Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:49:04 AM EDT
I have been raising thee boys that were my wife's through
a previous marriage.

I knew it from jump, so, it's never been an issue.

We never had that "You aren't my father!" fight, either, becasue
when I came in, I stated, and, showed that disobiedience wouldn't
be tolerated...(Well, I let a few things slides..comments, and, the like..But if you try that with mamma, the hammer is going to drop quick and, hard.)

The youngest was 4 then, now he's 13.  The oldest just turned 16.

The oldest has held onto the idea of his father for the longest and, has really
been hurt becasue thier sperm doner is a real tool.  He'll call up the boys, and, tell them
he'll be by to get them for the weekend, then, doesn't come....We've had to take him to court three
times for child support non-payment (I offered to adopt legally, and let him out of it, but, he refused)  He told the boys he was going to kick my ass, blah blah...(While I was in Kuwait..Song changed when I got back.)

Oh..Mrs Goon only asked for 450.00/month for three boys, two of them learning disabled.
He was going to fight the divorce, but, his lawyer told him he better sign before Mrs Goon got pissed off...He did.

Anyways...The boys have been calling me by my first name.  I felt this would be less confusing, and, titles don't bestow authority or responsibility.  Never really been a big deal with me.  This morning Mrs Goon calls up, and says that the boys have somthing they want to tell me.  I figgure it's happy Valentines or some such.  It was about 0645 CST before tehy went to school.

Acting as a spokesman for the group, my oldest says:  (my first name), we've decided that we want to call you "Dad", if it's alright with you, because you are the one that has taken care of us and given us everything we have, and, you make mamma happy.  

It's been a pretty good day, aside from my eyes being all red from having irritants in them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Made me feel pretty good when my step daughter decided to call me dad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
that great man, now take them shooting!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn.  Congrats.  

Good work at helping to develop these young men.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Acting as a spokesman for the group, my oldest says:  (my first name), we've decided that we want to call you "Dad", if it's alright with you, because you are the one that has taken care of us and given us everything we have, and, you make mamma happy.  

It's been a pretty good day, aside from my eyes being all red from having irritants in them.

I had a very similar experience. It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You're a good man, Goonboss.

And it sounds like your sons are going to turn out pretty good, too.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
wow.  Congrats, sounds like you deserve and have earned the honor.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
that great man, now take them shooting!

I take the middle child pretty regularly.  The oldest and, youngest have no interest,
and I won't push it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty cool that you earned that title. You must be very proud. Sounds like you are training some fine young Americans

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Good for all of you!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!  It's a great feeling.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And it sounds like your sons are going to turn out pretty good, too.  

They constantly win awards at school for behavior and, things like that.

They used to be hellions, becasue their former male figgure would
just countermand Mrs Goons disciplne attempts.

Let's just say that dynamic changed up hard and fast when I got there.

It was tough for a while, but, now they look at kids that are acting up and, just shake thier
heads.  Kids, especially boys crave disciplne and, a strong hand, tempered by concern
and compassion.

They've seen both sides of the hand
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
As you sow so shall you reap…

Looks like a good crop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
*sniff*

I think I have something in my eye.

That's wonderful, Goon. I'll bet it made your day.  Week.  Year.  

Pretty much.

I needed it today as work really really stinks today...But, I dont' really seem to care right now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Thats Great, Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for you Goonboss.

Boys that age need a GOOD strong male role model and looks like you have done a superb job.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Good for you Goonboss.

Boys that age need a GOOD strong male role model and looks like you have done a superb job.

Some good, some not so good.  

I'm learning this "Dad" stuff as I go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
What a wonderful way to start the day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm learning this "Dad" stuff as I go.

We all do brother

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Great story.

Love and Respect. Both earned.

Great story.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is a prime example of what most people never learn...................

Respect cannot be bought and cannot be forced upon someone. You must earn it.

Your children know you for what you are. Kids are smart like that. If you were an inconsistent idiot. They would own you by now. Congratulations! DAD

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Good job... reflects well on your parental skills.
Who threw that sand in my eyes?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a prime example of what most people never learn...................

Respect cannot be bought and cannot be forced upon someone. You must earn it.

Your children know you for what you are. Kids are smart like that. If you were an inconsistent idiot. They would own you by now. Congratulations! DAD

Yeah...If I'm one thing, it's a consistant idiot
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have been raising thee boys that were my wife's through
a previous marriage.

I knew it from jump, so, it's never been an issue.

We never had that "You aren't my father!" fight, either, becasue
when I came in, I stated, and, showed that disobiedience wouldn't
be tolerated...(Well, I let a few things slides..comments, and, the like..But if you try that with mamma, the hammer is going to drop quick and, hard.)

The youngest was 4 then, now he's 13.  The oldest just turned 16.

The oldest has held onto the idea of his father for the longest and, has really
been hurt becasue thier sperm doner is a real tool.  He'll call up the boys, and, tell them
he'll be by to get them for the weekend, then, doesn't come....We've had to take him to court three
times for child support non-payment (I offered to adopt legally, and let him out of it, but, he refused)  He told the boys he was going to kick my ass, blah blah...(While I was in Kuwait..Song changed when I got back.)

Oh..Mrs Goon only asked for 450.00/month for three boys, two of them learning disabled.
He was going to fight the divorce, but, his lawyer told him he better sign before Mrs Goon got pissed off...He did.

Anyways...The boys have been calling me by my first name.  I felt this would be less confusing, and, titles don't bestow authority or responsibility.  Never really been a big deal with me.  This morning Mrs Goon calls up, and says that the boys have somthing they want to tell me.  I figgure it's happy Valentines or some such.  It was about 0645 CST before tehy went to school.

Happy day for you!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like you have some great kids Goonboss.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#28]
good for you man, I know first hand how good that feels. mrs.np50bmg had 3 of her own when we were wed, 13yr girl, 15yr boy, and 17yr girl, their ages at that time. it was a couple years when the girls started to call me Dad, being more of a real father than their real father.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
good for you man, I know first hand how good that feels. mrs.np50bmg had 3 of her own when we were wed, 13yr girl, 15yr boy, and 17yr girl, their ages at that time. it was a couple years when the girls started to call me Dad, being more of a real father than their real father.

Girls...Ouch  I'm SO glad they were all boys.

Made it alot easier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#30]
WHOOOOO HOOOOO

[Homer] Where's the cigars?  New daddys are supposed to give cigars.[/Homer]

Good on ya G-Boss.  Your young men are at the age were the next "daddy lesson" will soon be apon you....Knowing when to get the hell out of the way and let them make their own choices.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#31]
savor it, I dont think "Dad" is spoken for the first time too often.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#32]

None of my business but make sure your kids know that its a big deal to you being called Dad now.

Its obviously important to them by the way they went about telling you.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
   None of my business but make sure your kids know that its a big deal to you being called Dad now.

Its obviously important to them by the way they went about telling you.

I'm struggleing with that one right now.  I let them know that did mean alot to me, and, I loved
them all very much.

My dad took off when I was 3, and, my mom never remarried.

I'm not much a a touchy/huggy person and, tend to have my emotions in private.

I think I did what I usually do, maybe a bit more.

I think they got it
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Goon... Good on you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top