Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:01:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is it in every report about crime in England they say their police don't carry guns.  The news reports I see make it sound like the average Joe in England would be shocked if the typical day beat cop was armed.  Yet I have seen many pictures where they have police officers not only carrying firearms but carrying sub-machineguns.  Do only officers guarding high level buildings carry?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are airsoft.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why is it in every report about crime in England they say their police don't carry guns.  The news reports I see make it sound like the average Joe in England would be shocked if the typical day beat cop was armed.  Yet I have seen many pictures where they have police officers not only carrying firearms but carrying sub-machineguns.  Do only officers guarding high level buildings carry?  

I saw a good amount of MP5-wielding cops in London and even more "rapid response vehicles" as I think they were called.  Basically vans full of machine-gun wielding officers that drive around.

I went by Parliament three times (mostly to harass the protestors that are always there) and there is always an armed presence outside.

That's as much as I know and it is based on my experiences almost two years ago.

- BG

EDIT:  To answer your question... there ARE armed cops, but not a huge percentage of the police force is armed.  When they do have guns, they tend to have some serious firepower.  Not once did I see one with just a pistol.  Never saw a shottie either.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice guns. Silly hats.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice guns. Silly hats.

well armed cab drivers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
EOTechs too

what pistols? G17s?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched some of the Windsor Castle documentary on PBS. The guards were marching around with SA80s. Below is a picture if someone can confirm that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
EDIT:  To answer your question... there ARE armed cops, but not a huge percentage of the police force is armed.  When they do have guns, they tend to have some serious firepower.  Not once did I see one with just a pistol.  Never saw a shottie either.

It's one of those Trans-Alantic things.
In europe they are happy to a police officer with an SMG, but Shotguns not acceptable for shooting people.
In the US it is a bit the other way. Generally Americans seem to accept Patrol Shotguns much more than Patrol SMG's
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I read an article a while back written by a texas cop that went to britain to become a cop. He later on quit because he was supposed to run away if the assailent had a gun. Basically the regular cops or whatever arent supposed to be armed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
My last trip to London (last year) was spent with one of the London Metro firearms instructors.  A large number of the metro police are armed, but they require additional training.  Most of the smaller city departments are unarmed.  You will see unarmed officers in London as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I've trained with some of the Officer Survival Instrcutors from London (I think thats where they were from).  Those guys are vicious when it comes to stopping a fight. Pretty good handgun skill aswell
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#13]
not to many stray dogs in london.... so the average cop doesnt need a gun....

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In europe they are happy to a police officer with an SMG, but Shotguns not acceptable for shooting people.
In the US it is a bit the other way. Generally Americans seem to accept Patrol Shotguns much more than Patrol SMG's

This was a subject of discussion a while back.

European cops look down on American cops for carrying "barbaric, nasty" shotguns. US cops look askance at European cops for carrying a bunch of SMG's around all the time. What gives? We only give SMG's to our SWAT teams, they hand them out like party favors when they feel like it. The rest of the time, they just issue their cops a jar of vaseline and have 'em wear their underwear backwards.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was a subject of discussion a while back.

European cops look down on American cops for carrying "barbaric, nasty" shotguns. US cops look askance at European cops for carrying a bunch of SMG's around all the time. What gives? We only give SMG's to our SWAT teams, they hand them out like party favors when they feel like it. The rest of the time, they just issue their cops a jar of vaseline and have 'em wear their underwear backwards.

We tend to give them short magazines and semi-auto only weapons though.

You see alot of armed police on foot patrol in the city of Westminster now, carrying MP5's and G36's, surprised the shit out of me first time I saw one out on his own. My first thought was "if only I had a car, I could have a G36... for a very short time!".

/PHil
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
quadruple layer uber tactical body armour

honest guv

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not to many stray dogs in london.... so the average cop doesnt need a gun....

Our JBT's shoot sheep.....

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4088497.stm

You sure thats all they do to sheep?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top