Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 5:13:44 AM EDT

And furthermore, why I am getting stuck paying $130 for a dress for my wife to attend a freaking wedding of a girl who she has only known for six months and is basically using my wife as a filler in her wedding party!!?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Because your wife agreed to be a bridesmaid?  She could have said "No thanks" and made up an excuse.

It's a friend of hers.  You can't just refuse to not be involved in a wedding you're invited to.

Big weddings just plain suck.

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, just go, eat $130 worth of shrimp cocktails, and hope your wife really appreciates your sentiment and wants to play wedding night when you get home
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to let you know ...
There are conduct rules in this forum!
No ofensive language... ie MARRIGE, BRIDESMAIDS, WEDDINGS!

We should ban you for this hideous tounge you speak!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
$130?  You're getting off easy.  When my sister got married, my wife and all 3 daughters were bridemaids.  [we need an empty pockets smiley]  Dress, shoes, hair, make-up - I could have had a new STG-58 for what I spent.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dude, just go, eat $130 worth of shrimp cocktails, and hope your wife really appreciates your sentiment and wants to play wedding night when you get home

+1 , just get your money's worth in food and alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can't just refuse to not be involved in a wedding you're invited to.

Why can't you?
Being that you have already committed, just make up that $130 at the open bar and cocktail hour.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]

probably no alcohol at this one, guys....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Weddings are largely scams IMHO. And this is coming from a happily married man. I don't mean to say that it's a scam to get married in itself necessarily, but there's enough women out there with the princess mentaility who think that they deserve whatever they want for their wedding no matter the cost, so the people who cater to weddings price things accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Why are the dresses ugly too?  No alcohol???  I would not be attending.  Free booze is the only way to get me to a wedding.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why are the dresses ugly too?  No alcohol???  I would not be attending.  Free booze is the only way to get me to a wedding.

+1 No booze = NO SHOW!

EDIT: Proof that this thread is evil....my 666 post
DON'T GO IT'S A TRAP
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Because idiots pay outrageous prices.  (Just like you build your own AR, you should sew the dress!   )

No offense BB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Because your wife agreed to be a bridesmaid?  She could have said "No thanks" and made up an excuse.

It's a friend of hers.  You can't just refuse to not be involved in a wedding you're invited to.

Uhhhh, yeah you can, especially when you've only known the person for six months and you're being used for filler in their wedding party. Contrary to the popular belief of little girls, brides, Mothers of the bride, and the Bridal industry, brides are not entitled to everything they desire.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Because idiots pay outrageous prices.  

Yup - the entire wedding industry is based on suckers overpaying for shit.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dude, just go, eat $130 worth of shrimp cocktails, and hope your wife really appreciates your sentiment and wants to play wedding night when you get home hty.gifhr

I agree with GhostShooter, especially if they have an open bar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Umm....and you're still considering attending because.......????
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]
They cost so much because the market is cornered on them. There are only a limited number of companies that make them, and they all rape people on the price. If the Chinese could make one that looks decent and sell it at walmart, the prices would plummet overnight.

I'm no expert in weddings, but I thought that the people getting married were supposed to pay for shit like bridesmaids dresses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I am female and I plain flat DECLINE to attend ANY wedding commotion unless it is simply to stand at the side of a friend at the courthouse!  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am female and I plain flat DECLINE to attend ANY wedding commotion unless it is simply to stand at the side of a friend at the courthouse!  

Hello!    

So   uhhhhh, have you visited the Oklahoma Hometown Forum yet?      
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you Rented a tux latley?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Judging by the weddings that I've been to, most of the expense is due to the over-building and reinforcement required to keep the overweight bridesmaids from splitting seams and grossing out all of the other wedding guests.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Weddings suck.  Had to go to 5 last year.  I know after the last wedding, no one is going to ask me to be a groomsman.

<-------------
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why do bridesmaid's dresses cost so much?

And furthermore, why I am getting stuck paying $130 for a dress for my wife to attend a freaking wedding of a girl who she has only known for six months and is basically using my wife as a filler in her wedding party!!?

Because you love your wife very much and support her decisions and like her friends. New ones and old ones.

But mostly you're trying to stay on her good side in hopes of future pie.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Women are usually ready to doll out plenty of pie after weddings, go and enjoy yourself.

Thank the good Lord above you have the $130 to spend.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Fuck it. I wouldn't go then.

Get the wife to wear some sexy lingerie under her dress. Reap the rewards.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I love my wife.  Our wedding, including the rings, cost under $200.  That's right - under $200, including the rings.  No big bullshit.  She bought her pretty white dress for $10 off a clearance rack at Kmart, I wore my one suit, she made a great cake, and we got plain white gold bands at Service Merchandise.  Oh, and I made the punch and put peanuts in a bowl.  Everyone had a great time, and we've been married for 16 years now.

My sister's FIRST wedding cost $20,000 and lasted 18 months.  Brother's cost $10,000 and lasted 2 months.  Each of their second's cost about half of their first, but still . . . . jeez.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#28]
IT'S A TRAP!!!!

Seriously, the entire "big wedding" scam is just that - a scam, it is a rip off, designed to cause people to spend stupid amounts of money to impress somebody else that doesn't want to even attend the wedding.

Save the money, have a small wedding, use a small church, or a judge, or justice, or notary public (depending on your state). Take all the money you would have spent on the "big wedding" and use it for something more meaningful.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I love my wife.  Our wedding, including the rings, cost under $200.  That's right - under $200, including the rings.  No big bullshit.  She bought her pretty white dress for $10 off a clearance rack at Kmart, I wore my one suit, she made a great cake, and we got plain white gold bands at Service Merchandise.  Oh, and I made the punch and put peanuts in a bowl.  Everyone had a great time, and we've been married for 16 years now.

My sister's FIRST wedding cost $20,000 and lasted 18 months.  Brother's cost $10,000 and lasted 2 months.  Each of their second's cost about half of their first, but still . . . . jeez.

Sounds like you've got a good wife who knows what really matters in life.

Our wedding was a bit more than that. We spent about $5000 including the honeymoon, but both of us say that if we could do it over again we'd probably just do a really inexpensive wedding like you guys did.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sister wanted me to be a groomsman for her fiance in her $50,000 Pretty Pretty Princess Wedding.

I said Hell No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top