masonry bit" thing aren't you?!?!? Everybody knows all you have to do is find the appropriate size rat-tail file, pound it down into the bore from the muzzle end ( a 2-pound machinist's mallet will work), and then start turning that sumbitch counter-clockwise while a buddy continues pounding with the mallet until you get to the breech end. Then, since the rat-tail file will be lodged in the barrel pretty good by this time, all you have to do is get your buddy to hold onto the file while you pound on the muzzle end of the barrel with a punch (or maybe a 3/8 drive extension) until the file comes back out. You'll have a new rifled bore in no time!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdog

What is the average number of days you spend on the range every week?

You have to know that more than one person is going to calculate the number of rounds per range session and estimate the cost for this claim.  How many other guns and rounds do you shoot on average every week?

One thing we have to conclude about this story, you must be a hell of a shot with a revolver.  A virtual revolver ninja, in my estimation.

Thats like 50 rounds a day if he bought one the day it came out and shot if every single day.

That's a lot of damn shooting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

lawdog

Wow! thats an average of 126 rounds per day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdog

Wow! thats an average of 126 rounds per day.

Oh I didn't even see that he said how long he owned it.

That is even more shooting..

heheh..
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You're joking about the "masonry bit" thing aren't you?!?!? Everybody knows all you have to do is find the appropriate size rat-tail file, pound it down into the bore from the muzzle end ( a 2-pound machinist's mallet will work), and then start turning that sumbitch counter-clockwise while a buddy continues pounding with the mallet until you get to the breech end. Then, since the rat-tail file will be lodged in the barrel pretty good by this time, all you have to do is get your buddy to hold onto the file while you pound on the muzzle end of the barrel with a punch (or maybe a 3/8 drive extension) until the file comes back out. You'll have a new rifled bore in no time!

I see you actually STAYED at a Holiday Inn Express.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

lawdog

After you do that, be sure to install Ruger's full auto revolver sear.

Fully automatic revolvers are super cool!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#40]
If a tree falls on lawdog in the forest and no one sees it, does anyone care?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

lawdog

That comes out to an average of 126+ rounds per day every day for the last 8 years. That’s quite a bit of shooting. I usually have to clean my revolvers after 100 rounds because the crud starts making chambering and extraction hard. Maybe your hand loads are cleaner than mine, high pressures do make powder burn cleaner…

It must take an awful lot of dedication to hand load that many rounds and shoot them on a regular basis. What kind of schedule do you have that allows you to handload and shoot two and a half boxes a day, every day?

I would have expected that the revolver would have had a lot of erosion at the barrel cylinder gap by now too.

GP 100s aren’t very expensive especially when you consider how much you spend on ammo. Perhaps you should just buy a new one and retire the one you have in its present condition. In fact, considering how much you shoot them I would buy at least two.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see you actually STAYED at a Holiday Inn Express.

No, that's how we used to do it when I was in 'Nam. Bill Ruger personally issued all the guys in my unit (can't tell you who I was with...it's top secret) GP100s so we could evaluate how well they performed in a jungle environment. Did I tell y'all about the time I bayonetted a MIG?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#43]
pounding with the mallet until you get to the breech end

Ha!!!!  Everyone knows that you start pounding the rattail file from the breech forward.  With a Ruger revolver you first have to remove the barrel from the frame before you start the pounding.

Since I'm on disability and have been for the past 2 years, all I really do is surf AR15.com, hand load, go shooting and ride my motorcycle.  When I go shooting I generally shoot about 400-600 rounds per.
Back in the 1970's when we were issued S&W model 66's I was the range officer and shot regularly.  Was really glad when the heavy framed Rugers came out.  The 66's didn't hold up well to the beatings they took from full-power magnum rounds.

lawdog (revolver ninja)

Be cautious of the man who only shoots a revolver-- he probably knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#44]
You're right, it's MUCH easier to perform my method with the barrel removed! Just having fun with the thread, no disrespect intended!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
pounding with the mallet until you get to the breech end

Ha!!!!  Everyone knows that you start pounding the rattail file from the breech forward.  With a Ruger revolver you first have to remove the barrel from the frame before you start the pounding.

Since I'm on disability and have been for the past 2 years, all I really do is surf AR15.com, hand load, go shooting and ride my motorcycle.  When I go shooting I generally shoot about 400-600 rounds per.
Back in the 1970's when we were issued S&W model 66's I was the range officer and shot regularly.  Was really glad when the heavy framed Rugers came out.  The 66's didn't hold up well to the beatings they took from full-power magnum rounds.

lawdog (revolver ninja)

Be cautious of the man who only shoots a revolver-- he probably knows how to use it.

I didn't know edpmedic moved to Alabama.  

Wait, never mind, your gun didn't blow up from your handloads.

How many sets of dies did you wear out?  That ought to be an interesting number, too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

lawdog

I don't know who's troll account this is but damn that is funny.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Hard to believe,  good luck.   I hope mine is good for that many rounds.

Don't blow yourself up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I have an old friend who has owned a stainless GP100 since 1987 and he hasn't worn it out yet. They are some VERY tough revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#49]
"since I have been out on disability for two years"

"all I really do is surf AR15.com, hand load, go shooting and ride my motorcycle. When I go shooting I generally shoot about 400-600 rounds per."

Don't tell that to the disability authorities
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
desertmoon also misses the third person perspective of the Neutral Observer, hence this post.....

Yes!  Where is the N.O.?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top