Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:20 PM EDT
The framers just showed up today to start framing my house. Later today, after they left, my Wife and I went to check it out. Thrown along the side of the foundation was an empty 18 pack box of Bud Light. Is this a bit unprofessional, or am I just over reacting? I just makes me worry a bit. Should I be, or is this acceptable?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as they do the job right, let em toss back a few...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you see them drinking? Did you find empties? Or was it some garbage that blew in?

If they were drinking I'd bitch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
are they bonded?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
very common for the 70s and 80s not so common now
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The framers just showed up today to start framing my house. Later today, after they left, my Wife and I went to check it out. Thrown along the side of the foundation was an empty 18 pack box of Bud Light. Is this a bit unprofessional, or am I just over reacting? I just makes me worry a bit. Should I be, or is this acceptable?

Thanks

Any cans or bottles laying around or just the empty box ? I used to work in construction and we would save cardboard boxes and things to burn in a barrel to warm up a little during breaks if the weather was cold. Maybe someone just threw it down out of their truck bed to burn or throw out with the construction debris.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When I framed with my brother last summer we would usually have a couple beers at the end of the day.  

Although the houses we were building did not have owners yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep that is the norm, get used to it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Any cans or bottles laying around or just the empty box ? I used to work in construction and we would save cardboard boxes and things to burn in a barrel to warm up a little during breaks if the weather was cold. Maybe someone just threw it down out of their truck bed to burn or throw out with the construction debris.

I doubt that. I found the pull tab from the box sitting on the pile of OSB. I didn't see them drinking, so for all I know, one of the crew could have bought it for another guy there and he threw it in his vehicle. I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
too late to be raising hell now - that was supposed to be when you were selecting contractors....now you mind your Ps and Qs lest your house be made with a big turd somewhere in the wall...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I framed with my brother last summer we would usually have a couple beers at the end of the day.  

It's 30 degrees outside. I don't think a cold beer is that refreshing when you're frozen. Maybe a hot coffee?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
dude they are constructions workers, thats what they do!  Seriously though, my house just got built and when i would check on it periodically, I would find random schlitz, natty light, or miller lite cans laying around the site.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
pretty normal
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Par for the course.

Thank god you live in the US.

God Bless em.

Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
too late to be raising hell now - that was supposed to be when you were selecting contractors....now you mind your Ps and Qs lest your house be made with a big turd somewhere in the wall...

That's what I'm worried about. My general contractor is the one who recommended these guys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]
No problem if they have a few AFTER "Miller time", big problem if they are sucking them down on my job on my dime.

Call the guy you write the check to tonight and voice your concerns.  Tell him "one more beer on the job and no more money, the last check may even bounce."

I do this kind of work every day and would never consider drinking on the job.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#16]
my dad used to drop off a case of PBR at 4:30-5:00 for the construction crew
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No problem if they have a few AFTER "Miller time", big problem if they are sucking them down on my job on my dime.

Call the guy you write the check to tonight and voice your concerns.  Tell him "one more beer on the job and no more money, the last check may even bounce."

THat sounds like the perfect way to handle this problem.  The last house we had built  was finished long before the rest of the neighborhood, and there would be a few cans here and there, on a pretty regular basis.

James
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
As long as they do a good job and don't hurt themselves, I could give two shits less. I just don't want it to be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
my dad used to drop off a case of PBR at 4:30-5:00 for the construction crew

When 5pm hit it was usually time to head for the mountians, either Busch or Busch Light with those guys. On a few occasions we would sit around at the site for a few minutes and have a beer or two then head on home or to the bar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 30 degrees outside. I don't think a cold beer is that refreshing when you're frozen. Maybe a hot coffee?

Actually that works the opposite of how you would think it works.

Any Doc will tell you that if you're cold and drink something cold it will help to lower your body temp just enough to make you feel more comfortable.
It's true of the reverse too.
If you drink hot Tea in the summer it will help raise your body temp to meet the hot air.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonder if ya all would feel the same if the pipefitters had a "few" while putting in the gas piping? Or the electrical workers tossing a few back while wiring. Not professional and I personally would refuse to allow them back on the jobsite. I wouldn't want a bunch of drunks putting my house together.

Now, if it was a friend of mine and me doing something on MY house, a brew or two would be different. Course, I'm not paying myself or him either.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm worried about. My general contractor is the one who recommended these guys.

however, if you need some extras done, drop off a case or 2 (at quitting time) and discuss it,
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'd agree with this one. If they want to go to a bar after work, I don't care, but I don't want someone who has had "just 2 beers" putting together load bearing walls....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I personally would be pissed but....

if you call and complain and the boss ends up telling these guys to not drink anymore while they're working on your house you might end up finding more mistakes then if you let them drink if you know what I mean...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

however, if you need some extras done, drop off a case or 2 (at quitting time) and discuss it,

Not a bad idea. I can use this to my advantage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually that works the opposite of how you would think it works.

Any Doc will tell you that if you're cold and drink something cold it will help to lower your body temp just enough to make you feel more comfortable.
It's true of the reverse too.
If you drink hot Tea in the summer it will help raise your body temp to meet the hot air.

That is true, we had guys that would be guzzling down hot coffee in 90+ degree heat because they said it made them feel "cooler".

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I found a bunch of beer cans when digging up my garden to plant a tree. This was maybe 5 years after I had the house built. Way to late to do anything so I just laughed.

Just show up with a case of beer next time, and say they can have it for free as long as they drink it after the work is finished for the day. Become friends with them, and have them like you so they dont do something disgusting to your house.

Or just steal the tools they leave on-sight and replace with empty beer cans.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I found a bunch of beer cans when digging up my garden to plant a tree. This was maybe 5 years after I had the house built. Way to late to do anything so I just laughed.

Just show up with a case of beer next time, and say they can have it for free as long as they drink it after the work is finished for the day. Become friends with them, and have them like you so they dont do something disgusting to your house.

Or just steal the tools they leave on-sight and replace with empty beer cans.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Around here, I work in a construction support industry, this is a pretty common occurence on residential jobs, but not so much on commercial or industrial projects.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
ain't  found the roaches, yet ?

-- no wait, that's the roofing crew. nevermind.

I was thinking the same....just wait til they put the toilets in....your odds of finding a burned joint in 'em is higher than 50/50
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#33]
stay up all night drinking,

snort meth all day

repeat

that's the construction worker recipe for success

when i used to work heavy construction the guys would often not have slept the night before.

ex convicts, nut cases, drunks.

construction keeps a lot of dropouts in beer money.

RELAX

who do you think built the bridges you're driving on?  chiorboys?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That very thing happened to a friend of mine . He pissed off one of the subcontractors so
one of them took a dump in the attic and covered it with insulation .   If you confront them , be
tactful .
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#35]
If you had to frame houses all day long every day, you'd drink alot too.  If you really want the guys to put an extra effort into your house, show up on the job site with a 12 pack a couple of times.  A little thought goes a long way.

Most construction workers have been life long drinkers.  A 12 pack won't phase them.  So don't worry.  Drunk or not, your house will still end up fucked up some way some how.  Thats just the way building is now a days.  It a real shame.

I would never allow drinking on my job sites if i was the GC.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to supply beer to my subs just to get them to show-up. Yes it's normal.........
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I personally would be pissed but....

if you call and complain and the boss ends up telling these guys to not drink anymore while they're working on your house you might end up finding more mistakes then if you let them drink if you know what I mean...

mistakes, or a turd in the wall.  I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't give a rats ass what peoples "assumptions" are as to what the "norm" is for construction workers are. I "am a General Contractor. If I so much as catch one of my guys or a sub on the site drinking before, during or after a job his ass will be gone for good! PERIOD!
NO EXCUSES!
This is no bar. If codes came by and saw this while my crew or subs were on the job my ass would be hung out to dry. God forbid the home owner saw this.
My advice to you shop_rat45 is approach the foreman or GC on site and discuss your findings and concerns with him/her. This is your house that I assume you are paying for and not getting for free. If they were drinking on the site then the issue will be handled. If not, no harm done.
I cant believe people actually think this type of behavior is acceptable on a work site.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
stay up all night drinking,
snort meth all day
repeat

that's the construction worker recipe for success

when i used to work heavy construction the guys would often not have slept the night before.
ex convicts, nut cases, drunks.

construction keeps a lot of dropouts in beer money.
RELAX

who do you think built the bridges you're driving on?  chiorboys?

Not bad money either. There is such demand around places like Jacksonville that experienced framers easily make $20-$25 an hour. Not to bad IMO
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#40]
it's all fun and games until one of them saws their hand or fingers off on your property!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yep that is the norm, get used to it.

AGREE 100% BUILT MY HOUSE 1 1/2 YEAR AGO completly normal
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Be greatful they were just drinking.  I've been told by inlaws that pot and even crack are not uncommon on work sites, especially those with "day laborer" workers.  (which I believe is liberal-speak for criminal illegal immgrants)

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Trust me, let em work drunk!!!

http://i1.tinypic.com/nwhi7d.jpg

It will all work out in the end!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]
If you've ever taken A builders square to most ANY new construction these days you wouldn't wonder any more.

I haven't seen a plum wall in over 10 years.

"Oh, one nail is good? 25 MUST be better!"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Draw down on them Kris!

No seriously I don't think you're overreacting.  Alkie-hol, as we all know, affects your movements and judgments.  

If I were you I'd be concerned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember one day someone showed up with a case sometime before lunch. Well anyway around 2pm that afternoon we started finding all kinds of screw-ups
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was framing houses we worked damn hard during the week, and on hot Friday afternoons the boss would buy a case and offer everyone a couple of beers AFTER work for the week was done.  The cans were collected so that homeowners like yourself wouldn't find that sort of detritus laying around.

I had diet pepsi on those days, and this time of year I'd rather have a cup of hot soup to wrap my frozen fingers around.

IMO IF it's during the workday - between 8 and 5, including lunch, it's unprofessional, and if you don't want it happening, get on the horn with the builder.  I wouldn't want it happening on my house.

I see someone else covered it - but the crew would probably be happy to wait til the end of the day if you brought them a case and made it clear they had to wait until quitting time.  Or make some brownies and get a case of Mountain Dew out for thier lunch.

Edited to say that we never had drugs on the job other than the afore mentioned occasional alcohol.  The boss would have fired the person on the spot.  One guy was a tweaker though - he would be up ALL night and falling asleep/screwing up in the afternoon.  Another guy "tended to peddle a little marijuana" as he put it.  The rest of the guys were pretty much happy with an occasional beer or three.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Framers don't drink, they snort meth.
The illegals who clean up the construction site drink.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top