Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:14 AM EDT
I have 2 touch lamps on the large oak headboard of my bed. When I 1st moved back into my house after my ex wife left me I would find them turned on without my assistance at all hrs of the day. Except when I slept in that room.

This went on for about 1.5 months & then just stopped completly. It has been about 1.5 yrs now since it stopped, untill yesterday afternoon.

I was in the bedroom doing some cleaning & used the ceiling light, which I shut off when I left. I went back a few minutes later to get something & both lights were on & set to the #3 touch brightness. I shut them off & about 4 hrs later discovered them on again, both set to the #3 setting once more.

I got up at 5am this morning, & started getting ready for my sons school day. At 6am I went back to wake him up & both lights were on again, only this time it was difficult to get them to turn off by touching them.

I got my son up & in the space of about 20 minutes while he was eating breakfast, the lights turned on 5 more times, & became increasingly difficult to turn off by touch. My son couldn't get them to turn off but I was able to by placing my whole hand on the lights & waiting for them to shut off.

I even stood & watched in the doorway from an angle to see if I could see anything happen out of the "ordinary". The lights didn't go on again, but about 5 seconds after I sat down in the living room on the couch the turned on again.

Only on the last time before we left, only 1 light came on as we ran to see if we could spot anything happening that would give us a clue.

I had 1 other really weird thing happen with a remote controll toy happen late one night in that house & I posted about right away.

So what explainable phenom could be causing this?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:45:12 AM EDT
Static electricity
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:52:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tread1:
Static electricity

Why then would they become so difficult to turn off? & why would they both be set to the same setting almost every time?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:53:48 AM EDT
Buy new ones. They act strange after awhile. It has nothing to do with ghosts.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:06:13 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]

Good, they are only about 4 yrs old as we bought them when we moved to Texas. I don't believe in ghost, but I'm really at a loss because of my ignorance on the subject of these types of lamps, & electricity in general.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:42 AM EDT
We had some do the same thing and they weren't that old. Just cheaply made.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:11:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hughjafj:

Yup. I won't have them.....something inherantly " THIS will burn my house down " about them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:12:37 AM EDT
Post this question over on the DU and you will get at least 3 replies that its Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:57:26 AM EDT

Poltergeist

This is a spirit, usually mischievous and occasionally malevolent, which manifests its presence by making noises, moving objects, and assaulting people and animals. The term "poltergeist" comes from the German poltern, "to knock," and geist, "spirit." Some cases of poltergeists that remain unexplained and may involve actual spirits. In other cases the phenomena may be produced by subconscious psychokinesis (PK) on the part of an individual.

Included in the most common types of poltergeist activities are the rains of stones, dirt, and other small objects; moving or throwing of objects, including large pieces of furniture; loud noises and shrieks; and vile smells. It seems that poltergeists have adapted to the development of technology. They are known to have caused interference in telephones and electronic equipment, and turning lights and appliances on and off. Some poltergeists are said to pinch, bite, hit, and sexually attack the living.

Generally poltergeist activity starts and stops abruptly. The duration of it may extend over several hours to several months; however, some cases have been reported to last over several years. The activity almost always occurs at night when someone is presence. Typically this is the "agent," an individual who seems to serve as a focus or magnet for the activity. In most cases the agent is a factor, both those that seem paranormal or that may be caused by human PK. The agent is usually female and under the age of twenty.

Poltergeist disturbances have occurred globally since ancient times. In the late 1970s parapsychologists Alan Gauld and A. D. Cornell did a computer analysis of those cases collected since 1800 to that time. They identified sixty-three general characteristics, which include the following: 64 percent involved the movement of small objects; 58 percent were most active at night; 48 percent featured raps; 36 percent involved movement of large objects; 24 percent lasted longer than one year; 16 percent featured communication between the poltergeist and agent; 12 percent involved the opening and shutting of doors and windows.

Before the 19th century, poltergeist activity was blamed on the Devil, demons, witches, and ghosts of the dead. The Gauld-Cornell analysis found only 9 percent of the cases attributed to demons, 7 percent to witches, and 2 percent to spirits of the dead. Most of the demon and witches attributions occurred in non-Western countries. Poltergeist activity at séances was attributed to spirits of the dead.

The development and increase of psychical research during the late 19th and early 20th centuries helped confirm the conviction that poltergeist activity was genuine. Among the early investigators were two founders of the Society for Psychical Research, Sir William Barrett and Fredric W. H. Meyers. Meyers believed in the genuineness of poltergeist activity and that it was distinguishable from ghost hauntings.

In the 1930s the psychologist and parapsychologist Nandor Fodor advanced the theory that some poltergeist disturbances were caused not by spirits but by human agents suffering from intense repressed anger, hostility, and sexual tension. Fodor successfully demonstrated his theory in several cases, including the most famous "Thormton Heath Poltergeist" in England, which he investigated in 1938. The case involved a woman whose repressions caused a poltergeist outbreak and apparently a vampire attack. The Spiritualists severely criticized Fodor, but he won a libel suit against a Spiritualist newspaper.

William Roll, project director of the Psychical Research Foundation in Durham, North Carolina, further explored this psychological dysfunction theory. Starting in the 1960s, Roll studied 116 written reports of poltergeist cases spanning over four centuries in more one hundred countries. Roll identified patterns that he labeled "recurrent spontaneous psychokinesis" (RSPK), which are inexplicable, spontaneous physical effects. Generally, he discovered, the most common agent was a child or teenager whose unwitting PK was a way of expressing hostility without the fear of punishment. The individual was not aware of being the cause of such disturbances, but was, at the same time, secretly or openly please that they occurred.

Other investigators have also investigated agents finding that those in poor mental and physical health are vulnerable to stress. Patient having unresolved emotional tensions have been associated with houses where poltergeist activity occurred. When studying the personalities of agents psychologists found anxiety reactions, conversion hysteria, phobias, mania, obsessions, dissociative reactions, and schizophrenia. In some cases therapy eliminated the poltergeist activity.

However, the psychological dysfunction theory has been disputed by other researchers, including Gauld and Cornell who said the psychological tests employed were invalid. Psychiatrist Ian Stevenson proposed that spirits of the dead may account for more poltergeist activity than realized. In his study of a number of cases attributed to agents and to spirits of the dead, Stevenson noted significance differences. The phenomena in living agent cases was without purpose and often violent, while cases involving spirits of the dead featured intelligent communication, purposeful movement of objects, and little violence.

Poltergeist activities have been reported in many countries, and chronicled by occult writers such as A. R. G. Owen and Colin Wilson. The Epworth Poltergeist case is one of the best-documented cases of poltergeist activity. A.G.H.

www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/p/poltergeist.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:02:54 AM EDT
Do you have any HAM Radio operators in your neighborhood?

When I first got my general I had a grounding issue and would open and close garage doors and turn on neighbors touch lights.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:05 AM EDT
I've lived in a couple houses with ghosts.

If that's all that happening, just your "touch" lights going on and off, I'd say you've got bad wiring.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:11:39 AM EDT
+1

Used to happen with mine when I would flip a few of the other light switches on the same circuit. Something about the wiring and transients on the line would cause the lamps to think they'd been "touched" and would turn them on or switch their dimming levels (these were the ones that had off-low-med-high dimmer circuitry inside the lamp).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:28:50 AM EDT
Radio frequency interference can do this. That they both seem to 'track' the same level would say that they're getting a signal either over the air or through the house wiring.

Are you near any radio stations, amateur radio operators, or HV power wires?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:31:17 AM EDT

Some poltergeists are said to pinch, bite, hit, and sexually attack the living.

Some will pay for that.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:54:37 AM EDT
Electrical noise on the circuit the touch lamps are on, or radio frequency energy absorbed by the lamp or circuit, or even static electricity can activate a touch lamp. I've seen a touch lamp that was switched on and off repeatedly by an oscilating fan also.

If both lamps are switching similarly I'd sway toward noise or a transient surge on the power circuit. Possibly from an appliance switching on and off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:57:56 AM EDT
I say...unplug your 2 lamps.....if you find them on after that....MOVE.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:31:00 AM EDT
I've dealt with touch lamps before; never liked 'em.

Static electricity can turn 'em on. HAM radios can mess with them too, especially older equipment. A lot of them also have sub-par wiring. They also wear out faster than normal lamps and tend to be finicky as time goes on.

It's nothing I'd worry about. Either replace them with real lamps or just live with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:38:03 AM EDT
Ghosts - Spirits from "the other side"

Making a stop on Earth just to pester people and turn lights on and off!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:38:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arrgr:
I say...unplug your 2 lamps.....if you find them on after that....MOVE.

Set up a hidden camera first.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:55:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 3:55:49 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
No radio or ham antennas in my area, so I would go with the switching lights or other stuff off or on on the same circut.

One light did turn on all by it's lonesome yesterday morning as well.

I was gone from 7 am to 11 am running arrends & when I came home the lights were off. 10 minutes latter they were on again. Only happened once more after that about an hr later.

No problems since.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hughjafj:

True . We experienced the same sort of thing and I don't allow ghosts in my home .
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:41:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 5:43:18 AM EDT by scuba_ed]

Originally Posted By blacklisted:
Ghosts - Spirits from "the other side"

Making a stop on Earth just to pester people and turn lights on and off!

___

Yup! They smoke, drink and run with gangs who will force you to write bad checks! They're way bad!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:26:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth:
No radio or ham antennas in my area, so I would go with the switching lights or other stuff off or on on the same circut.

One light did turn on all by it's lonesome yesterday morning as well.

I was gone from 7 am to 11 am running arrends & when I came home the lights were off. 10 minutes latter they were on again. Only happened once more after that about an hr later.

No problems since.

It has not happened once since I posted this. I think the last time was the 15 th of Feb. Seams kind of odd to me why it happens for s few days & then stops doing it for months or longer.
Top Top