Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:34:04 PM EDT
I was rummaging through a box o' crap and uncovered an old model rokcet engine...a C6.

How safe would it be to attach this thing (I was thinking superglue or duct tape) to a dowel rod and light her up?

Then again, there is the return to earth and bonking someone on the head...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Um... I'll hold your beer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
i used to tape them to straws, its not too bad
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done that.  They're not very stable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
most likley you could not predict where it would go.

if you plan to do this PLEASE use an electronic model rocket ignitor and not a match.
you could have just as much fun by drilling hole half way thru a 4x6 and dropping the engine in it and doing an engine test.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

you could have just as much fun by drilling hole half way thru a 4x6 and dropping the engine in it and doing an engine test.  

oh, I seriously doubt that
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you mean?  i am trying to keep him alive and all his shit unburnt.  .  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting for the  "Y'all watch this"
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
super glue about 16" of dowel rod to it, stick 5-6 seconds of fuse in and let 'er rip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
We used to build PVC launchers for them.  Be sure to wear goggles as the engine might still be burning when it exits the tube.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you mean?  i am trying to keep him alive and all his shit unburnt.  .  

well, I wasn't factoring in the "alive" part
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You could do what that dood did in the compfused vid and stick it in a friends ass and light it while hes laying on his back...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pipe about 1 1/4" in dia. and about 3 feet long that will serve nicely as a launching pad.

No wooden dowels.  How about i cut up a wire hanger?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a pipe about 1 1/4" in dia. and about 3 feet long that will serve nicely as a launching pad.

NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
do you really want to "fly" a lawn dart up to 5 hundred feet or so and let it fall back to earth?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
do you really want to "fly" a lawn dart up to 5 hundred feet or so and let it fall back to earth?

are you worried about the construction of the much feared "abc" weapon?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#17]
In the name of science, some risks have to be taken.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't be stupid.  You'll need to ignite it electronically as I believe fire DOES NOT work.  If you use metal coat hanger remember to wieght the top and have no overhang so that it does not become a projectile.  Maybe you should just forget about this and instead make mini flares with post-it notes, fuse, tape and a road flare cut open.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Video it and I will host it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't be stupid.  You'll need to ignite it electronically as I believe fire DOES NOT work.  

you've never used model rocket engines apparently
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You'll need a dowel if you want a stable flight. The stick on a bottle rocket acts in the same manner as a tail on a kite.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't be stupid.  You'll need to ignite it electronically as I believe fire DOES NOT work.  

Fire works reliably with black powder engines but not with composites.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck ya, green fuses from local hobby store....Light and run, forget those old grey turn key push button little kid NASA feeling ignitors where the switch has a flah light bulb where you are supposed to be mission command igniting a SATURN III launch vehicle.

Light and Run, light and run.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll need a dowel if you want a stable flight. The stick on a bottle rocket acts in the same manner as a tail on a kite.

oh great.  now he's going to want to strap it to a kite.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Normally I'd say don't do it, but since it's you, go right ahead.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Ought to be fun...use about 2" of green waterproof cannon fuse to light it.  Most blackpowder shops (muzzleloaders, etc.) stock the fuse.

Ain't fun if it ain't dangerous!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Boring. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  put it in a rocket and put as much ffff as it can lift.  glue on the nose cone and wahla...ballistic missle
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
when i was younger, we took a pvc pipe(4' long), taped the eloctronic ignitor to the side of the pipe,ran the wires to the end of the tube, and taped a piece of metal to the end to keep the rocket engine from falling out.

it was a lot of fun.  the small rocket engines would go a long ways - even though they weren't inside a rocket.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#29]
BTDT, dove for cover! Soda straw. It was fun, I'd do it again

aa
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't use wire for the guide rod.  It is too heavy.  Voice of experience here.

Use a lightweight dowel, 1/8" hardwood is perfect.  Make it 18" long as this has worked for me.

Tape it well to the body of the engine and use a wood kitchen match for the "fuse".  Jam it head first into the nozzle .  Suspend the rocket in a pipe and light the other end of the match.  The flame will hit the head and the rocket will ignite.

I launched some mega salutes using D12-7 engine this way.  These were 5 gram flash salutes...lots of fun as they went about 1000 feet before exploding.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#31]
what ever you do dont crush the body in a vise or roll it on the ground under foot. esp just the center part then put in an ignitor and bury it... it just make make a small crater
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Used to do this all the time. A dowel rod works perfectly. By the way, when I was a kid we made a bazooka out of some 8" round duct. Rocket motors taped to sticks were the ammo.  Turns out the makers of the motors knew that kids would do this and adjusted the power curve to start slow.
So what ended up happening was the rocket would sputter out of the tube and fall on the ground. It would then go full blast and go off in some crazy direction.
I solved this problem by rigging a device that allowed me to hold the rocket until it was up to full power then release it.  Laser beam straight shots. We even put a sight on it. The old man hit me on the head and took it away.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Used to do this all the time. A dowel rod works perfectly. By the way, when I was a kid we made a bazooka out of some 8" round duct. Rocket motors taped to sticks were the ammo.  Turns out the makers of the motors knew that kids would do this and adjusted the power curve to start slow.
So what ended up happening was the rocket would sputter out of the tube and fall on the ground. It would then go full blast and go off in some crazy direction.
I solved this problem by rigging a device that allowed me to hold the rocket until it was up to full power then release it.  Laser beam straight shots. We even put a sight on it. The old man hit me on the head and took it away.

You are not doing it right.  You need a bit of 4F blackpowder in the nozzle.  We would fill the nozzle level with it, sealing it with a bit of tape, then punching a hole in it with a needle and inserting the ignitor.  Seal it with some more tape.  For some reason, electric ignitors work best.  Anyhow, you need to seal the tube so the 4F acts like a booster charge to launch the rocket.  Yes, there was some recoil.

We made special rockets for this.  Three thin cardboard strips were the guidance for the rocket.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Wicks work.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Darwin Awards are made here
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#36]
A brass rod works well.  A C also has plenty of space for BB's that are ejected by the parachute charge.  If you use a staging motor, a nice charge of powder will produce an excellent bang.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#37]
had a supply of engines but got tired of chasing them... glued fins on the outside of the body- straw and made a nose cone- flew damn far.. scrape clay off top and fill with 4f for some more fun...

roth
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
OOohh...I like the way you think.  All I have is 2f on hand though.

Quoted:
had a supply of engines but got tired of chasing them... glued fins on the outside of the body- straw and made a nose cone- flew damn far.. scrape clay off top and fill with 4f for some more fun...

roth

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Video it cause you will be on America's Funniest Video competing for $10,000.00
And will be laughing OAO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Darwin Awards are made here

sig line material right there, noobie.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Did it all the time, glue a marble over the end and slap a 24"dowel on the side & light it off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No wooden dowels.  

Go to home depot or a crafts store.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I treid that when I was 12.  I taped one to a wooden yard stick and launched it out of my bedroom window.  It flew up a little ways then down into the vacant lot across the street from our house.  It then ignited the dry grass where it landed.

I grabbed a bucked of water ran over to try to put it out, by then it spread in a circle about 10 feet wide.  One of the neighbor came running over with his door mat and started beating it out.  We finally got it put out.  He gave me a long lecture about playing with illegal fireworks.  

Hell of a way to meet the neighbors.  We had only been living there for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is what I have done:

1.Make nozzle larger
2. Insert cannon fuse
3. Insert into launcher (PVC tube)
4. FIRE IN THE HOLE

I did this in the middle of town and no complaints, I did start a pile of pine needles on fire though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Been there, done that.

We used to make missiles out of them.

I didn't use streamers.  Much easier to find if you just glued the nosecone on.  The'd just drive themselves into the ground.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I know there's something fun to be done with this engine and some Tannerite . . .
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I was rummaging through a box o' crap and uncovered an old model rokcet engine...a C6.

How safe would it be to attach this thing (I was thinking superglue or duct tape) to a dowel rod and light her up?

Then again, there is the return to earth and bonking someone on the head...

done it tons of times . tape a #12 onto a dowl and tape a bunch of other fire works onto it interconnecting the fuses and light that sucker .

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Make some fins and stabilizers for it.............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top