Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 4:13:39 PM EDT
Recently, Dvd shrink has taken 12+ hours( I think one took 18) to copy a DVD.  Up until a few weeks ago, it would be done in 3 to 4 hours.

Anyone have any ideas?  Fixes?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Recently, Dvd shrink has taken 12+ hours( I think one took 18) to copy a DVD.  Up until a few weeks ago, it would be done in 3 to 4 hours.

what the hell are you using...  even 3-4 hours is a long time!!

i havent used it in a while but i remember it MUCH quicker then that...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It takes me about 40 minutes to copy a dvd.  Something is fubar all the way around either way.  Sorry dont have a fix for ya.  What burning program are you using??  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Check to see if your IDE channels got changed from DMA to PIO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It takes me about 40 minutes to copy a dvd.  Something is fubar all the way around either way.  Sorry dont have a fix for ya.  What burning program are you using??  

Nero.   It burns fast.   I'm talking about the deep anaylsis and backup part of DVDshrink.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

Check the properties of the controller:

Device Manager->"IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers"->[your controller]

Depending on your OS, you should have a tab for each channel where you can see the transfer mode setting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
15-30 min for deep analysis, depending on disc. 5 min to burn. something dont sound right.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

Check the properties of the controller:

Device Manager->"IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers"->[your controller]

Depending on your OS, you should have a tab for each channel where you can see the transfer mode setting.

What?   I'm running windows XP.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok.  I found them.

I have a primary, secondary and a duel.   The all say Transfer mode: DMA if available,  Current transfer  mode PIO mode.

How do I change it?  Do I need to install different drivers?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok.  I found them.

I have a primary, secondary and a duel.   The all say Transfer mode: DMA if available,  Current transfer  mode PIO mode.

How do I change it?  Do I need to install different drivers?

I had this same problem before installing XP SP2.  Before I was running SP1 and this is a known issue with that service pack.

You should be able to switch to DMA if available and then reboot, IIRC.  When it comes back up, check again to see if that worked.

Install SP2 if you haven't already done so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Instead of letting DVD Shrink call up and use Nero, just save the new VIDEO_TS folder to disk, close DVD Shrink, and then open Nero and manually burn the DVD.  Unless your PC is a total outdated slug, the whole process should take less than 2 hours.

You might also want to try using DVD Decrypter to rip the files to the HD first.  There are a few copy protection schemes using bad sectors that gives DVD Shrink fits but DVD Decrypter handles with no problems.  Plus, reading files off the HD is a whole lot faster then off the DVD drive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of computer do you have?

Processor speed, etc.

Check to see what applications are running, and taking up system memory.
I believe the deep analysis can be run in foreground, or background.
Foreground takes system priority, and works faster.

The deep analysis is a memory hog, and processor speed is the limiting factor.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
mine works fine,unless it has the new encryption, 30 mins or less.
but there is other programs that can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Which is that?  I can't seem to find any that work with Sony protection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

anydvd

i also heard that sony is tough to break.so not postive if i have a sony dvd with the new encryption.

if you run into a problem backing up a dvd google the movie name copy "Bewitched copy".and you will usually find out how to back it up.when the normal programs don't work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have yet to find anything that DVD Decrypter can't crack.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I can't say for sure what is causing the difference. Do you know if you or anybody changed any settings.I looked at mine but didn't see a default setting. There are alot of things that can have a sudden effect on decryption times like, what you have running in the background,if you are multi- tasking, it could be a recent virus or adware problem. But regardless even at 3-4 hours is a very long time.  Copying a movie takes alot of processing speed and ram. First you don't need to do a deep analysis unless your compression is down in the low 60's and only then if the movie has alot of action in it. As an example I copied Cinderella man with the compression in the low 60's on a single layer, and then I copied it on a dual layer with no compression and saw little to no difference in picture quality. It takes me  less than 20 minutes to back-up and copy a movie. I think it's time for you to get a faster processor and at least 1 gig of ram. Personally I like Roxio to copy my movies. After DVD shrink has done it's thing do close out of it and open Roxio or Nero and import movie from hard drive. I hope this has been a little helpful.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What kind of computer do you have?

Processor speed, etc.

Check to see what applications are running, and taking up system memory.
I believe the deep analysis can be run in foreground, or background.
Foreground takes system priority, and works faster.

The deep analysis is a memory hog, and processor speed is the limiting factor.

I know it's not a fast puter.  But it was faster before.  OH, and It was FREE!

Compaq presario

AMD athlon XP 1800+
1.53 GHz, 512 MB RAM

I try to turn off all applications I can.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Instead of letting DVD Shrink call up and use Nero, just save the new VIDEO_TS folder to disk, close DVD Shrink, and then open Nero and manually burn the DVD.  Unless your PC is a total outdated slug, the whole process should take less than 2 hours.

You might also want to try using DVD Decrypter to rip the files to the HD first.  There are a few copy protection schemes using bad sectors that gives DVD Shrink fits but DVD Decrypter handles with no problems.  Plus, reading files off the HD is a whole lot faster then off the DVD drive.

Nero burns in like 5 minutes.  It's dvd shrink that is now SLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#21]
To change back from PIO to DMA,

Easiest way is with a firmware update if one is available.

You could also try removing the drive from the device manage and PHYSICALLY removing it from the computer. Restart the system without the drive attached and check the IDE channel again.

If it shows up as PIO, try to change it at this point. If it is already back to DMA, shutdown and reinstall the drive.

Start back up and let windows redetect it. Check the settings again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
CD/DVD drive should be "DMA if available", NOT PIO.

Also, CTRL-ALT-DEL  take a look at task manager and sort by CPU time on processor tab. Is something sucking up all your processing time when shrink is running (besides the shrink process itself)? Shrink is very CPU intensive.

Also, look at performance tab of task mangler. as long as your total PHYSICAL Memory is greater than the "PF usage" window, you shouldn't have a RAM bottleneck.

Is in ONLY analysis that's slow or also encoding?

Did you install some other video viewing software that also installed a CODEC on it's own (like quicktime, update windows media player, DIVX or another video viewing software. If you did, it probably overwrote shrinks codec and now shrink is using an encoder not optimized for it. Solution, uninstall dvdshrink, reboot, reinstall DVDshrink again and reboot.

Finally, look up your symptoms at www.afterdawn.com - they have a lot of answers over there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
CD/DVD drive should be "DMA if available", NOT PIO.

Also, CTRL-ALT-DEL  take a look at task manager and sort by CPU time on processor tab. Is something sucking up all your processing time when shrink is running (besides the shrink process itself)? Shrink is very CPU intensive.

Also, look at performance tab of task mangler. as long as your total PHYSICAL Memory is greater than the "PF usage" window, you shouldn't have a RAM bottleneck.

Is in ONLY analysis that's slow or also encoding?

Did you install some other video viewing software that also installed a CODEC on it's own (like quicktime, update windows media player, DIVX or another video viewing software. If you did, it probably overwrote shrinks codec and now shrink is using an encoder not optimized for it. Solution, uninstall dvdshrink, reboot, reinstall DVDshrink again and reboot.

Finally, look up your symptoms at www.afterdawn.com - they have a lot of answers over there.

Both analysis and encoding seem slow.

I will check the others stuff.

CPU usage chart under the performance tab?  I figure that's what you mean.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Hit the control-alt-delete keys together at the same time. That'll bring up windows task manager on screen. Use the tabs at the top (applications, processes, performance, users, etc) to navigate and track down where all your resources are.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]

I updated the firmware.  Deleted and reinstaled shrink.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, 16 hours to copy a DVD?  You have more patience than I.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#27]
That's why I want to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DMA.jpg

What type of IDE Controller (device and driver) is it? I had the same problems with the original version of my nVidia motherboard driver. I had to use Microsofts default IDE controller driver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What type of IDE Controller (device and driver) is it? I had the same problems with the original version of my nVidia motherboard driver. I had to use Microsofts default IDE controller driver.

I'll let you know tonight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I have always used DVDecrypter to rip disks with no problems except for the occasional scratched disk that won't read correctly without errors.

I used to use DVDShrink to compress the files and Nero to burn until I started to have a lot of bad copies. I had to re-burn a lot of movies. I then discovered that the "Recode" program in Nero is the same program as DVDShrink. The guy that wrote DVDShrink got hired by Nero after they bought the code for it.

I used to use deep analysis until I realized that it was eliminating commentary tracks and menus. Some disks wouldn't fit on a DVD even after ReCode analyzed them and I still had the occasional bad copy but it was my hardware at fault. I had a Sony first generation 2.4X DVD+RW burner, I upgraded to a Pioneer last November and haven't had any problems since. My oldest DVD player won't play some of the disks, but the rest of the DVD players read them fine, including my PS2 that's slightly younger than the older DVD player. I use Verbatim DVD+RW disks because my research shows that they are the most likely to work in most DVD players and my burner likes them.

dvdhelp.com has tons of FAQ's and guides with links to software.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compaq dvd-rom sd-1612,  driver microsoft, version 5.1.2535.0

Sony dvd rw dru-540a, driver microsoft, version 5.1.2535.0

Primary ide channel driver microsoft, version 5.1.2600.0

Secondary IDE channel driver microsoft, version 5.1.2600.0
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Well, judging from the screenshots you had on the previous page, it does look as if you've defaulted to the slower PIO mode.

Have you gone into your computer's BIOS screen (just before startup, you usually have to hit F1 or the delete key right before windows starts to load) and check that your IDE hasn't been set to PIO only in the BIOS?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, judging from the screenshots you had on the previous page, it does look as if you've defaulted to the slower PIO mode.

Have you gone into your computer's BIOS screen (just before startup, you usually have to hit F1 or the delete key right before windows starts to load) and check that your IDE hasn't been set to PIO only in the BIOS?

NO.  I have no idea what to look for.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Not to hijack... well... actually, yeah, I'm hijacking this thread, damnit!

I usually use AnyDVD and CloneDVD... but was wondering, is there a quick/easy way to rip a DVD and reencode to an AVI of a smaller size?   I'd like to be able to rip a DVD movie and make it smaller into an AVI and then dump it onto my Ipod so I can watch the movie on my laptop here at work.  Yeah, my laptop has a DVD drive... but I'd like to see if I can do it anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Try this.

And more info here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Try this.

And more info here.

WOOOHOOOO! Thank you!  Thanks to everyone who helped!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top