Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:44:08 AM EDT
OK, I am getting a NICE BBQ grill once I get my house sold (soon, I hope) and want to start looking into them.

I've decided to go with Gas (sorry, charcoal guys) and need some advice.

So far I am seeing some really good reviews of the Weber grills, specifically the Genesis Gold C:

www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_gc.aspx

I can get a Rotisserie for it as well, which I want.

My budget, including the rotisserie, will be about $800

Don't particularly need a smoker attachment as I plan on getting a real smoker eventually as well.

Would love some advice, links, reviews, etc.

BTW - I should mention that it is just me and the wife, though occasionally I might cook up for 2 more people (parents) when they visit.  This will be my first REAL grill, and I plan to learn and experiment a lot with it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, I am getting a NICE BBQ grill once I get my house sold (soon, I hope) and want to start looking into them.

I've decided to go with Gas (sorry, charcoal guys) and need some advice.

So far I am seeing some really good reviews of the Weber grills, specifically the Genesis Gold C:

www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_gc.aspx

I can get a Rotisserie for it as well, which I want.

My budget, including the rotisserie, will be about $800

Don't particularly need a smoker attachment as I plan on getting a real smoker eventually as well.

Would love some advice, links, reviews, etc.

BTW - I should mention that it is just me and the wife, though occasionally I might cook up for 2 more people (parents) when they visit.  This will be my first REAL grill, and I plan to learn and experiment a lot with it.

That's not a real grill, its a oven that happens to be sitting outside.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus Christ - let's not turn this into a damned pissing match about gas vs. charcoal.  Studies have shown that most people can't tell the difference in taste between them.  I can't, nor can my wife.  Gas will work better for us and our lifestyle.

Thanks for the wonderful advice there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Jesus Christ - let's not turn this into a damned pissing match about gas vs. charcoal.  Studies have shown that most people can't tell the difference in taste between them.  I can't, nor can my wife.  Gas will work better for us and our lifestyle.

Thanks for the wonderful advice there.

Glad I could contribute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife bought me a Weber Silver B for Father's Day about five years ago.  It's been perfect and I have only replaced the flavorizer bars once.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I got this grill from Home Depot a few years ago:

Made by Vermont Castings & costs around $400. It has three burners @ 36,000 btu. It works great & iis easy to clean/maintain.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Do a search...consumer reports (and the report is copied to other websites) rates the grills.  Webers are pretty good...easy to get parts, and many people love them.  My F-I-L has one for natural gas with a quick disconnect that he uses and is very happy with.

I got a stainless Costco grill (used) with a radiant rotisserie that works great.  

One set of Grills that ranks very highly is (a couple of models) of the Vermont Castings:

(Can't get the link to work).  

The nice thing about Weber vs. others is that you can get parts everywhere, and the service is excellent.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know much about Weber grills. I've used my father-in-laws natural gas version a few timesand it looks very solid.

If there's a Lowes nearby, I do know they often gives away 10% off coupons if you register on their website (moving section) and the coupon is often accepted by Home Depot as well. Should cover the taxes and cost of the utensils.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
$800 is a good budget for a grill.  Remember, heavier construction = more stable temps.  Also, while stainless steel is very pretty, it doesn't retain heat very well.  

My suggestion - Ask the folks here.  You won't find a better BBQ/grilling hivemind on the web.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
$800 is a good budget for a grill.  Remember, heavier construction = more stable temps.  Also, while stainless steel is very pretty, it doesn't retain heat very well.  

My suggestion - Ask the folks here.  You won't find a better BBQ/grilling hivemind on the web.

Thanks - that's one of the reasons I like the Cast Aluminum box of the higher end Weber - stainless steel outside for easy cleaning, but the cast aluminum will help to retain heat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Genesis Gold C grill two years ago.
It is by far the best grill I've ever owned, I don't think it will ever wear out.
I bought the natural gas version, used a quick disconnect gas line, and plumbed it into my home gas line - I never run out of gas!

Those grills are so versatile I find myself cooking on it virtually every day of the year.

There are a lot of very good gas grills on the market but I consider the Genesis Gold C one of the best purchases I've ever made....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#11]
$800 will buy a lot of bricks, as well as a gas burner. Have you considered building a BBQ that both grills AND smokes?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Get one of these.......

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
My advice is to go spend $100-$200 on a fairly inexpensive gas grill.  Use that for Burgers, steaks, etc.

Then go buy yourself a pretty decent REAL BBQ for stuff that takes longer than 20 minutes to grill.

Most of the time, I just fire up the 'ol propane Char-broil.  But when you want it done right... You've got to slow-cook with Charcoal.

Just MHO, of course.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Cast Iron burners are a must.  You will get more life out of them.   I recently purchased a Char Broil from Lowes for just over $230.   It's also set up for rotisserie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
bbq.about.com/cs/grills/bb/aabyb042503.htm

I've just been looking into getting a new grill myself, and I ran across this site this morning.  Quite a lot of info, and the guy seems to know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I highly recommend that you look at the Sear Kenmore Elite models. They have all the top quality features (cast iron burners, porcelain coated cast iron cooking surface, stainless steel construction, etc), but at less cost. Check 'em out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
HERETICS!!!  

You'll all burn in hell for your non charcoal grilling ways.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top