Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 3:31:44 PM EDT
Long time members know that every year I have my Grandmother live with us during the winter and that every year she regularly "complicates" my efforts to take care of her.

I'm trying to remember she is 84 years old and that we are simply lucky to still have her around pulling stunts like she does.

Well today she comes home complaining about how much of a ripoff Mail Boxes, Etc. (UPS Store) is and that they charged her .55 cents per stamp for a book of .39 cent stamps. Well I know Mail Boxes, Etc. can be pricey but that just didn't sound right so I got in my car and drove over to complain a little.

After 10 minuts the proprietor was certain I was some crazy person and had no idea what I was talking about. He assured me that he doesn't sell .39 cent stamps for .55 cents and that NOBODY there has taken advantage of my elderly grandmother and he was there all day and knows nothing of the incident.

So I get home and re question my Grandmother about the facts of the day.

And it turns out that she bought a book of stamps at the local Hadji mart around the corner (where she shouldn't have been because she only goes there to buy ice cream and we told her she isn't suppossed to) and the clerk didn't overcharge her for the book of stamps but simply short changed her $5.00 (another reason I told her not to go to that store). Then she wanted to go to the store herself and demand her $5.00 back more than 4 hours after the fact.

So now the local MBE guy thinks I'm nuts and my Grandmother is still going to the local Hadji Mart to buy ice cream after a triple bypass last year.  And they are stealing from her and for all I know she is inadvertently funding Al Quida.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Invisible Fence?

CO

ETA: I'm sorry.... I have to be stopped.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just enjoy the ride and her company. After 86 yrs youre not going to change her. Old folks have their way of doing business and to change it takes an act of God. Would you rahter she eat IC and get ripped off or be grumpy b/c youre reining her in?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Invisible Fence?

CO

ETA: I'm sorry.... I have to be stopped.

Yeah...Heay grandma...check out this neat necklace we got you...has a small black box and everything!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would just enjoy the ride and her company. After 86 yrs youre not going to change her. Old folks have their way of doing business and to change it takes an act of God. Would you rahter she eat IC and get ripped off or be grumpy b/c youre reining her in?

Yep
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: after a triple bypass last year.  

My Pops had a triple done in Des Moines last year at the Iowa Heart Center & they are excellent!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just be glad she isn't 93 and still driving.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the great things about getting old is you get to be crotchety and ornery and don't have to give a flip what people think.  And you can say things that pi$$ people off without repercussions.

Remember the old old guy, Burgess Meredith ....  Grandpa Gustafson ("Pops"), on Grumpy Old Men?  I wanna be just like him when I get old.

I am going to be hell on wheels when I turn 80.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top