Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 11:01:16 PM EDT
Ok, I have to know what is going on with this!  First off, I just turned 23.  Not really into the typical "lets party and get drunk" thing, got that out of my system in Germany when I was in the service.  So I tend to do my own thing and not worry about what other people think.

At the community college where my classes are, some of the kids come in looking like they are painters or carpenters that can't afford new clothes.  Only worse than that actually.  My father is a professional carpenter and has been for almost 30 years, and only his bib overalls look as bad as their clothes.  "Paint" marks, looks like they were washed with dirt, holes and every seam is frayed.  Some of the hats they wear are like that too.  

I know damn well none of them do anything (work) in their jeans to make them like that.  I've worn out a lot of jeans, and you get holes in certain places.  Both of your pocket seams don't get perfectly frayed at the same time.  WTF is up with cutting your jeans up the seam at the bottom too?  I know all of this is the style, but I don't understand why and personally I think every person I see that constantly wears jeans like that looks like a fucking idiot.  My girlfriend has 1 pair that came with a frayed hole like that, but only b/c she got them on sale at a good price.  I've worn jeans that were ragged out, frayed, and had holes, but I sure as hell didn't buy em that way.

Should I take some outside and shoot them with 4 buck, then sell them on ebay?  Would probably get more money if I did a burnout on them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
<biting my tounge>

I wear somewhat spendsy jeans, that are professionally "distressed."

The really nice ones are personally distressed by a professional distresser.  

They ARE in style...

My vote is to shoot, and sell on Ebay....I MAY bid!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll venture to guess that the kids you are talking about are middle to upper class whites?

There has been a popular culture draw through symbolic means to the lower class over the past few years.  The mix of upper-class fashion (Lets say, Abercrombie and Fitch) with worn-out but trendy clothes has become the norm for certain circles.

I'd imagine a good argument could be made that this is a react to the "Reaganite" college years.  Talking the talk without walking the walk, in terms of being lower class, seems to be the new fad.

For the younger crowd, I think it may be a bit different.  They may be trying to distance themselves from the "Mommy bought me this" phase.  

Keep your eyes on popular music fashion to try to understand youth subculture.  Keep in mind that the "ragged clothes" look is a sin to the hip hop culture.  They seem to be polar opposites... their 1980s were not exactly based on the clean cut look.

YMMV

- BG
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop worrying about how other people dress, or else you'll spend the rest of your life obsessing over things you can't control and don't like.

BTW, I'm wearing assless chaps and a hot pink halter top right now. How's that grab ya, mr. fashion police?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
As soon as  I lose weight and fit into my old crappy jeans, they will be out of style.

So, to hurry Murpyhy's Law along, send your Gym Membership donations to...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stop worrying about how other people dress, or else you'll spend the rest of your life obsessing over things you can't control and don't like.

BTW, I'm wearing assless chaps and a hot pink halter top right now. How's that grab ya, mr. fashion police?

+1 Who give a shit what people like to wear, that is unless you wear black jeans with white tennis shoes. That has to be my biggest pet peeve next to gun show all cammo commandos. I just saw a good one the other day, guys on a motorcycle, old Honda shadow, he has on a black shirt, black jeans, black leather vest and freaking big ol white high top tennis shoes. Shit cracks me up.

Oh and listen swingset, Ohio is only big enough for one of us to be wearing assless chaps around, that means one of us is going to have to take them off. I propose a Indian leg wresting tournament. The winner can wear the chaps, the loser .....well you don't want to  know what happens to the loser of an Indian leg wrestling tournament.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll venture to guess that the kids you are talking about are middle to upper class whites?

Yes, you are correct.  I think they look silly, and they'll probably think I look silly when I wear a leather jacket, race boots and gloves, helmet, and back protector when I ride my bike to school this spring.  Different strokes for different folks I guess!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
NOTE:  I don't give a shit what people wear, they could wear a bra and a jock strap and I wouldn't give a shit, as long as they stayed away from me.  I just asked a simple question based on my observations the other day.  I'd estimate 85%+ of the people that came in were wearing jeans of this nature.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NOTE:  I don't give a shit what people wear, they could wear a bra and a jock strap and I wouldn't give a shit, as long as they stayed away from me.

May I suggest moving to one of these, where you can write your manifesto on aged pants...

Grey hooded sweatshirts and dark sunglasses are all the rage in the wilderness, too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
^ tehe good one ^
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
<biting my tounge>

They ARE in style...

So,you buy the jeans that look like i wore them all day working under my truck?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
to the rest of the people my age, they're trendy.

To me, you're too fucking cheap to buy new clothes. I am not even that cheap, and I got an expensive hobby to maintain
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NOTE:  I don't give a shit what people wear, they could wear a bra and a jock strap and I wouldn't give a shit, as long as they stayed away from me.

May I suggest moving to one of these, where you can write your manifesto on aged pants...

www.unabombertrial.com/gallery/images/cabin.jpg

Grey hooded sweatshirts and dark sunglasses are all the rage in the wilderness, too.

Swingset is in rare form this evening!

But where did you get a pic of my cabin?  and how did you know about my manifesto?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry I upset you swingset.  You've obviously taken this personally.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

YMMV

- BG

Awesome post minus the "YMMV". It just does not fit!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<biting my tounge>

They ARE in style...

So,you buy the jeans that look like i wore them all day working under my truck?

Well...

Do you have rhinestones, and fancy detailing to go with the tire marks?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I love how the "distressed" jeans cost $100+, and most have the marks and cuts in the very same places. You have to pay $200+ to get "personally" distressed jeans that are unique.
I'm 24, I buy my jeans from Old Navy (cant beat $20/pair) and then my various home improvement projects tear'em to hell.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You'd better be careful the dog doesn't sniff your butt or I imagine you'll get quite a thrill.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I think that pants shot up with buckshot would be a huge selling point to idiots on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a professional Jeans Distressor, I have about 10 pairs that are throughly & authentically distressed, no poser machine job here! I will exchange them for new new jeans that need to be distressed. Two new pair for one pair of the distressed jeans.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Kids have to buy their jeans pre-distressed because the natural wear pattern would be on the backside from them sitting onntheir asses all day.

IT'S A UNIFORM.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's how I see it. I'm 26. I've been wearing worn out jeans most of my life, because I like them that way. My favorite pairs are quite worn. They get this way on their own, because apparently I like doing things that torture clothing (I was in a crawlspace two days ago, for example).

Having said that, I do like to buy distressed jeans now and then. When I purchase brand new stiff and dark blue jeans, it takes at least a year before they're look nice and worn in. Right about the time they start to look nice and feel comfy, I get a hole in the knee. Buying jeans that look old saves me the trouble, and I get to start off with something that looks aged AND with the material thickness intact. To you, it's paying a premium to buy fucked up jeans. To me, it's saving at least a years worth of my time. I like jeans that look worn in. I don't care if I did it, or somebody else did.

Some companies do it right, others don't.

You know something else? Anymore, I don't like wearing jeans when I'm working. I wear coveralls now when I'm under the car or welding in the garage. It's gonna take a long time for my normal jeans to fade and wear.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Ripped jeans were cool in the 80's....probably just making a comeback.
Go watch an early Bon Jovi or Def Leppard video...they all wore that crap back then too.

Who cares...you wear your clothes, let stupid people spend lots of money on half ruined clothes.
Not your money and not your concern
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I stopped in a store a few weeks ago and saw some "distressed" jeans with holes and even paint all over them selling for about $60-$150.  Hell, at that rate if I sold all my clothes, I could afford that FA I've been wanting
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]
just happens to be the "in style trend" .  No biggie.  Much better than wearing your pants 4 sizes too big and having your underwear showing IMO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]
There's something else to consider. "Designer" jeans are cut differently, and aren't as durable to begin with. The cut is a matter of personal preference, but in my mind a pair of artificially distressed "designer" jeans look cooler than a pair of fucked up Rustlers from Wal-Mart. I have trendy jeans that wouldn't last 6 months if I abused them the same way I did normal jeans. In other words, they'd never get a chance to look worn in - they would develop tears in the knees, and I hate that.

This is why trying to sell off your buckshot ridden oil stained pair of 501's would never fly. They look nice and worn in, but the cut isn't what alot of people are after. You'd be missing the point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
If I want a pair of jeans to get ratty looking everywhere, I have to do it myself, because the first place to wear out on my jeans is the crotch.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm wearing assless chaps and a hot pink halter top right now.

SCHWINGGGGGG !!!!!

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#28]
It's nothing new.  Like just about every fashion trend, it's just a variation of something that has already existed.  From faded and worn looking jeans to the more extreme version now.  I'm waiting for the pre-ripped clothes to start selling again.  Remember those from the mid 80's?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Shit, I buy all my clothes at the Salvation army.  Not only are they already distressed, some guy died in them!  
How 'bout that for "Pre-distressed"?
Plus they only cost four bucks, so for very little cash I'm stylin'
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Get with it buddy, that's the "vintage" look. You pay a lot of money for old or "used looking" clothes. I was at the mall the other day with my wife & we walked into some store that sold "vintage" clothing. I told her, "So they're selling old & used clothing for a premium & labeling it as vintage? We're outta here."

To quote P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a good snarfing laugh!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Change this;

So I tend to do my own thing and not worry about what other people think.

to this;

So I tend to do my own thing and not worry about other people.

and life is much easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top