Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2006 9:33:51 AM EDT
Loads of Chinese restuarants/buffets all across the country.  The ones around here have 1-2 people who manage the place and stay the same year after year.  All of the servers/cooks rotate in and out frequently. They learn the language, make a couple bucks and move on.  They would make excellent places to bring illegal aliens into the country or to spy from.

Illegal aliens: 1.  mobility from restuarant to restuarant until they find a place to settle, 2.  low key place to make a couple bucks, learn the language and customs, and figure what to do, 3.  skills learned applicable to any restuarant setting.

Spying: 1.  mobility all across the country, 2.  place that isn't checked much, 3.  base to get into American society from, learn the language, etc. 4. No one suspects them.

Check out your local Chinese buffets and see how many transitional workers they have.  What happens to all of them?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Spying Chinese fast food workers?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how good the Shrimp fried rice is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know about the spying part.

But I love Chinese food.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
If they are willing to come to this country on their own buck, learn OUR language, learn a LEGAL trade, stay here LEGALLY under the OUR rule of law, I have no problem against them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
DON'T YOU DARE TALK BAD ABOUT THE CHINESE BUFFET!!!

How can anyone with all you can eat chinese food, mongolian barbaque, sushi bar and desert bar have anything nefarious up their sleeve.

It just ain't right what you said...it just ain't right.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Most workers at the local Chinese buffet are Mexicans... I think even the owner/manager is an Mexican.  I've only seen two Asians and they were both waiters.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
We will make exemptions for Chinese buffets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
They are just spying to see if there are enough cats to support the food supply for a full scale invasion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be more inclined to classify them as clandestine chemical and biological warfare stations.

SG
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, take notice that there are not too many stray animals near a Chinese restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
their big brother is gonna come for you now
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The tinfoil hat only works if it is tight enough.  Tighten it up!!

Lets discuss foreign nationals working at Sandia or LLNL.  Hell, you will be wetting the bed tonight!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd be more inclined to classify them as clandestine chemical and biological warfare stations.

SG

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Check out your local Chinese buffets and see how many transitional workers they have.  What happens to all of them?

4-1-1: they usually didn't do well in school and didn't attend a university. They moved to the States because they have a relative or friend as a contact. They get paid under the table by restaurant owners who are legal immigrants or naturalized citizens or US-born citizens. The Chinese government would not use them as spies seeing as they are not elite enough, i.e. stupid, to make it into university.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
If a true American claims to only buy American made products, does eating at a
Chinese buffet count?

After all, the buffet is an american business paying taxes.

Or, is it still wrong because the food itself was probably shipped from the far
east at some point?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, they come here, work a low paying job (some even going to school) until their language skills,and education are good enough to get a decent job.  Look at the turnover at Denny's for all the jobs, the Mexican cooks and the waitstaff that around here are either old fat women, or young cute ones.  The former seem to stay longer though, the younger ones get the experience and go on to better restaurants.  Probably very similar to what the dudes at the Chinese buffets do.
Maybe this is a potential issue near DC.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to Shitty Wok!

No, not the shitty chicken!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most workers at the local Chinese buffet are Mexicans... I think even the owner/manager is an Mexican.  I've only seen two Asians and they were both waiters.

+1

Same here in GA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#20]
A new buffet opened up a couple months ago in my town and got busted by the feds a couple weeks ago for credit card fraud. Seems they were taking numbers off of credit cards and sending them to where ever. It was connected to another chinese buffet in California and Nevada as well.

BTW, ICE/INS was also in on the raid... Bet ya $10 they were checking green cards!

Police took reports Thursday and Friday from 27 people complaining that their credit cards had been used fraudulently for a loss of more than $42,000.  
The Casa Grande Dispatch published a story and photograph Wednesday about a search warrant being served Jan. 31 at China Buffet, 1677 E. Florence Blvd.

City police and Arizona Department of Public Safety officers, along with Border Patrol agents and a bank fraud investigator, were searching for evidence of a credit card fraud operation.

Many of the people reporting the frauds said they had read about it in the Dispatch.

At the time the search warrant was served, police already had dozens of complaints from other citizens about credit card fraud.

www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16083991&BRD=1817&PAG=461&dept_id=544934&rfi=8

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll defend the local buffets to the very end!

And the local Mongolian Grill. God that place rocks. Yuengling and a huge plate of....stuff. mmmm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#22]
ARFCOM collective IQ just dropped 5 points thanks to this post.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Loads of Chinese restuarants/buffets all across the country.  The ones around here have 1-2 people who manage the place and stay the same year after year.  All of the servers/cooks rotate in and out frequently. They learn the language, make a couple bucks and move on.  They would make excellent places to bring illegal aliens into the country or to spy from.

Illegal aliens: 1.  mobility from restuarant to restuarant until they find a place to settle, 2.  low key place to make a couple bucks, learn the language and customs, and figure what to do, 3.  skills learned applicable to any restuarant setting.

Spying: 1.  mobility all across the country, 2.  place that isn't checked much, 3.  base to get into American society from, learn the language, etc. 4. No one suspects them.

Of all the chinese buffets I've seen......look in the kitchens.

I'd say 90% are illegal/resident aliens.......and MEXICAN!

Aside from giving jobs to illegals......and being mexican at that....I don't see how mexicans can spy on the US.

Servers are almost always chinese, who either paid the owner of the restaurant for an H1B visa, or to sponsor them.......and is working off payment, by working at the restaurant.

that i know, as i knew of 2 places in SoCal, that did that........not sure if they still do.

i see it more as an indentured servant/slave.........as how many chinese have $20k USD to boot, and be able to come here to the US?  most of them are even worse off, than anyone from latin america.......having been to china several times.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#24]
3 Second Hijack. Anyone ever notice that 20 minutes after leaving a Chinese restaurant you get hungry again?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#25]
A Chinese restaurant in Fairfax Station, VA., was busted a couple of years ago for using road-kill deer meat.

That's sorta criminal...put me off of Chinese food for two months.  I don't believe they were spies, though....

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
3 Second Hijack. Anyone ever notice that 20 minutes after leaving a Chinese restaurant you get hungry again?

Same thing with a Chinese hooker.. An hour later, you want it again  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#27]
The local buffet in my town got caught with 27 pidgens and a goat hog tied out back. They said they were just pets..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#28]
The one me and the wife go to in Indiana is a strange bird.  The Chineese part is just a front.  They have a few chineese waitresses and hosts, but the entire cooking staff is mexican.

Had an interesting time the last time I ate there, listening to the waitress talk in broken engrish, chineese and much better than her english spanish.

So I would guess that the original posters thesis is valid, its just not illegal chineese that they are employing, its mexicans.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
A few clarifications: I would say 99% of the food in a Chinese resturant is grown here in the US (in season) The US grows a huge amount of rice,in case you didn't know. We buy it in 40lb bags,and it is all US-grown rice,even if the company names on the bag are Japanese or Korean.

- If someplace had some pigeons and a goat tied out back, you can be assured that those things were definitely NOT for you roundeye customers. My wife (Korean) worked for years in a Chinese resturant,and every now and then the cooks would get something special like those pigeons (doves,actually) to cook up a special feast for themselves and the waitresses, and the owners. What they eat in the kitchen is vastly different than what you eat out front- They eat real Chinese food, and you eat sugar-drenched glop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Dude... you are thinking way to hard on this one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Good luck getting a refill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Adjust your tinfoil hat, it's a bit tight from your post.

Can we say the same for the local mex restuarants?  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
3 Second Hijack. Anyone ever notice that 20 minutes after leaving a Chinese restaurant you get hungry againpuke, shit all over yourself?

There, fixed it for you.

At least that is the truth about the Chinese buffets around here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm doing a huge emodel for a guy that owns a very large Chinese Buffet resturant. He told me that 90% of the food is pre fab. All they do is defrost it and warm it up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#35]
This is probably the weirdest thread I've seen in a while.

At least since last Thursday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Most Chinese restaurants here have plenty of Mexican workers.

However thats not too unusual since we are about 60% of the population.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So I would guess that the original posters thesis is valid, its just not illegal chineese that they are employing, its mexicans.

Here it is all Chinese people at the Chinese restuarants, while the mexican people work at the pizza places.

Seems like an easy way, off the radar, to bring illegal people into the country. It gives a chance to acclimate them to this culture also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#39]
PLA sleeper cells
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I regularly eat at a non-buffet restaurant that is run by a Chinese family, and have also noticed that most of the staff (almost all asian) seems to turn over quickly. However, considering that the prospects for gathering intelligence in that setting are almost nil, it probably isn't a spy ring. More likely, it's just a first stop in getting a foothold in a new country for all their former PRC/Taiwan friends and relatives.

IMO, these are the good guys - the ones that will have english-speaking kids that make the honor roll in school, pay their taxes, and generally contribute much to society.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

SG

+1

The local fire dept. had to go into the kitchen of our local Chinese restraunt a while ago for some reason. AFAIK, they all refuse to ever eat there again (and warn the rest of us not to, either).

The other Chinese restraunt in our town almost got shut down after dead cat carcasses were discovered in the dumpster...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I knew an ethnic Vietnamese family who owned a Chinese restaraunt.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Spying Chinese fast food workers?

Yep, they are prolly in cahoots with all the Al-Qaeda run 7-11s.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Also, take notice that there are not too many stray animals near a Chinese restaurant.

KUNG PAO MEOW!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SG

+1

The local fire dept. had to go into the kitchen of our local Chinese restraunt a while ago for some reason. AFAIK, they all refuse to ever eat there again (and warn the rest of us not to, either).

The other Chinese restraunt in our town almost got shut down after dead cat carcasses were discovered in the dumpster...

I'd bet the cat carcasses (if actually there in the garbage) were planted by punks pranking or a competitor business to use the "urban legend stereotype" hype against the restaurant.

C'mon, think about it..if they were serving cat...there would be NO carcasses in the garbage cause the customers would have eaten them!  DUH!

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#47]
A lot of the "Chinese" places are started by immigrants with limited skills looking for a tax deduction and the ability to employ family members.  Often they will sell the going concern to other recent low-skill immigrants.  Sometimes the immigrants aren't low skill per se -- they just aren't moving directly into a job.  For instance, the dad was a manager and the mom was an accountant, but they speak lousy English and need to get up to speed.  A restaurant is a great way to write off:

A vehicle (legally)
Savings for yourself (legally) and family (borderline, if you use other names for them so that they don't look like your kids, illegal)
Clothing (borderline)
Food for your family (usually this blows right past borderline)
School supplies (illegal)

And so forth.

Now, some Chinese places are serious money laundering places, funnel hookers to massage parlors, engage is white (yellow?) slavery, and so on, but that is not at all surprising in any "ethnic" enterprise because we have no controls at all on who we let in or what they do once here!  In western Canada, it used to be Greek restaurants and a Greek "mafia" of sorts.  In some parts of Texas, it's a "Mexican mafia".  You may just have more Chinese places where you are.

And as to the comments about seeing mainly Mexicans in Chinese places working, I actually have seen a lot of Chinese-owned and operated Mexican places in Houston, employing a Mexican chick at the door and a lot of really annoyed relatives and kids slaving away in the kitchen doing everything they can to get into college so that they never have to work for family again!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
A few clarifications: I would say 99% of the food in a Chinese resturant is grown here in the US (in season) The US grows a huge amount of rice,in case you didn't know. We buy it in 40lb bags,and it is all US-grown rice,even if the company names on the bag are Japanese or Korean.

- If someplace had some pigeons and a goat tied out back, you can be assured that those things were definitely NOT for you roundeye customers. My wife (Korean) worked for years in a Chinese resturant,and every now and then the cooks would get something special like those pigeons (doves,actually) to cook up a special feast for themselves and the waitresses, and the owners. What they eat in the kitchen is vastly different than what you eat out front- They eat real Chinese food, and you eat sugar-drenched glop.

In Austin, many years ago, a Chinese place near UT (no, not The Magic Wok) was busted for skinned cats hanging in their meat cooler.  They protested at some length that "those weren't for the white people" but they were shut down for a while anyway.  Having spoken to a relative of the owners, they were apparently telling the truth.  Some of the staff wanted that old "roof rabbit" flavor and had trapped and fattened up some alley cats.  The owners were cool with it as long as it never got the customers.  And then they got inspected.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#49]
There's a little Chinese take-out place near me (Tampa) that I frequent regularly.  I believe it is family-owned as I see the same people there all the time.  The kitchen is open and you can see what's going on back there and I always see the same cooks.

Now I'm hungry... thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#50]
They should be illegal!  While my fiance adn I were in Biloxi doing relief work after Katrina, my buddy and I decided to take a paying job to help cover the cost of volunteering for two months.  We took a job cleaning up a chinese buffet.

Granted this place had not been touched for over two months and took in over five feet of water.  I will never eat chinese buffet again.  The ceilings had a 1/2 inch thick film of grease covering it. Our last feat was to take out the two different hood vents.  Just finding the screws took sticking a fingering into inch thick grease and searching for each screw.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top