Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 11:50:37 AM EDT
Which way should I go?

Sometimes I see guys want way too much for stuff at a show, but then again with cash in hand changes alot of things..

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You also get to touch it in living color at the gunshow. No paperwork either, if you are allowed.

Cash is King.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Both have their uses. I prefer a gun show, because I can examine the gun hands on, break it down, inspect it, play with it before I buy. Online is fine, if you know what you're getting, from a reputable dealer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't fondle things over the internet.  So if you know what you want and are getting it new, the internet can be a good deal.  You also need to factor in the fees your FFL is going to charge in the overall cost.

You can't always count on someone elses description for used items.  What I may think is good condition, you may think is only fair condition.  Pictures do not always portray items accurately.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Lotta times the 'net for the best price.
Love to hit the shows though- b.s. with Navy Seals and Rangers; buy 'em a Beef Jerky as a tnx for all they've done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun show if you want to haggle over something that might not sell.

Internet if you are looking for something that you won't find at a gun show.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no substitute for the gun show. Walk up to some guy, hand him the cash and walk away with the gun. No NICS, no 4473's, no hassle...just freedom. This is the way that Americans were meant to buy and sell guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest passing on the gunshow.

Price of admission usually isn't worthwhile.
Stuff inside is overpriced, if you can find anything you want.
Selection is slim.
Cash in hand makes little difference.

If you find the item you want, theres only one in the whole show, it's beat up, it is about $300 overpriced, even if it were new in box, which it ain't, it would still be $300 overpriced... and you attempt to barter a little, and the dickhead running the table begins his loud announcement of "Are you kidding? Thats less than what i PAID for it, but sure.. so long as you pay my table rent, pay for my gas, an hourly rate for sitting here, etc... yeah matter of fact I think you're getting a hell of a deal. I'm not budging on that price!"
Then once he has everyone in the show looking at us...
He gets to keep it.
Yes, it's happened.

Gunshows around me just suck. It's hardly even an enjoyable waste of time, rather it's mostly depressing since I went to gunshows in the early 80s as a kid, and I remember what it used to be like.

I've purchased new guns online for less than used guns cost at shows, and I've never had a problem. If I was buying something used online, then I'd be ready to deal with the possibility that it's not quite perfect (cosmetic or mechanical) since the potential exists. You have to factor such things into the price, and then go based on the seller's reputation.

Therefore, I have no business at my local gunshows.
Your area shows may be different. At least, I hope they are.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top