Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 1:30:04 PM EDT
Budget is $600ish looking for low operating cost and preferably non-gas.

Thoughts, reccomendations?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Sunday paper.  Sears, Best Buy, Home Depot & Lowes should all have ads from reputable brands.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for thoughts.

What brands to avoid?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Surprisingly, Maytag has developed a recent reputation for reliability problems. Whirlpool (and its products sold under Kenmore, Roper and other brands) is usually pretty trouble-free. Frigidaire's quality has greatly improved recently, thanks to its acquisition by Electrolux. Perhaps DrFrige will stumble on this thread and elaborate.

The front-loading washers seem to do a uniformly excellent job of getting clothes clean. They use a lot less detergent and water than top-loaders - You can just about recoup the washer's initial cost in savings on detergent alone. (Some city electricity and water utilities also offer rebates for their purchase - For example, here in San Antonio, you get $200 in credits on your electric and water bills). Front-loaders also do a better job of removing the water than most top-loaders - It's almost like having every load go through a "pre-dry cycle". Since the clothes are drier when they come out of the washer, your dryer doesn't have to run as long - yet another cost savings.

Biggest disadvantage of front-loaders is that you have to stoop down to load or unload them. You can avoid this by buying a stackable washer/dryer pair, and then stack the washer on top (rather than the more common practice of putting the dryer on top). This allows you to remove wet, heavy clothes without stooping. If you get lucky, you might even find a dryer with a door that opens downward - This makes a handy shelf that you can drop the wet clothes on to before flipping them into the dryer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
bump for more please???
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This being ARFCOM, I'd say get both the washer and the dryer!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Checkout Consumer Reports at your local library, they recently(ie in the past few months) did a pretty extensive report on washers and dryers and they also a survey of reliablity of various makes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bump for thoughts.
What brands to avoid?

Roper.  It's Whirlpool's cheapest line, designed to be a disposable item.  Whirlpool's other brands are KitchenAid (very pricey) and of coarse, Whirlpool.  Kenmore doesn't make anything.  All their stuff is made by someone else with the Kenmore name slapped on it.

My dad used to work in a Appliance Sales & Repair store after he retired from teaching.  He said the FRIGIDAIRE GALLERY SERIES was probably the best quality & value combination on the market without going with commercial grade stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Roper.  It's Whirlpool's cheapest line, designed to be a disposable item.

In general, Roper products have exactly the same parts and construction quality as the other Whirlpool-produced brands. They are less expensive simply because they have fewer features.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In general, Roper products have exactly the same parts and construction quality as the other Whirlpool-produced brands. They are less expensive simply because they have fewer features.

Perhaps they have changed, but years ago I recall dad telling me that they used such cheap components that many of the parts were no longer available.  So when one broke down replacement parts were, at times, no existant.

In my line of work I'm also going into people's homes, including lots of trips to low income government housing.  I see Roper brand products there more than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread needs some DrFridge bait.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know the cost but I have nothing but good to say about Speed Queen. Dryer is 24 years old and still going with only minor repairs that I did myself. Got about 20 years out of the washer before we placed with another SQ...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
if ya can swing it get he Sears HE3 or HE4
Can get some REAL good deals on em at their outlet stores located around the US
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my Fisher and Paykel set.  I know they've had some maintenence (sp?) problems, but mine have been perfect.  The best thing about them is that the washer spins fast, really fast.  It spins so fast that the clothes are barely wet when you put them in the dryer.  They're dry enough that the dryer cycle is less than the wash cycle, so when you're doing multiple loads, the dryer is always ready when the wash is finished.  You can cycle multiple loads very efficiently.

Cabby
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Fisher & Paykel
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I shopped around a found a scratched washer at one store, and a floor model dryer at another store.  They were a matching set, too!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Maytag use to be the best, I don't know anymore.  I haven't bought any good ones in about 4-years that ws a dryer, Maytag not a single problem.  I have a 20-year old washer that is a maytag, I keep wanting to replace it, however it just keeps going and going.  I will never buy a product from Whirlpool ever again, biggest POS company ever and their warrenty in BS

I had installed a Whirpool water heat about a year ago. It goes out, burner will not stay on.  So, I replace the thermo cuppler. Won't work.  I call the warranty people, they say I probably over tightened it and need to go buy a gas valve.  second trip to Lowe's. Replacing a gas valve requires removing everything and completly drainging the unit. Ok drain and replace, piolet light will not stay lit.  Call warranty people, third time, at this point I got about 8-hours in the job. He says well you might have messed up the new thermo cuppler when you installed it to tight the first time. Go get another one and try that, I point blank ask him to replace the unit and he says they won't.  I tell the guy to to kiss my @ss and that I am buying Maytags only. I am sure he didn't give a crap and was glad to get me off the phone. Took me only an hour to install new, that fired right up and has been working ever since.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I still have the same Kenmore washer dryer set that I purchased in '97 when I bought my house.

Never a problem.

I think back then I paid around $600-700 ?  Not sure on prices these days.

You get the FREE 1-2 year manufacturer warranty where the serviceman pops in a time or 2 a year ( you have to call them ). He will do preventative maintenance: ie  clean - inspect etc.

Use this FREE tuturial so after the FREE warranty period you can inspect - clean them yourself  :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Alot of the front loaders are a higher effeniency and will save you about $100.00 in electric and water expenses(not to mention detergent as they use less water)per year. Over a 10 year period it may end up paying for itself, vs getting a cheaper top loader, that will save you nothing.

The gov is giving tax breaks for energy effecient heating and cooling, see if something will be available for other appliances as well. It may just make more sense to pay a little more now.

I have the Maytag Neptune series washer and drier with the touch screen control, the one issue I had they came and took care of(mildew on the door seal of the washer, replaced with a new seal that doesn't mildew).

I think the world of the set, and can recommend them in confidence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Go around to Sears, Lowe's and Best Buy and see if you can get a floor_model for less.
I did for an oven range at Sears and a refrigerator at Lowe's. I got two discounts (on both), one was because it was a discontinued_model and the other was because it was a floor_model. I'm a cheapo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I reccomend an electric washer and dryer in the $600 range!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I am an appliance salesperson (I used to sell washers/dryers, but don't anymore). Please don't buy a frigidaire.
Stick with Whirlpool or Kenmore. If you only have $600 to spend, get the best washer you can get, and buy the cheapest dryer possible, as long as it is big enough (around 6.5 cubic feet, at least) to fit a full load of washed clothes in. Get one used, or a clearance model, like some have suggested.
I say again - BUY THE BEST WASHER YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD. The dryer doesn't matter nearly as much, and at your budget, you won't be aiming for all the newfangled features on a dryer anyway.
WHATEVER YOU DO, dont just go out and get a $300 washer and a $300 dryer.

My suggestion: A washer with a 3-speed motor, like
This (sears item # 26852)
and whatever dryer you find lying on the road.

Then later get a front-loading washer and get the dryer you found on the side of the road a tune-up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I love my Fisher and Paykel set.  I know they've had some maintenence (sp?) problems, but mine have been perfect.  The best thing about them is that the washer spins fast, really fast.  It spins so fast that the clothes are barely wet when you put them in the dryer.  They're dry enough that the dryer cycle is less than the wash cycle, so when you're doing multiple loads, the dryer is always ready when the wash is finished.  You can cycle multiple loads very efficiently.

Cabby

FISHER & PAYKEL!!!!

thats what we have, this is the company i represent and they are THE BEST.. of course I may sound one sided but I only service quality products and this is the BEST by far... simple technology and you cant beat the price.

Washer model is the GWL11US, Dryer they have a few different ones.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Listen to DrFrige !!!!!!
I posted a similar topic a month or so ago.  We looked at and researched all the major brands.  Dr.Frige recommended Fisher/Paykal and we checked them out.
We bought them and are VERY happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Look into the LG's.
I bought a set (way over your budget) and they are excellent.

You might be able to find a great deal on a used set by getting to know the delivery guys at Homie D or (b)Lowes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Listen to DrFrige !!!!!!
I posted a similar topic a month or so ago.  We looked at and researched all the major brands.  Dr.Frige recommended Fisher/Paykal and we checked them out.
We bought them and are VERY happy with them.

HA SUCKER!!! I GOT MY F**KIN COMMISION OF YOU!!!    I mean... GREAT... you will be very happy!!!

WIth all the people that I recommend I SHOULD get a commision check from them guys!

Dont you just love that spin speed?? Sounds like a jet engine & your clothes are practically dry when they come out of the washer!!! Cuts down on dry time so  saves you money there as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
DrFrige, what are the brands to stay away from?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a Resident Advisor in a dorm at WSU (Go Cougs!) for 2.5 years.  The/all  floor(s)  had Maytag washer and dryers that were probably 10 years old when I got there.  Zero maintenance during that time at probably 18 hours/day run time.  I bought a set after that experience for my home  and they have run now for 15 years with no problems.  I have heard that Maytag has been bought since then, but my experience has been stellar.

Thinking of only the period of my time: 2.5 years x 30 members divided by family of 4 = 18.75 years equivalent use.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ALL of them! I only like Fisher & Paykel or Whirlpool Family ones (Roper, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Kitchen Aid)

Run like hell from GE and Maytag... the older Maytags were GREAT! the new ones are worth less than a skidmark.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALL of them! I only like Fisher & Paykel or Whirlpool Family ones (Roper, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Kitchen Aid)

Run like hell from GE and Maytag... the older Maytags were GREAT! the new ones are worth less than a skidmark.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

OH NO YOU DONT!!!! Im waiting.... I KNOW THIS POST is a trap... where is the spider pic??? There is one hiding... Isnt it?? ISNT IT??? .. I KNOW YOU MAN!!!! its gonna sneak up and BAM!!! 8 legged hell..... where is it??? WHERE IS IT?????

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

OH NO YOU DONT!!!! Im waiting.... I KNOW THIS POST is a trap... where is the spider pic??? There is one hiding... Isnt it?? ISNT IT??? .. I KNOW YOU MAN!!!! its gonna sneak up and BAM!!! 8 legged hell..... where is it??? WHERE IS IT?????

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????

There, now you guys went an done it... Ya made him paranoid.... Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#32]
drier is a part of a refrigerator,dryer is for drying your clothes.

Roy
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell,always see them in weekly Trader type want-ads,Pennysavers,etc for CHEAP.Just picked up a new (to me)dryer for FREE to replace my mid 70's model.
Just have to get used to someone else's skivvies having been there first.
Invest savings in ammo.You're welcome!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Here it is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????

Damn, didn't mean to disappoint ya.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????

Damn, didn't mean to disappoint ya.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/2A373/Brown-recluseSpider_02-Closeup.jpg

I FRIGGIN KNEW IT!!!!!! THERE IT IS!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I will probably just buy a used set when I move to Idaho this April. No point in buying new when I am going to move in a few years...

I will avoid GE and the newer Maytag stuff thanks to you Dr. Frige..

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I will probably just buy a used set when I move to Idaho this April. No point in buying new when I am going to move in a few years...

I've got a 10 year old set that has been though 4 moves in NC that you can have.  I have no idea what brand they are, but the only thing I have had to replace on the washer was the agitator dogs and haven't done any thing to the dryer.  The wife wants to buy a new set when we get to FL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got a 10 year old set that has been though 4 moves in NC that you can have.  I have no idea what brand they are, but the only thing I have had to replace on the washer was the agitator dogs and haven't done any thing to the dryer.  The wife wants to buy a new set when we get to FL.

Would love to take you up on the offer, as I will be driving past NC from FL on the way to NJ pick up
the wife.  However, my truck will probably not have the room for them and it would probably cost me more to rent a trailer to get them their, than just buying them in ID.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Whirlpool Ultimate Care 2 models - we got ours at Lowes for a great price, they are very high quality and have been moved twice and are working wonderfully for us.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#42]
be careful of flood-damaged units transferred from the katrina area...and sold as new...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHERE IS IT!!!!!??????

My hats off to you sir... That is THE BEST Spider pic EVER!!!!!

But now... I must do this to you...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
...snip...   I will say this: it does NOT spin fast enough to really dry the clothes well, so a dryer cycle takes 1.5-2 times longer than the wash cycle.

Good point, sometimes you can read in the specs what the G-forces are in the spin cycle.  Higher G-forces will save you bookoo's of dollars in the long run as it is less water that has to be evaporated from your clothes.  Remember it takes 8.3 BTU's to raise the temperature of a gallon of water just 1° F, but it takes 8080 BTU's to evaporate that gallon of water into steam.  We have several "UNIMAC" brand commercial washers at the Fire Stations I work at, and the specification stated they could throw about 90-sum-odd G's of force in the spin cycle.  Clothes were pretty darn close to dry when they came out of there, and almost nothing drips.  Trouble is that they had to jackhammer out the flooring and pour a slab on concrete with a set of bolts set up in it to secure the washers when they went into the spin cycle.  Otherwise it bounced around like R2-D2 on crack.

I would definitely be taking your advice were I to buy today, but before you talked about them here, I'd never even heard of F & P.
-Troy

F & P tend to market their product to higher-end customers from what I gather.  I saw a cutomized jet that had a F&P dishwasher on board.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top