Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
My 13-year-old son (7th grade) informed me today that school officials administered a survey that contained some of the following questions:

(1) Have you ever had sex?  If so, did you use contraceptives?

(2) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high?

(3) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone?

(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?

(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself?

(6) Do you live in a one-parent household?

Etc.

These questions seem very intrusive to ask a 13-year-old in rural Idaho.  My son said to me "I didn't know kids sniffed Magic markers to get high."  And "The questions might give kids bad ideas."

I'm really pissed about this and am thinking of calling the superintendent and/or local newspaper.  The worst thing is the district never contacted parents ahead of time to ask if it was okay to ask the students such questions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Never took health ed classes? I knew this stuff by 5th grade
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like your son needs to learn a new phrase:

"I choose to exercise my right to not answer this question."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Believe me when I say that this is nothing new to a kid his age.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I would raise hell about this one for sure,what the hell buisness is it of theirs in the first place?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Maybe in an inner-city, but not here.  Forgot one of the questions:

Have you ever tried to kill yourself?  How many times?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
They pulled this kind of stuff years ago with my son here in Mi. Personal family questions, and all the rest. I told him that he should refuse, [they give a grade on them here to "force" the kids to do it.] ask to go to the principles office and call me so I can come in. They tried the next year but I had already given him a letter telling the school I refuse to allow him to give out personal family info and any questions will be directed to me. Schools are intrusive little social [experiment] institutions if you allow them free rein.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My 13-year-old son (7th grade) informed me today that school officials administered a survey that contained some of the following questions:

(1) Have you ever had sex?  If so, did you use contraceptives?

(2) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high?

(3) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone?

(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?

(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself?

(6) Do you live in a one-parent household?

Etc.

These questions seem very intrusive to ask a 13-year-old in rural Idaho.  My son said to me "I didn't know kids sniffed Magic markers to get high."  And "The questions might give kids bad ideas."

I'm really pissed about this and am thinking of calling the superintendent and/or local newspaper.  The worst thing is the district never contacted parents ahead of time to ask if it was okay to ask the students such questions.

You need to give him a few more sarcasm lessons...this is the correct way for him to answer...
the questions seem like this should have been anonymous, i'd be angry if they made a list of who answered what.

(1) Have you ever had sex?  If so, did you use contraceptives? No, but teach ***** has shown me her boobies and peepee after class one day.

(2) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high? No, I smoke pot to get high.

(3) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone? Yes, but they deserved it.

(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?Again, yes, but they were all bad people

(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself? Often

(6) Do you live in a one-parent household? No, both my moms and dads live in the same house

One must always assume that all the others taking the survey will asnwer correctly, and must take it upon himself to modify the results.

/End of lesson.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
i think that answering truthfully (making assumption your child has not done these things) would be the best as long as the questions stick to

Have you ever done (insert bad thing)?

Basically, these people are trying to find a reason to intrude further into your child's life and yours.  By asserting nothing is wrong you shut the door on them.

Now, if the questions stray into things like

Do you like guns?

Have you ever shot a gun?

Have you ever shot anyone while quail hunting in Texas without a game bird stamp?

Don't answer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a psych major we had a class on drug use...

Basically they said that studies found that D.A.R.E. caused more kids to do drugs than not, because:

it gave them great IDEAS! No, really most kids dont know you can get high off household items until someone tells them about it, and usually that person is your local D.A.R.E. officer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
7) All of the above.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sounds like your son needs to learn a new phrase:

"I choose to exercise my right to not answer this question."

5th amendment
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If it were high school, I wouldn't be surprised.  But it's junior high and it raises and at teh school.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
We had that kind of questionare 15 years ago when I was in school...  It was anonymous and was where they get the data they put out every year about how many kids smoke pot, have sex, etc. etc.  Since it was anonymous I always answered like a smartass
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
More questions:

Have you every used rock cocaine, angel dust, heroin, LSD, etc.?

Have you ever been physically abused by a parent?

Have you ever used a gun or knife to get something from someone?

Have you ever stolen from a store?  How many times?

Do you believe in having sex as a teen?

My son said the survey was the talk of the school.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Ignorance will protect our children from the bad things on this questionnaire.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i think that answering truthfully (making assumption your child has not done these things) would be the best as long as the questions stick to

Have you ever done (insert bad thing)?

Basically, these people are trying to find a reason to intrude further into your child's life and yours.  By asserting nothing is wrong you shut the door on them.

Now, if the questions stray into things like

Do you like guns?

Have you ever shot a gun?

Have you ever shot anyone while quail hunting in Texas without a game bird stamp?

Don't answer.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Was it an anonymous survey or was it part of a profile?  If it was anonymous the school officials might just be trying to understand the problems and issues of the kids in the school so they can be better prepared to help them.  If it was a named survey that will be part of your sons school profile then you are right in telling the school to mind their own business because next year they might start asking "are there guns in your house", "does your father yell"...ect.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If it were high school, I wouldn't be surprised.  But it's junior high and it raises and at teh school.  

I think they learned to gouge them for info while they're younger, so they answer truthfully. Also, in highschool they'd get more Dick Hurtz, Harry Pothead, and Hugh G. Rections, than correctly filled out survey's.

I used to write threats on surveys, and put some straight A students names and turn them in. Good times
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
welcome to 21st cen Am.

'social progress' at work
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Was it an anonymous survey or was it part of a profile?  If it was anonymous the school officials might just be trying to understand the problems and issues of the kids in the school so they can be better prepared to help them.  If it was a named survey that will be part of your sons school profile then you are right in telling the school to mind their own business because next year they might start asking "are there guns in your house", "does your father yell"...ect.

It was relatively anonymous.  It also asked age, race, sex (boy or girl).  The teachers told the students that taking the survey would help the community.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
More questions:

Sounds like someone is doing a "study" on teen behaviors.  If the survey was anonymous I bet half the school put yes that they use drugs and have sex just to be funny.  Then there will a crisis meeting about "risky teen behavior" that reports 50% of 7th graders using cocain and having sex.  Of course they will want to raise your taxes to fund futher studies and provide after school programs to help combat the problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was relatively anonymous.  It also asked age, race, sex (boy or girl).  The teachers told the students that taking the survey would help the community.

Thats what they do, I think it might be one of those laws for privacy in schools. Like in FL the teacher cant call out someones grade to the class because it might embarrass them. I graduated HS recently and they would give us crap like that every so often, and say it was optional to put a name.

Just tell him never to put his name on it, and if it was that big of a deal to him. Write the principle what your son thought of their survey. That even students thought it was inapropriate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#25]
42....or something.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More questions:

Sounds like someone is doing a "study" on teen behaviors.  If the survey was anonymous I bet half the school put yes that they use drugs and have sex just to be funny.  Then there will a crisis meeting about "risky teen behavior" that reports 50% of 7th graders using cocain and having sex.  Of course they will want to raise your taxes to fund futher studies and provide after school programs to help combat the problem.

Right on.  My son said his friends had a lot of fun answering the questions about sex and drugs.  The people who read the results are going to think we have the next Ron Jeremy living in my home town.

800th post
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No, but teach ***** has shown me her boobies and peepee after class one day.

Am I the only one that noticed that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I would raise hell just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I was a psych major we had a class on drug use...

Basically they said that studies found that D.A.R.E. caused more kids to do drugs than not, because:

it gave them great IDEAS! No, really most kids dont know you can get high off household items until someone tells them about it, and usually that person is your local D.A.R.E. officer.

My 13 year-old son was going through a D.A.R.E. class (I think that they call it G.R.E.A.T. now), and the teacher asked the class if they could name a negative heath effect of using illegal drugs.  My son raised his hand and said, "If my Dad ever found out I was using drugs, he would beat me without mercy."

I love that little smart-ass.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell I knew crap like that by 4th grade. I don't know why you have to get your panties in such a bunch because of a school survey.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Magic Markers?  What kind?   All I'm getting is a black nose.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I had to take several of those when I was in school.  

I usually checked the most absurd answers out of spite.

Even then, I was offended by many of the questions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in an inner-city, but not here.  

Oh, that's quaint.

Where do you think they make all the meth?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#34]
they should have sent home a notice to parents requiring your signature allowing his participation...  unreal. some of those topics are inappropriate...

my son had "the AIDS talk" today.  it took over half an hour.  know how he was told to prevent AIDS?  use a paper towel to turn bathroom faucets on and off and open the bathroom door, and be careful with kissing or hugging.

right.

makes me want to homeschool.

(when he told me they were going to have this "talk" - and brought home the form for me to sign, thanks very much - I told him I'd give him the talk in less than 30 seconds. I did. He was speechless at today's "lesson." (and not much leaves MY son speechless...)  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm, girls have peepees, too.  they just look different than boy peepees.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Another question from the survey:

Do you spend time alone with an adult friend that you've known for a few years?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm, girls have peepees, too.  they just look different than boy peepees.

Well you don't call it a peepee if it's on a broad.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
they should have sent home a notice to parents requiring your signature allowing his participation...  unreal. some of those topics are inappropriate...

my son had "the AIDS talk" today.  it took over half an hour.  know how he was told to prevent AIDS?  use a paper towel to turn bathroom faucets on and off and open the bathroom door, and be careful with kissing or hugging.

right.

makes me want to homeschool.

(when he told me they were going to have this "talk" - and brought home the form for me to sign, thanks very much - I told him I'd give him the talk in less than 30 seconds. I did. He was speechless at today's "lesson." (and not much leaves MY son speechless...)  

My point exactly!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#39]
The worst thing about schools now days is:
1. They are filled with liberal Teachers who fill kids with thier personal views instead of teaching the damn classes.
2. The same teachers constantly push their views as the only socially acceptable behavior and single out kids who come from moral homes where thay are raised with character.
3. Schools have continued too thrust themselvs into the personal lives of their students and the students familys.

I recently spoke to the Superintendant of my childrens school and informed him of my views and of my lawyers name and address.

You want a real shock read your kids text books you'll blow a gasket.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They pulled this kind of stuff years ago with my son here in Mi. Personal family questions, and all the rest. I told him that he should refuse, [they give a grade on them here to "force" the kids to do it.] ask to go to the principles office and call me so I can come in. They tried the next year but I had already given him a letter telling the school I refuse to allow him to give out personal family info and any questions will be directed to me. Schools are intrusive little social [experiment] institutions if you allow them free rein.

FUCKING A!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]

I too was alarmed at some of the questions.  

The questions such as drugs ( did you sniffing glue during the last week), specific violent acts, or about sex acts seem to encourage consideration of those activities.  

Such questions are suggestive to young people who are already "on their toes" looking around for clues of what is "normal".

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Was the questionaire anonymous?  If it wasn't I would have put 'not your concern' for all questions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
They asked my kid, a senior in high school, to take the same test. He said no, I don't think I want to take it.
The teacher took him outside and dressed him down for a few minutes. When he finally got an opening he told her, "Call my Dad. He will tell the same thing only it won't be as polite."

He got to sit in the back and draw while the other sudents took it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Aviod the problems with the libtard .gov schools!!!! Homeschool your kids,

Teach them to master subjects, character traits you (the parents) value, Teach them all about guns , hunting, etc.  Teach them how to act in different situiations, prepareing them to succed in the world when they become adults.

Don't need to worry about them knowing how to succed at peer dependance issue (what everyone calls peer pressure or socialization). They become thier own person sooner and become more independant thinking without the need to be accepted by thier peers. Most adults grow up continuing to be peer dependant ,"keeping up with Jones".

Don't need to put them through the whole dating scene. Which we have decided is just practicing for divorce anyway.

Home school is the best way to go, you and your children are closer they trust your judgment over other kids thier age. The actually want to spend time with you doing the things that interest you.

ETA: from my spelling you can see I went to public school
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
We had that kind of questionare 15 years ago when I was in school...  It was anonymous and was where they get the data they put out every year about how many kids smoke pot, have sex, etc. etc.  Since it was anonymous I always answered like a smartass

so did me and my friends.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's my evil little confession for the week:

My uncle is the one behind many of these studies.  He gets tons of YOUR tax dollars in return for the various questionaires that are given to kids in a lot of states in the union.

He has a very nice house to show for it.  He's a total prick.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
More questions:

Have you every used rock cocaine, angel dust, heroin, LSD, etc.? Use it?  Hell, I sell it!

Have you ever been physically abused by a parent?  Only in the ass with a curtain rod for selling an 8 ball for less than 500

Have you ever used a gun or knife to get something from someone?  Sex, yes.

Have you ever stolen from a store?  How many times?  Only porn shops.

Do you believe in having sex as a teen? No comment!  That's personal!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Do you like movies about gladiators?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
<~~homeschools her kids. Anyone wonder why?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top