Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:07:58 PM EDT
abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=nation_world&id=3908335

Man who killed, raped girl asks judge to spare his life
(2/15/06 - SARASOTA, FL) - A weeping Joseph Smith apologized Tuesday for the abduction, rape and murder of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia two years ago, telling a judge he had taken large amounts of cocaine and heroin that day in hopes of killing himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smith told Circuit Judge Andrew Owens, who will sentence him to death or life in prison, "I do not ask for mercy for myself. The only thing I can see to give me a life sentence is for my family. I do not want to see them hurt any further."

Carlie was abducted while walking home from a friend's house in February 2004, an attack that was caught on a car wash surveillance tape and broadcast nationwide.

Friends and even Smith's brother said they recognized the burly mechanic grabbing the young girl's wrist on the tape as Smith. A jury found the 39-year-old guilty last November and recommended by a 10-2 vote that he be executed.

Owens will ultimately sentence Smith on March 15. Under Florida law, he must give the jury's death sentence recommendation "great weight."

Smith told Owens during the second day of the sentencing hearing Tuesday that he had been a heroin addict since he was 19 and had unsuccessfully tried to quit several times. He said his wife had kicked him out of their home in January 2004, he had lost his job and, in the hours before abducting Carlie, he tried to overdose.

"I just wanted to die that day," he said. "I take responsibility of my crimes. I don't understand how this could have happened."

But prosecutor Debra Johnes Riva said Smith was lucid enough after the crime to stash Carlie's body and get rid of her clothes and backpack. And days later he told his brother where he had put the body.

"He has an absolute, complete memory of the crime," Riva said.

Riva dismissed arguments by defense attorney Adam Tebrugge about Smith's drug use and the idea that he could lead a productive life in prison and be a positive influence on his three daughters if spared.

None of that, she said, "outweighs the horrible crimes that were committed against Carlie Brucia."

Tebrugge had implored Owens to spare Smith, saying that he had sought help for his drug addiction but never received it. He also suggested the community would better heal if Smith was given life in prison and forgotten, rather than sentenced to death, meaning years of appeals.

Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, could not attend the sentencing hearing because she is jailed in Pinellas County on drug and prostitution charges. In a letter read by Riva on Monday, Schorpen said the pain of losing her daughter led her to institutionalize herself three times and take drugs to numb the pain.

Carlie's stepfather, Steven Kansler, said Tuesday that he wasn't moved by Smith words or the arguments.

"It doesn't bring Carlie back," he said. "I'll be happy when I see him die."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Allow me.............

Get the fuckin rope!

Mercy?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, this thread's a dupe, even though I'm too lazy to post the original.

Let me re-iterate my thoughts as expressed rather graphically in reply to the original thread:

Carlie, God Rest and Protect her precious, precious soul, I'll bet begged for mercy from this demon-spawned waste of fucking tissue.

Nice to see how her pleas for mercy were met by you, you Goddamned piece of cum dripping from the cunt of a Demon Whore.

I hope that this fucker's death goes HORRIBLY wrong, and hurts like a cast-iron bitch for hours and hours and hours and is broadcast on Comedy Central so I can laugh my ass off at his suffering before I hope he spends an eternity burning in Hell.

He better thank whatever demon he worships that I, as the Daddy of a precious, precious, little girl, am not in charge of his punishment, because I GUARANFUCKINGTEE him he'd be BEGGING ME to kill his piece of worthless shit ass by the time I was done with him.

Marcellus Wallace would be proud of how I'd handle this inhuman piece of unorganized grabastic SHIT.

Die, Motherfucker, Die. Slow and Painful.

Ask me how I REALLY feel...

SG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
As another poster put it so perfectly in another thread:

"What mercy did he show little Carlie when she cried and begged for her life?"  

What mercy did he show as he forced himself into her?
Burn in hell Smith,  we're done with you here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
"off with his head!"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"... telling a judge he had taken large amounts of cocaine and heroin that day in hopes of killing himself. ..."

The judge should point out to him that the state is going to help him get his wish!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This piece of shit should be dead by now! You know the video of her getting taken? Well, ive been there. The exact place. Over christmas, I visited my g/f I met here at school and it's 5 minutes walking from her neighborhood. You can CLEARLY see it from the main road. The spot she was nabbed at is 20-30 feet across a parking lot from a major street! Theres no accident in something like that

This fucker should be dead by now
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
quote from waterboy:

"cut his fucking head off"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
but granting mercy is the christian thing to do
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

God forgives, I want to render his ass unto Caesar.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

god can forgive him for us(so we dont have to), and god can forgive us for killing him
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck him. He deserves to die like few others, in total fucking agony.

And her Mom is currently incarcerated for prostitution.

Poor little kid never really had a chance at all.

Breaks my heart to think about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And that is yet another reason I'm not Christian.

If left to me I'd butcher the lot of these fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just cheked with the guys in the warehouse, and mercy is on backorder. Sorry!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just cheked with the guys in the warehouse, and mercy is on backorder. Sorry!

hopefully quick and painless death is out too. Maybe we could get some long, torturous, painful death instead?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I go by a simple but to the point saying...

"God forgives people, I dont"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1. Our job is to arrange the meeting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Crimes like this are exactly why we do executions in this country.  Someone that is such a savage that they'd do these kinds of things to another human being, especially a child, doesn't deserve to live anymore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Our job is to arrange the meeting.

And if up to me it's gonna be a sloooow ride.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top