Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 11:06:15 AM EDT
there are two decent bars in town.  one is new though and we're having trouble drawing a good crowd.

the new bar is about 3 miles out of town on the highway.  the other bar is in the middle of town but sits directly across from the friggin jail.  therefore, location isn't great for either.

size is about the same with the new bar being a little bigger.

old bar has 1 pooltable.  new bar has 3.  both have jukeboxes with the same genre of music, mostly all country.

old bar is 1.75 beer, new is 2.00

what what you do to get folks out there?  pool tournaments?  more games?  think people!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Live radio remotes, food, and bikini girls.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
the wet t-shirt contest.

amature strip night.

10 cent wings

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the wet t-shirt contest.

amature strip night.

10 cent wings

titties galore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
cash is king. Have drink specials, make shots $1 between 10-11PM and watch how many people you get. Make sure you promote all your specials a lot, people can't go where they don't know
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
its all about the bitches.

oh yeah, better beer specials
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Have a special for truckers.  

On second thought, that might not be a good idea.

Just get some women.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Big sign outside:

"ALL THE SIN YOU CAN AFFORD!"

gr
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Got room for live music?
If so, see about booking some local acts.  Shouldn't cost much and will almost certainly draw people out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Depends on where it is.  What kind of clientel is available in the area. College town vs business district vs country folk create a huge difference in how I would open/entice patrons.

What is the economic climate in the area?  Business doing good in general?  Slow?  

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

TITTIES!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Tittys go with beer! Tittys and beer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]
No cover for women

Women drink free on (whatever) day

Ensure they have good names

Theme nights

My thinking is, if you cater to the women, the men will follow.

I know nothing about bars, if I go to a bar once every few years that's a lot, but I just tried to apply some basic advertising principles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Monday: Tribute to Hookers & Blow Night
Tuesday: Titty Cam on the Big Screen Night
Wednesday: Wet T-Shirt Contest Night
Thursday: Bikini Night
Friday: Lingerie Night
Saturday: Horney House-Wife Night with Male Strippers
Sunday: Horney Guy Night with Female Strippers

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]
How many people in the town?
Colleges?
Age group you are looking to attract?
Who is your target customer?
How much money is the bar looking to spend for ad budget?
Live music?

You need to answer these questions to help narrow down your advertising.  The end goal is to boost patronage, but you don't want the wrong type of clientel.  You could have a "Double Deuce" ala Roadhouse pre Patrick Swayze or post Swayze.  

Ladies nights work very well in the bar biz (I have managed a few over the years).  If you want to charge a cover and let ladies drink wells free, that is a good start.  Guys will go where the ladies are.  The key is, you have to have something to keep the ladies there.  Good music (live) dancing etc.  

One Country bar I managed had Ladies night Wed, Fri & Sat.  Started at 9pm.  Prior to ladies night we offered line dancing lessons free.  Tues and thurs we had Karaoke and offered beer pitcher specials.  Didn't always attract the largest crowds, but it put cars in the parking lot.  Cars in the lot makes the place appear hoppin.  A hoppin bar is the place to be.  

IM me if I can be of any help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Secret to good promotion is getting someone else to pay for it.

Best place to start is with the suppliers (local level distributers). Many will throw freebie crap at you like T-shirts and bottleopeners (with their logo on it) and stuff like that. Then, send the t-shirts over to a printer and have the bar logo put on the back. Give them away. You're out only the cost of having YOUR name printed on them.

See if you can get them to sponser a pool tournie or something. Sometimes you can get them to pony up if you promote their products. Volunteer to have "beer tasting" and the like at the new place....

See where I am going?

If all else fails, hire pretty women in small outfits.
Hey, I'm female, but I know that will help just as much as the guys in here do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Attract a good crowd you said.  Go to bars that attract those crowds and ask the people there what they like about it.  Get familiar with the other local bartenders in the area.  The ones that attact a good crowd may want to perform a shift at one of your places, and will bring their regulars with them.  You can also invite the bartenders to come see your place, it's probably bad form to invite patrons while they are in another bar though.

If you want college kids, offer drink specials on a certain night, but expect them to get rowdy.  Also you want good bouncers that are good with people.  You want people to feel safe while they are there, yet give them incentive to behave.  You need from the get go that people know this is the type of place that doesn't tolerate bullshit.

And as everyone else has already suggested, get some hot female regulars or bartenders.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#18]
dollar drink for girls.  Mud Wrestling [with a prize] TNA.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Former co-worker bailed out of a telco job & bought a failing small town bar.  He cleaned it up, added a decent TV & sports.

"Grand Opening Weekend"  he promoted it by hosting a legitamate LINGERIE Fashion show.  

He's been rakin' in the bucks above and under the table since.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#20]
small town, country folks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
A bar that can't attract women will die quickly. Sausage will turn out no matter what, but if there are no chicks then the men will go elsewhere quickly.

No cover for ladies and drink specials for ladies is good start. Any chance of getting live bands or setting up a dance floor?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Two words:

Mechanical Bull!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]
For a truly good bar you do NOT promote on the radio.  You do NOT offer wet t-shirt contest.  you do NOT offer cheap drinks.  You higher promoters that are well connected with the young-professional crowd in the city that can bring in young, cool, fun, high net worth individuals.  You promote at high end clothing stores, salons, etc.  You have good DJs.  You have good bar staff.  Also do not charge for cover and no 18 and up shit either - 21 and up only.

In large cities a bar will be the it spot for about a year or less.  The good crowd will patronize the establishment several nights a week until they tire of it and then they will move on and the bar will still have customers but they will not be the it-crowd.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
ladies night...  women drink for free.  men will flock to the nearest establishment full of drunk bitches.

plenty of radio advertising will make it work
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
botd

Its not GD you know . . .
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two words:

Mechanical Bull!

and a sybian on ladies nite
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Cheap drinks and wings on Friday evening.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Girls
Live music
Cheap drinks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Build a good customer base:

To get them in the door at first: cheap drink specials, promotions etc

To keep them in: kick out the unruly, always ensure good ratio of females to males, good music, etc

To get them to come back: good, fast, organized service (waiting 15 minutes for a drink sucks)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#33]
The oldest rule in the bar industry is the men bring the money and the women bring the men.  You have to get more female customers inside to draw the paying customers.  

Start having ladies nights, no cover for females. Give passess to personal trianers, strip club doormen, everyone you can think of who will give those passess to hot chicks.  that will get the guys in your bar spending money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Just thinking of what keeps me going to a few bars over others...

Popcorn machine or some other quick and easy food service.  Gotta have some food.  Simple microwave stuff.

Does it have a theme to the bar yet?  Look for freebie advertising/promotions stuff re: that theme.

How 'bout friendly wait staff that REMEMBERS everyones names as well as what they drink?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Any kind or clubs or leagues in town?
What are the people into?
Have the bars hook up with local clubs/leagues for certain nights.
Have a seasonal (deer/turkey/bow hunters, etc.) drink specials for those with licenses.
Car show/drag strip/rodeo  ticket-stub drink specials

Typical ones:
Host sporting events on TV w/ drink specials.

And have flyers copied/posted for these evets.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Having food specials, for example, wing nights, will bring more people to the bar and there will be more demand for drinks.

Lowering the price of drinks will just increase the quantity demanded, so food is the better way to go.

Well, at least thats what they tell me in economics
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#37]
when i say small town, i mean small town.....................5000.  though its equally as close to another small town so we'll call it 9000 local population.

a bbq cookoff would be cool.......................
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is some advice from a former bar owner.

The radio was the single best advertising media we ever spent money on, followoed by paper, and then t.v.

Get good bartenders with a loyal following, or train new ones.  New ones don't know how to steal yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the wet t-shirt contest.

amature strip night.

10 cent wings

titties galore.

Tonight at The Pit Wild Bills...... Everybody Gets Laid!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sheep and Country music
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
LADIES.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two words:

Mechanical Bull!

and a sybian on ladies nite

Good ideas, both!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
For a truly good bar you do NOT promote on the radio.  You do NOT offer wet t-shirt contest.  you do NOT offer cheap drinks.  You higher promoters that are well connected with the young-professional crowd in the city that can bring in young, cool, fun, high net worth individuals.  You promote at high end clothing stores, salons, etc.  You have good DJs.  You have good bar staff.  Also do not charge for cover and no 18 and up shit either - 21 and up only.

In large cities a bar will be the it spot for about a year or less.  The good crowd will patronize the establishment several nights a week until they tire of it and then they will move on and the bar will still have customers but they will not be the it-crowd.  

That's not a bar, it's a Sex and the City Metrosexual Club!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Build a back deck.  Make it feel you are there on vacation, not drinking an overpriced beer in a empty bar.  Have waitresses wear skimpy clothes and play lots of Jimmy Buffet music.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Depending on TX law, offer the usual draws, ladies get in free, free food at happy hour, free pool night, once you get them in the door, your bar and wait staff need to make them come back!  Hire good freindly servers (hot ones help), knowledgeable bartenders (not just tap pullers), live entertainment, daily specials, etc.  Your local liqour and beer distributors should have plenty of budget available to help with advertising, and giveaways.

A local bar owner friend of mine wanted a bigger lunch crowd, so he bought a very nice stainless gas grill, and offered a giveaway.  Every day you have lunch there, you get a ticket for the drawing, his lunch sales have increased 70% since he's started doing this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Bikini girls. Or better yet, lingerie girls.

Port of Long Beach (in the PRK) used to have a lunch/greasy spoon type place called Pegasus, where the girls dressed in lingerie. Best tips in town! GREAT lunchtime draw!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Shaved Beaver night. All women with a shaved box get 2 free drinks.

And any who shave IN THE BAR get a free case!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#48]
How would I promote a bar?

Well I would call the bar into my office, then tell it that it has been doing a great job. Then I would give the bar a certificate of appreciation and inform it of its promotion. Then I would give the bar a 3% pay raise and tell the bar I expect it to double its efforts now that it has been promotod. Gotta live up to those higher expections and all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#49]
sounds like it's a location that prevents it from being all that successful.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Been so long I can't remember,,,,,Driving Home might cost more than what it was worth
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top