Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 1:47:50 AM EDT
I'm getting sick of retro and retread.

Not that I don't like some of the things that have been brought back - the new Mustang, 60's Brit Pop, hiphuggers, etc. but it's at the expense of any ideas.

I was looking at upcoming movies...

When A Stranger Calls, remake
Curious George, remake
The Hills Have Eyes, remake
Pink Panther, remake
The Shaggy Dog, remake
16 Blocks, not a remake, but it's "The Gauntlet" thinly remade
Firewall, remake of a British movie
Brokeback Mountain, completely original. Great.

TV is even worse....damn near everything is either a rip of reality "talent" shows, or remakes of british sitcoms.

You think back to the 80's, and you identify it by its culture, its styles, it's music and movies. Same for the 70's, same for the 60's. What are they going to say about now? What was the '00's all about? Reliving the past? Has all the good ideas already been done, or is everyone just lazy?

I don't know....but my diet coke is wearing off and I'm going to go to bed, which is ironically what I did yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Creativity is dead in Hollywood.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
They all seem the same these days.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
new movie Poseidon = remake
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Curious George is a movie?!?

Sweet.  I love that little monkey.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as the Coen Brothers are making movies there's hope!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:15:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If I photoshop DrFrige's head onto a spider body, does that count as new?

(How about his body with a spider head?)

Two actual thoughts:

1.  The 25 to 35 year old "demographic" is now old enough to both have, and afford, nostalgia.

Proof:

2.  Ecclesiastes 1:8-11
All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.

Even your lament isn't new.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

1.  The 25 to 35 year old "demographic" is now old enough to both have, and afford, nostalgia.

It's hard for me to give the 25-35 year old generation (which I'm barely out of) any slack for being nostalgic. You're still young, what the fuck is there to be nostalgic about? And why didn't people in the 80's pine for those good old 70's when THEY were 25-35?

I don't appreciate your point.

I think romanticism of yesterday is being marketed (ala "Remember the 80's/90's/last week" on VHI), not remembered. When I was a teenager in 1986, you couldn't go to the mall and buy 1976 clothes in the trendy shops, but I'll be god damned if right now you can't go buy all the horrible shit I wore in 1986 in the mall, and it's thought to be swanky.

I have a hard time pining for something that just fucking happened.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard for me to give the 25-35 year old generation (which I'm barely out of) any slack for being nostalgic. You're still young, what...is there to be nostalgic about? And why didn't people in the 80's pine for those good old 70's when THEY were 25-35?

I think romanticism of yesterday is being marketed (ala "Remember the 80's/90's/last week" on VHI), not remembered.

See, I do that all the time.  I say something, someone makes a quite sensible (if vehement) objection, and I end up agreeing, because that's part of what I was trying to say and didn't.

I think romanticism of yesterday is being marketed....

And I said "old enough to both have, and afford, nostalgia. [emphasis added]

I think we agree, at least on this.  (I hate leaving standing disagreements.)

And, since I'm apparently better communicating in visual means...

Is it new?

(maybe I'm not better in visual means....)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
it's just another sign the the end times are here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Curious George is a movie?!?

Sweet.  I love that little monkey.

He is a chimp, mokeys have tails.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag for the DrFrige smackdown.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
How about a mat with different conclusions you can jump to?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Give me money to make a zombie movie, it will be cool
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]
they need to start dosing hollywood with acid....then maybe they'll come up with something slightly entertaining
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/brisk322/frispi.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/brisk322/SPIFRI.jpg

Is it new?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in the process of writting a screen play...

I think it is pretty original...

It is about this group of guys that loves guns...especially AR-15's, 1911's, and Glocks....they always bicker about which is better for a given situation....Anyway they shoot the shit at the gun shop and then go to the range and blow through about 3 thousands rounds...one guy shoots wolf, one guy shoots milsurp, and one guys shoots reloads...then they go home barbeque/grill up some roadkill they picked up on the way home and drink light beer..they argue about which is best....Coors, Mich, or Bud.....then call up the womenz a girl they overheard giving her number to a guy who actually has some moves....and get denied....then decide to watch Brokeback Mountain together.......

Its a work in progress....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard for me to give the 25-35 year old generation (which I'm barely out of) any slack for being nostalgic. You're still young, what...is there to be nostalgic about? And why didn't people in the 80's pine for those good old 70's when THEY were 25-35?

I think romanticism of yesterday is being marketed (ala "Remember the 80's/90's/last week" on VHI), not remembered.

See, I do that all the time.  I say something, someone makes a quite sensible (if vehement) objection, and I end up agreeing, because that's part of what I was trying to say and didn't.

Is it new?

Oh THIS site hit a new low...Brisk.... YOU ARE ON THE LIST FOR SURE!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As long as the Coen Brothers are making movies there's hope!

And the Farrelly brothers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I watch Korean, Chinese, and Japanese movies if I want to see something somewhat original. They're subtitled of course. Sometimes, they suck. It's a crap shoot.

I also listen to latin and jazz music because Top 40 is lame.

As for TV, I do like to watch Overhaulin'. It's the same thing every episode, a car is refurbished. But, I like cars and I like to see the transformation process. The fake stolen car ploy is lame.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I seriously wanna see the Curious George cartoon. Grew up with him I was a kid.
I hated the Dr Suess characters, I always thought they were ugly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it new?

Oh THIS site hit a new low...Brisk.... YOU ARE ON THE LIST FOR SURE!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top