Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:01 PM EDT
I have shipped many rifles from Nebraska to an FFL in another state.  I've never had to ship them FROM an FFL in my state TO and FFL in the other State.  I've always just shipped them myself TO the receiveing FFL (does this make sence so far?)  

Now, I've sold a gun on gunbroker and the guy wants me to ship it THROUGH an FFL in my state which will cost me $20 to do.  I told him this is bull shit and there is no need for me to ship THROUGH an FFL as long as I send it to HIS FFL.  I told him if this is the way he wants to do it then send me the $20 and I'll send it through an FFL.  He say's this is the way it HAS to be but he will not send me the $20.  I've never had this issue before.  What the hell is his problem?  Have you ever heard of a requirment to mail from one FFL to a recieveing FFL?????????
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
tell him to kiss your ass if he doesnt like it.  either he ponys up the $, or you do things your way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I AM correct though, right?  It does NOT need to go through an FFL in MY state.  It only needs to go TO an FFL in his state.  Right??????
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
that's correct as far as i know.  you could double check with your FFL to make sure, but i'm about 90% sure that it is kosher
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand the receiving end has to have the FFL unless you sent it to a gunsmith for repair then he can send it back to you...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That right.
Some FFL holders want it from another FFL though.  Not a law just they want it.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I AM correct though, right?  It does NOT need to go through an FFL in MY state.  It only needs to go TO an FFL in his state.  Right??????

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i am an FFL and you are right.  it does NOT have to be shipped from an FFL.  be a nice guy though and enclose a copy of your drivers license.  the receiving FFL has to verify where the gun came from,  this is the easiest way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I'm sticking to my guns on this one (no pun intended).  If he want's it shipped though an FFL, he sends me the money to do it.  Why should I pay for HIS FFLs policy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack this thread but mine in the legal section didnt get many responses.

I am in Iraq and my AR is at my parents house in WA ST. I will be visitng my best friend in VA this summer. Is there anyway that my dad could ship my rifle to me when I will be in VA?

Again, I am not trying to hijack this thread.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Shipped from you to an FFL is correct.
But, if you don't want to do business his way (which obviously makes him feel good), then find someone else to do business with.
Part of a business deal is wiling to meet the will of others.
Don't want to? Move on.
cc, out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my AR is at my parents house in WA ST. I will be visitng my best friend in VA this summer. Is there anyway that my dad could ship my rifle to me when I will be in VA?

Thanks

only if he ships it to a VA FFL., you fill out a 4473, do the NICS check, and (probably) pay the transfer fee.

how stupid is that?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Right from GUNBROKER . . .

Here is a URL to GUNBROKERS page that backs me up on my position about the FFL requirement.  You'd think with the amount of money Gunbroker is making from the sale of firearms that they would check this out pretty carefully with th BATF.

www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFaqView.asp?faqid=1118

A quote from the link above . . ..

Shipping Legalities

Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped only to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). The recipient must be have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top