Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 5:15:52 AM EDT
So I went to bed this morning at 6:30am when my wife and daughter got up...cause I was off last night and I figured I'd go to bed early and get up early this afternoon before going back to work Friday night. I normally work 10p-8a, and stay up those hours on my off nights.  

Well, at 7:35 my wife wakes me up yelling "someone broke into your Jeep!"  Apparantly my daughter noticed the back door driver's side was ajar as they pulled out of the driveway.
Someone punched a hole in the driver's door with what looks like was probably a flat head screwdriver, right under the lock cylinder. Inside, the glove box was open, but not disturbed, center console (Jeep Cherokee) was open and emptied of the papers etc I had in it were all on the seat. Nothing disturbed on back seat, including the leather jacket on the back seat.
Back end was obviously gone through, but not very much. The first aid kit was tossed in the back seat, the waterproof bag with my two emergency blankets was unstraped and moved, and the black oblong tool box that was under the emergency blanket bag was gone but the big tool box under it was not disturbed at all. not even opened!

The cop taking the report said they were "just looking for easy grab stuff" cause there was no damage to the steering column, but I disagreed with him and he wouldn't hear any of it.  

It was not just a simple "opportunity" cause they left stuff that could have been easily grabbed and carried. My leather jacket, the larger toolbox (which has a better handle for carrying than the one they took, my work bag which had my spotlight/flashlight/etc in it, and the biggest prize they missed, my work tool case with all my vehicle entry tools!  All of which had handles and easy to carry.  The toolbox they took, I know they didn't even open else wthey wouldn't have taken it. It was the kit from when I worked at CompUSA and Gateway as a computer tech. I haven't been in the thing in over a year. It contained an old video card, a bunch of floppies, a few burned CDs of drivers/etc, and a cheap computer tool kit.  BUT.... the case had NAHC, NRA, and other computer stickers all over it.

I think they were hoping I was stupid enough to have left guns in the car, and the case being black plastic, and rectangular, they thought it was .... I'm sure they werre pissed when they opened it....but not nearly as pissed as I am cause now I gotta get the damn door fixed and play the insurance BS games.

Why looking for guns?  I do have a big www.NRAmember.com and a Calvin and Calvinette pissing on "gun control".... but they have been on the vehicle for more than two years.

I was parked on the street, but not in front of my house where I usually park, but in front of neighbor's house cause when I went to get my daughter from her school play rehersal last night, someone else (a vehicle I was not familiar with) was parked in front of my house.

There was a big storm last night, all kinds of rain, and noise....but what pisses me off even more is I was awake in the computer room (on ARFCOM) all night and never knew what happened outside, cause with the storm noise I'd have never heard anything even sitting by the front window, and I didn't have any reason to look outside.

Unbelievable. Had to happen between 10P and 6am. So,  told wife to sleep with the pistol safe next to the bed open tonight when I go to work. Who knows if these people are brazen or not... or if they know which house the car belongs to.

No Expert

<F-word removed from thread title.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds kinda funny to me.

Usually theives will take about anything unless they broke in looking for something specific.

If they were looking for something specific, I would certainly be VERY careful.

The method they used to break in sounds like someone who knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry bro.   That really sucks.  Hopefully everything will work out for you.  Good Luck.    

Forgot to mention to check and see if they got your registration or anything with your numbers and info on it.   Be carefull about that.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]
my cousin lives in dearborn, michigan.    they have have numerous cars broken into and stolen.

my car was parked on the street overnight.  woke up to pick a friend up and found the left hand side of my car smashed in.  $250 bucks insurance covered the rest.  

life sucks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had two of my cars broken into. One was driven off. Get an alarm system. No one responds to car alarms sirens, but in the driveway, you would have heard the alarm go off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quick question.  Was the black case that they took visible to anyone walking by?  If not it sounds to me like they knew they could find a gun in your truck.  If they were just a run of the mill POS thief tipped off by your stickers they still would have taken more.  The method of entry is suspicous and would seem to be planned.  Who walks around carrying a screw driver?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Kind of makes you wonder about that unknown vehicle parked in front of your house.  Casing the area?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt try to read too much into it if I were you.
I have had every car I owned broken into once.
Pretty sad, but it becomes less of a big deal after it happens a few times.

The last time was a lot like what you describe...someone punched the lock in my truck door with a screwdriver I assume. My leather jacket was taken, but my reasonably expensive stereo equipment was untouched....my cell phone was left on the seat....they stold one leather glove and left the other in the truck (they had been laying together on the seat).....heres a weird one...they took a hard shell sun glass case that was empty, but left my $250 sunglasses on the seat that had been inside...a cd case with about 50 cd's was left untouched. A lot of stuff worth money was easily accessible and most things would fit into a pocket...it was mostly left in the truck. After all was said and done, they got my jacket, one glove, and one empty sunglass case. I didnt bother to get a police report but I did call the local police to tell them what happened and where it took place.

Criminals do stupid shit. It sucks that your car got broken into but dont stress out over wondering why they broke in. Just dont leave anything you want to keep in the car when you arent in it.
It pisses me off that it has come to this, but I dont see a lot of alternatives. I just try not to get too attached to material goods.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]

John_Wayne777
Usually theives will take about anything unless they broke in looking for something specific.

If they were looking for something specific, I would certainly be VERY careful.

The method they used to break in sounds like someone who knows what they are doing.

That's what I thought about them not just grabbing everrything with handles, the leather jacket, etc. As for the break in, there are easier ways to get into a Cherokee, I know...cause that's what I do for a living is open up cars for AAA members who are locked out.  The hole in the door is right below, touching, the cylinder and triangular with point down. Looks like what you would get by punching a screwdriver in and wiggling a wider opening.

I am wondering if it was something to do with the extra vehicles parked on the street last night...someone visiting a neighbor.

johndel:
Sorry bro. That really sucks. Hopefully everything will work out for you. Good Luck.

Forgot to mention to check and see if they got your registration or anything with your numbers and info on it. Be carefull about that.

Nope, they didn't mess with any paperwork... glovebox wa opened but undisturbed...not even gone through. Center console all the papers etc tossed on the seat.  Lots of papers shoved in the visor, not touched.

cruze5:
my car was parked on the street overnight. woke up to pick a friend up and found the left hand side of my car smashed in. $250 bucks insurance covered the rest.

Well, $500 deductable for mine... I think I'll end up paying for the whole thing. I'm thinking about going to a local welding shop and have an extra layer of steel welded on the door around the locks/handles and then paint to match.  They wouldn't be able to use the same method again.

tripledouble:
I've had two of my cars broken into. One was driven off. Get an alarm system. No one responds to car alarms sirens, but in the driveway, you would have heard the alarm go off.

Yeah, I know everyone ignores alarms...but you are right, had they opened the door and the alarm went off I would have responded fast enough to maybe see them or the vehicle they got into... since I was awake, dressed, and wearing my 9mm at the time (new CCW, still wearing it alot getting used to the feel)... alot different than if I was asleep in bed.

SWIRE:
Quick question. Was the black case that they took visible to anyone walking by? If not it sounds to me like they knew they could find a gun in your truck. If they were just a run of the mill POS thief tipped off by your stickers they still would have taken more. The method of entry is suspicous and would seem to be planned. Who walks around carrying a screw driver?

No, nothing in my vehicle cargo area is visible from the outside.  I have factory window tint, and then had 3% limo tint put on all the windows except windshield and front seat.  99% blockage. You can not see ANYTHING in my vehicle from side or back into the cargo area unless a light is on inside, and then it's pretty damn hard to make out anything.  lus, the case taken was under a bag containging my emergency blankets, which was bungied down with a larger tool box under the smaller box, all this up next to the spare tire mounted to the inside wall of the cargo area.

I'm still curious as to if they were hoping to find something more than they did or what...and just weren't interested in what was there.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your car, thieves have a special place in the lower levels of hell reserved for them. Too stupid or lazy to work for themselves, not happy enough with welfare, the steal the hard earned efforts of others and are slime.

My rule one is to never leave anything in the car is site - that's tough/impossible in a Jeep without a trunk but a blanket over the junk would help. That leather jacket could have been enough for them to break in just to steal. When I say nothing in sight I mean nothing ... not even a box of dougnuts.

NRA stickers ... nope - do not leak information and give someone a reason to break-in. I think you're correct in that some one figured you had a car gun stashed under the seat or in the glove box. Guns are wonderful finds for dopers who can use them, trade them, or pawn them in the states that aren't very careful about such things.

Jeep is a Cherokee...y'know...SUV...so no open area. Jacket COULD have been incentive...If they could see it bundled on the back seat....but they didn't touch it.

See pictures below in next post.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Photo of entry wound to door:

photo of rear of my Cherokee:

and actually, it's looked like that for more than two years...in fact, since very shortly after I got the Jeep in 2001, so almost 4 years.

and picture of internal cargo area:

If you look on the left side, just to the right of the tire you see a grey toolbox with a green bag on top of it... the black toolbox was between those, and the green bag was bungied down. You can see the impressions on the bag and the bungies next to it.  In front of the tool box is a air compressor, over on the right is my work bag and work tool kit.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
People that break into other peoples cars should be shot in the face repeatedly.

I had someone ransack my Jeep once too, they didn't take anything, just through all the shit out of glove box. What did these dumbfucks think, I leave all my money in there or something?

Fucking scumfucks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#13]
We've also had numerous car breakins. They have left as much valuable stuff as they have taken. Center console is always rifled through where as the glove box is just open. The last breakin they took a surefire flashlight, about $10 worth of change and dumped the gunstock they found in the back just down the alley. Left a full CD case full of CD's, an expensive pair of sunglasses, the expensive stereo system, radar detector and some other not so valueable things such as sand bags for shooting, tools etc. Cost me $250 to replace the limo tint window they broke out. The rest wasn't worth worrying about and we didn't make a claim.
I wouldn't read to much into what they did and didn't take. Thiefs are not predictable, otherwise why would they break into our Tahoe with no stickers versus the neighbors car with an NRA sticker on it that night? We park in our carport, they park outside their garage, no mistaking whos is whos. As far as seeing the gunstock, well like I said the windows have limo tint and the stock was covered with other things in the back. Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wouldnt try to read too much into it if I were you.
I have had every car I owned broken into once.
Pretty sad, but it becomes less of a big deal after it happens a few times.

The last time was a lot like what you describe...someone punched the lock in my truck door with a screwdriver I assume. My leather jacket was taken, but my reasonably expensive stereo equipment was untouched....my cell phone was left on the seat....they stold one leather glove and left the other in the truck (they had been laying together on the seat).....heres a weird one...they took a hard shell sun glass case that was empty, but left my $250 sunglasses on the seat that had been inside...a cd case with about 50 cd's was left untouched. A lot of stuff worth money was easily accessible and most things would fit into a pocket...it was mostly left in the truck. After all was said and done, they got my jacket, one glove, and one empty sunglass case. I didnt bother to get a police report but I did call the local police to tell them what happened and where it took place.

Criminals do stupid shit. It sucks that your car got broken into but dont stress out over wondering why they broke in. Just dont leave anything you want to keep in the car when you arent in it.
It pisses me off that it has come to this, but I dont see a lot of alternatives. I just try not to get too attached to material goods.

y'know...I hear ya brother....but I am one of those analytical types.  Guess I should look into a cheap alarm...just a noise maker for this kind of shit, they are ignored in parking lots, and everywhere else...but damn I would have heard it in front of my house and I was awake.

Gonna suck the most is I am broke right now and I doubt the cost is gonna exceed my deductable at $500.  and if it does, I doubt by much.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey bud, sorry about your car being broken into. But you might want to think about discretion being the better part of valor. You vehicle is screaming, rather obnoxiously, that you own guns. If I wanted a gun, I would break into your car too. I am a member of two different guns clubs, NRA and TSRA, but you won't find a sticker for either on my truck. Only sticker is a eagle, globe and anchor. I believe in discreet carry, speaking softly, etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought an easy target was a unlocked car? They were looking for something that was not there. Looks to me they KNEW you had something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Over the course of my life, I've had my vehicle broken into on three occasions. The first was my freshman year in college, some dickwad smashed the rear (non-moving) on my car and stole my box of cassette tapes. The second was my truck when I was on Christmas break in Atlanta, some asshat decided that I didn't need a box of cassette tapes (that were hidden behind the seat) as well as the cb radio and my Star BKM 9mm (that was in a mounted holster under the drivers seat). The last break in was not really a break in, it was more of me leaving the windows open during a nice day when I was at the post office, some dirtbag stole the handful of burned mix cds from the car as well as a Republic Arms .45 Patriot (I won in a sweepstakes from their website) from an Uncle Mikes holster mounted under the drivers seat.

I can understand how pissed you are, and to want your stuff back. I still want my guns back, not to mention all the time and money I spent making tapes and cds. What the hell is some crack-head fucker in Atlanta gonna do with Elvis Live or Kentucky Headhunters?? I hate thieves. Too lazy to work for their shit so they steal from people that actually work. Bunch of losers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey bud, sorry about your car being broken into. But you might want to think about discretion being the better part of valor. You vehicle is screaming, rather obnoxiously, that you own guns. If I wanted a gun, I would break into your car too. I am a member of two different guns clubs, NRA and TSRA, but you won't find a sticker for either on my truck. Only sticker is a eagle, globe and anchor. I believe in discreet carry, speaking softly, etc.

Yeah, but you'd think after 4 years of being "tagged". and parking the beast in alot worse areas than in front of my house, the odds are it would have been hit for that sooner.

The vehicle that was parked in front of my house last night now bothers me. We have new neighbors (from last year) across the street that no one really knows...and it's entirely possible that it could have been "visitors" and not someone strolling through the neighborhood.

Semper Fi.

No Expert

Off to go see the shop for an estimate...spoke to the adjustor (adjuster?) on the phone.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Bold decals and all that junk that can be easily seen thru the windows make that rig a huge target for car prowls / or vandalism.

just my .02
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#20]
+1

I sanitized my vehicles after the OKC Bombing.  Living in California, the freaks WILL mess with your vehicle if you advertise your normalcy; like having an NRA sticker.

I've actually had, on two different occasions, people leave long written rebuttals to my bumper stickers.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Decals make your vehicle stand out. You are more likely to be noticed for that reason. Those particular decals also scream "gun owner" Perhaps they were hoping for a firearm.

Remember, smash and grab thieves are not typically the brightest bunch. I've had various cars broken into over the years. Each time the car was a heap to begin with. USAA said that I was the first person ever to make a claim with them for a stolen Hyundai. It had stereo equipment stickers and some other cheesy visual mods that made it stand out. The stereo stuff had already been removed, hwoever. The thief went for a joyride, totaled the car and left my CDs, machete and everything else behind.

Nobody has tried to break into the only nice car I've had. Of course, it is alarmed. It just gets hit by morons in the parking lot at work.

I once had my '89 Jetta broken into and my Clarion CD player stolen. To remove, all one had to do was pop off the trim ring with your fingers or a screwdriver blade, pull the unit out and unplug the wire harness and antenna. The thief pried it out with a screwdriver breaking the dash up good (and probably damaging the player at least cosmetically) and cut all the wires, including the antenna wire. idiot.

The damage bothered me more than the CD player. It was on its last legs anyway. The work to repair the antenna lead and wiring was more than I would have sold the CD player for.

I never put any decals on of any sort now and always keep anything that looks valuable out of sight. Sorry about the incident and good luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#23]
As usual, criminals piss me off. Sorry about the loss and the damage.

I'll echo what a few have said, that the decals may have made your car a bigger target.

Firearms are a nice haul for thieves, and anything that might make them think there are firearms present is going to heighten your risk.

I once bought an enclosed  trailer for hauling my bike to the track, and at first I was thinking about putting some decals or graphics on the side. After re-thinking, I left it blank because I fgured it was an invitation for trouble to advertise what was inside.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bold decals and all that junk that can be easily seen thru the windows make that rig a huge target for car prowls / or vandalism.

just my .02

Take alook at the middle picture above again...you can't see ANYTHING in the cargo area, not with 3/4 of the cars windows limo-tinted on top of a factory tint.  

anyway...as you can tell..I'm back from the estimate. Now they pissed me off!

I told the guy I had a $500 deduct, which he already knew from the faxed insurance paperwork he got. I told him there is not alot of damage and that I wa not looking for "pretty"... I wanted the hole fixed, structurally sound, and working normal.  As inexpensively as possible cause it's all likely coming out of my pocket.

What does he give me??? A $468 estimate with "possibility for more" if during the repair any parts they have to take off gets broken.  WTF?!?!  He wrote up a repair to make the whole door loom like it just came out the factory and was showroom new.... the jeep is "well-loved" (as my daughter would say) and not a beauty queen.

So I left there, headed up Telegrahp towards the house... 2 miles away, and stopped at the first "mom & pop" type collision repair center. Spoke to the guy inside, told him what I wanted...a patch a primer repair....  so he said he'll pull the lock clinder out, repair the hole damage, weld it up, smooth it out, primer it, and put the lock back in. I said great, I'll worry about hitting it with paint later...just long as the metal is taken care of. He says $200 bucks, drop it off monday, have it back tuesday.

Hell, I'm thinking about sanding down the lower 1/2 of the beast all the way around, primer it, and then coat the thing with truck bed liner.

When I got home, I bent the flap back out to close the hole up a little and hit the bare metal with some rustoleum black to help hide the fact that there is a hole there with shiny metal.

I'm going to bed, I've been up basically 21 hours except for about 45 minutes this morning, and I got a 10 hour shift tonight.

Thanks to everyone for the moral support, and allowing me to rant.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Guess I should look into a cheap alarm...just a noise maker for this kind of shit, they are ignored in parking lots, and everywhere else...but damn I would have heard it in front of my house and I was awake.

No Expert

Dont waste the money.
I had alarms on the three cars I owned that were broken into.
One of them was parked in my driveway, about 35 feet from where I slept.
I always got alarms in the vehicles I owned...not so sure I will waste the money on my next vehicle.

Good luck with your vehicle.
I was so jaded after the last break in, I never even bothered to fix my doorlock. Its broken on the passenger side now, and I dont care. No sense in fixing it if its that easy to punch out again

Criminals suck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#26]
They typically like to use the cover of a rain storm to break in.  Sound and visibility are dampened.  Plus, people usually sleep deeper during the rain.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess living in a large city sucks.  Sorry for you loss.   I live in BFE,  have not had a problem with  RKBA, on one side, and 223 on the other.     I keep getting sheep asking what the hell do they mean.   I tell them route 223 is great, try it some time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Who walks around carrying a screw driver?  

A car thief?

Might not have been a screwdriver.  Thieves have been known to use an old fashioned style can opener
to cut through the sheet metal and gain access to the lock mechanism.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
...not so sure I will waste the money on my next vehicle.

Good luck with your vehicle.
I was so jaded after the last break in, I never even bothered to fix my doorlock. Its broken on the passenger side now, and I dont care. No sense in fixing it if its that easy to punch out again

Criminals suck.

Well, I'm gonna get the hole repaired...then I think later I'm gonna get a plate welded on around the cylinder for a couple inches.... at least take away this "easy extry point" and make them work for it if someone wants to do it again.

kingfish:
They typically like to use the cover of a rain storm to break in. Sound and visibility are dampened. Plus, people usually sleep deeper during the rain.

That's what we figure...it was a noisy storm... bad part is I was up and awake (on ARFCOM) the whole night cause I was off.

woodbutcher22308:
I guess living in a large city sucks. Sorry for you loss. I live in BFE, have not had a problem with RKBA, on one side, and 223 on the other. I keep getting sheep asking what the hell do they mean. I tell them route 223 is great, try it some time.

Is that the oval sticker KBA like the country stickers and is the 223 on a highway sign  like background?

LoginName:
Might not have been a screwdriver. Thieves have been known to use an old fashioned style can opener
to cut through the sheet metal and gain access to the lock mechanism.

Good point, but looking at the hole...it was likely a flat head screwdriver or like a pry bar, the hole is a vertical slit right up against the base of the cylinder, and then there is a triangular flap where it was bent over.

And a screwdriver or other "everyday tool" is less likely to draw suspicion if they are stopped (cause I don't think they were people just walking through the neighborhood) in a vehicle and there is a screwdriver on the floor, seat, or whatever.  Be a whole lot different if a slim jim, or other actual vehicle entry tools...like for instance what I had in the back of my truck.  I keep a recent paystub in my jacket pocket  in case I'm ever stopped and the cops find the tools in my vehicle....since the locksmith I work for hasn't issued me the "AAA contractor" I.D. yet.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to guess the BG was looking for a free firearm.  He saw your NRA sticker and thought maybe you had a gun stashed in the truck.  He did a quick search, didn't find one and left.

ETA:  I'm sorry you got screwed.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Well good things you were responsible and smart enough to not leave your guns in your car, unlike some of the yahoos around here.  It's so easy to break into a car, and people will do it anywhere.  You could be in broad daylight in a crowded parking lot or at night at home, they don't care.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the reasons I put NO decals on my car. I believe you were targeted by your decals, not an average thief.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Punching a hole under the cylinder to flip the lock is the easiest and quietest way to open a door with out a slim jim, or breaking a window. This leads me to believe that the perp knew what he was doing and did this before, and it is easily done with a standard flat screwdriver. (My family ran a body shop for years, and repaired this often) My opinion is with the guys who thought that theHUGE NRA sticker may have drawn some moron's attention......the whole incident probably took 5 minutes or less........SemperFi!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm going to guess the BG was looking for a free firearm.  He saw your NRA sticker and thought maybe you had a gun stashed in the truck.  He did a quick search, didn't find one and left.

That's basically what the Cop said,  Wonder if he believes it now?

The cop taking the report said they were "just looking for easy grab stuff" cause there was no damage to the steering column, but I disagreed with him and he wouldn't hear any of it.

Quick hit for a car gun and be gone.  The decals definitely say "look here first"  Didn't take the jacket or tool box because you can't easily hide them when walking if you've already got raing gearon.  Quick hit, stuff the likely bag under the jacket and keep walking or riding the bike.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm gonna say teenage kids. They probabley don't know where to hock stuff yet, so they just take stuff that they want to keep. Whats valuable to you and me isn't or might not be to a teen that lives at home and couldnt explain tool boxs etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's basically what the Cop said,  Wonder if he believes it now?

Quick hit for a car gun and be gone.  The decals definitely say "look here first"  Didn't take the jacket or tool box because you can't easily hide them when walking if you've already got raing gearon.  Quick hit, stuff the likely bag under the jacket and keep walking or riding the bike.

well, you misread my original post.  I was the one telling the cop that they probably hit my car thinking they would find a gun...he said iw as likely a random "grab what they can"...yet they didn't grab anything that was easy to grab. The toolbox they did take, was about 10x5x30 inches...not easy to conceal under a coat as easy as say the stuff they DIDNT take.  The cop didn't think they were looking for anything particular...I think they were simply becauze the toolbox they took, COULD (to some people) be misconstrued as a gun case.

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top