Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 3:24:06 PM EDT
kinda funny.  sorry if its a dupe.  this is one of those 9 out of 10 of her bloviations that are really good.

Calvin and Hobbes -- and Muhammad

By Ann Coulter

Feb 8, 2006

As my regular readers know, I've long been skeptical of the "Religion of Peace" moniker for Muslims -- for at least 3,000 reasons right off the top of my head. I think the evidence is going my way this week.

The culture editor of a newspaper in Denmark suspected writers and cartoonists were engaging in self-censorship when it came to the Religion of Peace. It was subtle things, like a Danish comedian's statement, paraphrased by The New York Times, "that he had no problem urinating on the Bible but that he would not dare do the same to the Quran."

So, after verifying that his life insurance premiums were paid up, the editor expressly requested cartoons of Muhammad from every cartoonist with a Danish cartoon syndicate. Out of 40 cartoonists, only 10 accepted the invitation, most of them submitting utterly neutral drawings with no political content whatsoever.

But three cartoons made political points.

One showed Muhammad turning away suicide bombers from the gates of heaven, saying "Stop, stop -- we ran out of virgins!" -- which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. Another was a cartoon of Muhammad with horns, which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. The third showed Muhammad with a turban in the shape of a bomb, which I believe was an expression of post-industrial ennui in a secular -- oops, no, wait: It was more of a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence.

In order to express their displeasure with the idea that Muslims are violent, thousands of Muslims around the world engaged in rioting, arson, mob savagery, flag-burning, murder and mayhem, among other peaceful acts of nonviolence.

Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back.

The little darlings brandish placards with typical Religion of Peace slogans, such as: "Behead Those Who Insult Islam," "Europe, you will pay, extermination is on the way" and "Butcher those who mock Islam." They warn Europe of their own impending 9/11 with signs that say: "Europe: Your 9/11 will come" -- which is ironic, because they almost had me convinced the Jews were behind the 9/11 attack.

The rioting Muslims claim they are upset because Islam prohibits any depictions of Muhammad -- though the text is ambiguous on beheadings, suicide bombings and flying planes into skyscrapers.

The belief that Islam forbids portrayals of Muhammad is recently acquired. Back when Muslims created things, rather than blowing them up, they made paintings, frescoes, miniatures and prints of Muhammad.

But apparently the Koran is like the Constitution: It's a "living document," capable of sprouting all-new provisions at will. Muslims ought to start claiming the Koran also prohibits indoor plumbing, to explain their lack of it.

Other interpretations of the Koran forbid images of humans or animals, which makes even a child's coloring book blasphemous. That's why the Taliban blew up those priceless Buddhist statues, bless their innocent, peace-loving little hearts.

Largely unnoticed in this spectacle is the blinding fact that one nation is missing from the long list of Muslim countries (by which I mean France and England) with hundreds of crazy Muslims experiencing bipolar rage over some cartoons: Iraq. Hey -- maybe this democracy thing does work! The barbaric behavior of Europe's Muslims suggests that the European welfare state may not be attracting your top-notch Muslims.

Making the rash assumption for purposes of discussion that Islam is a religion and not a car-burning cult, even a real religion can't go bossing around other people like this.

Catholics aren't short on rules, but they couldn't care less if non-Catholics use birth control. Conservative Jews have no interest in forbidding other people from mixing meat and dairy. Protestants don't make a peep about other people eating food off one another's plates. (Just stay away from our plates -- that's disgusting.)

But Muslims think they can issue decrees about what images can appear in newspaper cartoons. Who do they think they are, liberals?

Ann Coulter is the author of How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must), Treason, Slander, and High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Read more about How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Coulter, AnnRead more about Treason by Coulter, AnnRead more about Slander by Coulter, AnnRead more about High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton by Coulter, Ann

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Muslims ought to start claiming the Koran also prohibits indoor plumbing, to explain their lack of it.

That's pretty classic right there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]

But Muslims think they can issue decrees about what images can appear in newspaper cartoons. Who do they think they are, liberals?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm convinced Anne's in posession of God given wit.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
like my post says, even I'll admit 1 out of 10 times she's a bit 'out there' but I guess we all are.  This one's a winner.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it.  I think we are finally beginning to move in the "right" direction on this.  That is, the "correct" direction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Largely unnoticed in this spectacle is the blinding fact that one nation is missing from the long list of Muslim countries (by which I mean France and England) with hundreds of crazy Muslims experiencing bipolar rage over some cartoons: Iraq. Hey -- maybe this democracy thing does work! The barbaric behavior of Europe's Muslims suggests that the European welfare state may not be attracting your top-notch Muslims.

Would be nice if her "blinding fact" were actually a fact

There have been numerous protests in Iraq, including threats against Danes, calls by Iraqis to kill all Danes, rocks thrown at Danis troops, and gunfire at Danish troops who were assisting Iraqi children after a car crash.  Just this week, the city council of Basra (where the Danish troops are) demanded that Denmark get their troops out of Iraq unless they apologize for the cartoons.

While demonstrations in Iraq have not received the attention of those in Syria, the West Bank, Iran, etc - and no embassies have been burnt (perhaps because Denmark doesn't have any in Iraq, ya think?) it doesn't mean there haven't been protests by hundreds of rapid and violent muslims, happily burning Danish flags and threatening death.  

The woman is delusional if she thinks that some abstract notion of "democracy" is suddenly going to change the extremist Muslim (and the logic is completely at odds with the rest of her entire piece).

While I found the article to be incredibly funny, it once again demonstrates to me that Coulter is not really very smart.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If she doesn't watch out, she will end up like Salman Rushdie (sp).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]

OH DAMN THAT'S FUNNY
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to marry her.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I love Anne Coulter.

SG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
rocks thrown at Danis troops

Ha, they do like to toss rocks dont they...I love the clips when they show on the news of the Isralies driving tanks around and it gets pelted with rocks, those rock throwers act like they just slayed a tiger or something...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
She's a soundbite-grabbing attention whore.

Wow, a right-wing conservative who doesn't like Muslims! WHAT A SHOCK! Hey, Anne, way to go with the indoor plumbing and other broad generalizations about Muslims.

I doubt she's even MET a Muslim, and is much less qualified to speak about them. Like the rest of America, she only knows about the world what she sees on Fox News and CNN. If she weren't skinny and blonde, she'd never see a TENTH the airtime she does.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If she weren't skinny and blonde, she'd never see a TENTH the airtime she does.

One-tenth of the airtime she gets is still about 1,000 times what you could ever muster.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Gawd how I love that hit piece by her.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One-tenth of the airtime she gets is still about 1,000 times what you could ever muster.

Wow, I had forgotten what 4th grade was like...Thanks for reminding me. LOL
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rocks thrown at Danis troops

Ha, they do like to toss rocks dont they...I love the clips when they show on the news of the Isralies driving tanks around and it gets pelted with rocks, those rock throwers act like they just slayed a tiger or something...

It's a sign that they KNOW how civilized we are, and are taking advantage of it.  The palestiniants will throw rocks at the Israelis all day long, because they KNOW the Israelis will respond with tear gas and rubber bullets - it's like a fun game.  Notice how they rarely throw rocks at their own "security forces" if they are upset at something, because they know they woudl just be shot down like dogs.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hot Damn that was funny! To protest that they aren't violent they riot and burn buildings!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
She's a soundbite-grabbing attention whore.

Wow, a right-wing conservative who doesn't like Muslims! WHAT A SHOCK! Hey, Anne, way to go with the indoor plumbing and other broad generalizations about Muslims.

I doubt she's even MET a Muslim, and is much less qualified to speak about them. Like the rest of America, she only knows about the world what she sees on Fox News and CNN. If she weren't skinny and blonde, she'd never see a TENTH the airtime she does.

Ahh, another muoslem do gooder, blah blah blah.

She is right regardless.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I had forgotten what 4th grade was like...Thanks for reminding me. LOL

That was only a year ago, your memory must be the second shortest thing you have.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]

So true. LOL
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but this cute little article isnt enough to change my opinion that ANN COULTER = COMPLETE FUCKING WHACKJOB. Her whole "anyone who doesnt blindly support every move the president makes is a traitor and should be hanged" speil after 9/11 kinda set that opinion in stone for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't stand the woman.  Even in person, she has an elitist air about her.

Although this is a good piece, she, as usual, has to leave the door open to have the whole thing shot down.  There have been many protests, as mentioned above, in Iraq.  

Way to throw your point down the toilet, you anorexic foghorn.

Lots of good jabs in there... wish she didn't shoot herself in the foot... again.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Save a few wrong facts like the lack of Iraq and another time when she was wrong about troops in Vietnam, she is pretty damn good at just cutting the shit.

FUN FACT: EVERY TIME A POLITICIAN MAKES A PRESS RELEASE, THEY ARE TECHNICALLY "ATTENTION WHORING".

God damn, some people just refuse to look past two fucking seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top