Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
Why haven't cops devoloped a system for avoiding this, such as pulling off of the road more, having the person in the car step out and away from the vehicles, or something?  There have been so many videos like this one.

www.break.com/movies/copgrazed.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Strange that he keeps walking in the same spot he just got hit by a car, guess he didnt learn the first time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You try to leave a at least 3 foot wide walking path by offsetting the cruiser from the stopped car. But drunks and stoners are drawn to the flashing lights for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Poor guy!  You'll notice that his uniform blends in perfectly with the background so he is very hard to see.  I don't understand why the SC Highway Patrol wears dark gray and most sheriff's departments here wear all black.  It is very hard to see the SCHP guys against the asphalt and harder to see the sheriff deputies at night.  I'm surprised one of the police groups hasn't lobbied for safer uniforms.z
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I generally use a passenger side approach on busy, 45+ mph roads.  This keeps me from getting smacked and usually confuses my "violator".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I gotta practice my aim.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You try to leave a at least 3 foot wide walking path by offsetting the cruiser from the stopped car. But drunks and stoners are drawn to the flashing lights for some reason.

Target fixation.

Ever see a picture of a car hitting square on the one telephone pole withing two hundred feet of where they leave the road?

People look at what they don't want to hit and are subconsciously drawn to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Poor guy!  You'll notice that his uniform blends in perfectly with the background so he is very hard to see.  I don't understand why the SC Highway Patrol wears dark gray and most sheriff's departments here wear all black.  It is very hard to see the SCHP guys against the asphalt and harder to see the sheriff deputies at night.  I'm surprised one of the police groups hasn't lobbied for safer uniforms.z

I see cops now with the flimsy lime or orange vests (that road construction uses) over their uniform to be seen.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if the guy who hit him came back? Or if not, did they catch him?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see cops now with the flimsy lime or orange vests (that road construction uses) over their uniform to be seen.

A recent NFPA (National Fire Protection Assc) standard change now calls for first responders to wear ANSI reflective gear appropriate to the speed of the road they are working on.  For highways this means ANSI level 3 vests, which include reflective arms.  While this is a non-binding standard for fire/rescue services, I can see the LE side adopting similar rules.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm amazed he wasn't hit again after the first impact while he was wandering around on the roadway. His cruiser was too close to the car he pulled over as well as not being positioned correctly to give him a proper safety zone.

A Trooper who I knew was killed by a passing car on a traffic stop. My neighbor also hit a Trooper with the extended mirrors on his truck. The Trooper was ruffed up but didn't sustain any serious injuries.

I also see LEO’s standing between the rear of the car they have pulled over and their cruiser. That’s a good way to get your legs taken off at the knees when the cruiser is rear ended.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top