Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:43:20 AM EDT
...please share your views and thoughts on this brillant idea....

www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/01/12/firearms_tracking_device_urged/

Firearms tracking device urged
January 12, 2006

Saying gun manufacturers should take steps to track guns, a Boston city councilor is proposing that global positioning technology be installed in firearms.

Breaking News Alerts Councilor Rob Consalvo wants to put a tracking device into newly manufactured guns and have legal gun owners retrofit their firearms so owners and police can locate and retrieve stolen guns the same way police use a computer chip to locate stolen cars.

''Let's use that same technology to track weapons so we know where they are when they're stolen or bought illegally," he said. ''I think it's a common-sense idea."

Consalvo has asked Springfield-based Smith & Wesson, one of the world's largest gun manufacturers, to meet with him to discuss the proposal.

Tom Taylor, Smith & Wesson's vice president of marketing, said yesterday that the company had not yet reviewed the proposal, and declined to comment.

Some gun-rights advocates would likely oppose any effort to install tracking devices. Jim Wallace of the Gun Owners' Action League said that tracking devices would threaten individual privacy.

''We don't live in a society where the government starts tracking the things we own," Wallace said. ''It's just simply absurd."

Gun-related arrests have gone up 37 percent in the last year, and gun violence has risen 77 percent in the last three years, Consalvo said. Many guns, he added, are stolen from legal owners or smuggled into Massachusetts from surrounding states and sold illegally at flea markets and gun shows.

Consalvo acknowledged that the cost of manufacturing guns with such a device could be high, but that it would be worth it
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:45:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Joaquin:
Saying gun manufacturers should take steps to track guns, a Boston city councilor is proposing that global positioning technology be installed in firearms.

I'll agree to it if they'll first agree to install GPS technology on themselves, so that I and the rest of the "represented" public can keep track of where the scumbags we elected are hanging out and with whom.

How do ya like DEM apples, Mr. Windbag Politician?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:47:02 AM EDT
What firearms?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:49:02 AM EDT
Damn.

I hope I am not to old to participate when the camel's back finally breaks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By storminnorman:
What firearms?

Same here. A tragic kayaking accident. I capsized and I rolled right back over. When I came to, they were all gone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:46:27 AM EDT
I thought Mass, with all those extreme laws would be the safest place in the county?

Glad I live in FL where I can feel safer with fewer gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:48:51 AM EDT

www.boston.com

that's all that really needs to be said.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:52:40 AM EDT
I think we need to GPS track Council Men and other Politicains as they are much more dangerous then guns on the street. What a bunch of fools.....

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:56:12 AM EDT
"Look at your GPS, cant you see my gun is at the bottom of the lake."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT
Let me guess. Police would be exempt?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 9:02:01 AM EDT by NewbHunter]

Originally Posted By bullyforyou:

www.boston.com

that's all that really needs to be said.

You think that's bad? Try this one: http://www.madison.com/ (leave cold)

Oh, and just in case you think I have my tinfoil on a little too tight about the star in the logo...

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 9:03:23 AM EDT by macro]
I resent that the only thing that ever gets mentioned when these stupid topics come up is weapons. Why not track canned tuna in case there is a recall? How about tracking childrens gloves...they always seem to get lost at the playground? I would love it if they tracked hub caps...then I could find the one that flew off my wifes car a few months ago. But no...thye just want to track guns...and that will do what? The fact is, we may not live in a world yet where our government tracks our movement...but its coming, and coming soon. We are slowly being desensitized to it, day by day.

When we use a cell phone to text message for directions to some place, the answer gives the distance to the desired location......because the system knows exactly where the caller is through triangulation. I personally work with RFID....we can track items as small as a fountain pen, and do. I am working on a project that incorporates RFID tags with name badges for people that work in my complex.....so we can identify location of functional groups of employees.

As people get more accustomed to the lack of privacy, they will accept this kind of thing more and more....and that scares the shit out of me. I dont like how things are going....and like it or not, its only a matter of time before everything is tagged, because a lot of it already is. It just really pisses me off that politicians will be public about tracking firearms because liberal idiots will rally behind it...because it doesnt affect them. Lets see how the hippies feel car manufacturers install air sensors in all new models of cars that are capable of detecting pot smoke or alcohol inside the vehicle by samping the air for composition...all funded of course by the insurance lobby in an attempt to cut down on DUI accidents. Sure...track guns, fuck the rednecks.....but, "hey man...you cant track my car man....thats like an ivasion of privacy man.....i have rights you know man"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:08:01 AM EDT
A grass roots organization in the area needs to find out how many crimes committed with firearms there were last year and then find out in how many of those cases did the firearm charges get dropped. Usually the firearm charges are dropped in a plea bargin to the actual crime itself. Then the organization needs to publicly hound the city officials and ask why they want more laws when they intentionally do not prosecute the firearm violations to begin with. It would be fun to put him on the spot in front of the press, "Mr. Mayor, why do you want new firearm laws when last year your prosecutors intentionally chose not to prosecute 63% of the firearm cases and dropped the charges?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 9:17:04 AM EDT by Hamel]
That councilman is quite the anti-gunner.

Check out his website:

www.robconsalvo.com/

Wants to develop a gun offender registry as well.

Why not put GPS units on released criminals instead. Then instead of having big brother know exactly where every legal gun is, they can track the people who will commit most of the crimes. (or just not release them in the first place)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
So, when a gps tracked stolen car is recovered, it is returned to the owner. Would that apply with gps tracked firearms as well?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:28:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 9:28:27 AM EDT by LANCEMAN]
So I guess this device would be enclosed in some metal alloy or composite material that would protect it from a drill bit ? A criminal could probably just throw the gun in an old microwave and fry the electronic devide inside. Of course actually tracking the firearms isn't the point, getting yet another restrictive firearms law on the books and increasing the cost of firearms is their main goal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:
Of course actually tracking the firearms isn't the point, getting yet another restrictive firearms law on the books and increasing the cost of firearms is their main goal.

The sad part part about this is that it is yet another glaring example of why the current laws (as they are implemented) dont address the real underlying problem...

Between taxes, fee, license costs, increase in ammo costs, etc....the cost of gun ownership has risen to the point where it takes a pretty good amount of coin to be a gun owner these days, much less a collector. All along, the anti's fail to realize that the folks who take the extra steps of dealing with red tape, and then laying out the hard earned money to legally obtain firearms arent the ones comitting crimes with them. Laws dont prevent crime, they punish it. (in the same way that cops dont prevent crime, they investigate them after they have already occurred)

Implementing a tracking technology will just continue to drive the cost of ownership up, do nothing to reduce crime, and open a door wo which a very slipery slope awaits across the threshold. The whole thing makes me sick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:16:54 PM EDT
"No, I'm sorry.. all of my GPS tracked firearms were lost in a terrible.. uh.. microwave accident?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:18:32 PM EDT

Consalvo acknowledged that the cost of manufacturing guns with such a device could be high, but that it would be worth it

Coming from the fucktard who WON'T be buying any. Fuck off, eh.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:24:10 PM EDT

Gun-related arrests have gone up 37 percent in the last year, and gun violence has risen 77 percent in the last three years, Consalvo said.

And all this, despite some of the most invasive firearms laws in the country.

I guess banning all those firearms has really been worth the effort, huh?

Fuck Massachusettes, and every Masshole that votes for those programs, or the officials who implement them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT

Then I'm sure that since it will be so worth it, he won't mind picking up the tab? Or having his state pick up the tab?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:37:38 PM EDT
Timothy J Twoomey, MA's cambridge 26th middlesex county rep., also introduced a bill to the House of reps to mandate EVERY firearm a firearm owner owns must carry 250k insurance individually,---> ea gun![LOL2] Their all a bunch of dirt bags! I just laugh and fear for those younger than I.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:47:33 PM EDT
Goal is working on it.

Gun Owners' Action League

The Official Firearms Association of Massachusetts

P.O. Box 567 Northboro, MA 01532

Phone: (508) 393-5333 * Fax: (508) 393-5222 * Email: staff@goal.org

www.goal.org

In the News This Week

Many of you have no doubt seen the headlines proclaiming that Boston may seek to restrict the sale of ammunition to licensed gun owners, and require recordkeeping of ammunition sales. It is clear the Boston city leadership needs a history lesson.

In 1968, Congress passed a law requiring all licensed firearms dealers to record the names and addresses of persons who bought ammunition. Yet in 1986, that provision in the law was repealed _ with the support of Senator Ted Kennedy. At that time, the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, in public testimony, referred to _needless ammunition recordkeeping requirements._ A Treasury official testified that _the Bureau and the Department have recognized that current recordkeeping requirements for ammunition have no substantial law enforcement value._

So why is Boston being urged to go down that road again? Because all their other methods of gun control have failed to contain criminals.

We urge you to contact your state senator and state representative to send a clear message to ignore all the hype andfocus on reform . Ask your legislators to not create more restrictions, but instead to support H.4552, GOAL_s Precision Sports Legislative Reform Bill.

Your call this week can both help stop a bad idea in its tracks and get H.4552 moving again.

If you are not sure who your state legislators are, go to http://wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php and look at the reference for _Senator_ or _Rep_in General Court.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jon3:
Goal is working on it.

Gun Owners' Action League

The Official Firearms Association of Massachusetts

P.O. Box 567 Northboro, MA 01532

Phone: (508) 393-5333 * Fax: (508) 393-5222 * Email: staff@goal.org

www.goal.org

In the News This Week

Many of you have no doubt seen the headlines proclaiming that Boston may seek to restrict the sale of ammunition to licensed gun owners, and require recordkeeping of ammunition sales. It is clear the Boston city leadership needs a history lesson.

In 1968, Congress passed a law requiring all licensed firearms dealers to record the names and addresses of persons who bought ammunition. Yet in 1986, that provision in the law was repealed _ with the support of Senator Ted Kennedy. At that time, the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, in public testimony, referred to _needless ammunition recordkeeping requirements._ A Treasury official testified that _the Bureau and the Department have recognized that current recordkeeping requirements for ammunition have no substantial law enforcement value._

So why is Boston being urged to go down that road again? Because all their other methods of gun control have failed to contain criminals.

We urge you to contact your state senator and state representative to send a clear message to ignore all the hype andfocus on reform . Ask your legislators to not create more restrictions, but instead to support H.4552, GOAL_s Precision Sports Legislative Reform Bill.

Your call this week can both help stop a bad idea in its tracks and get H.4552 moving again.

If you are not sure who your state legislators are, go to http://wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php and look at the reference for _Senator_ or _Rep_in General Court.

And what does H4552 do?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:53:04 PM EDT
"Feel the poop! Feel the poop! It's still warm!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:03:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HorseHung:

Gun-related arrests have gone up 37 percent in the last year, and gun violence has risen 77 percent in the last three years, Consalvo said.

And all this, despite some of the most invasive firearms laws in the country.

I guess banning all those firearms has really been worth the effort, huh?

Fuck Massachusettes, and every Masshole that votes for those programs, or the officials who implement them.

What can one expect? They elect Ted Kennedy each time he runs; he's virtually unassailable. So, more than half are idiots/assholes or there is election fraud (how many people do you know or have you met from Massachusetts and California who say: A) They didn't vote for <fill in asshole name>; and B) There's really a conservative majority who is outvoted/outdone by "those people" in the cities).

As far as danger is concerned, I saw a guy in Prescott last Fall when I was out there, walking around open carrying what looked like a Colt SAA or p[ossibly a Ruger Vaquero,nice color case and blue, in a western holster. (Really attacked a whole bunch of people, bothered everyone and robbed little old ladies or, at least that's what the libs would have you believe.) I had my BHP concealed (FL CWL recognized in AZ). I guess some would have expected a shootout and blood running in the streets. We nodded, as we would have 100+ years ago before the idiots took over in so many places.

It is a tragedy that the "Cradle of Liberty" as Mass. liked to call itself has become such a cesspool of idiots trying to dictate every part of one's existence.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:05:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:06:34 PM EDT by rjroberts]
double post, the site simply hung
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:06:51 PM EDT by rjroberts]
triple post, the site had hung
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hamel:
Why not put GPS units on released criminals instead. Then instead of having big brother know exactly where every legal gun is, they can track the people who will commit most of the crimes. (or just notrelease them in the first place)

There is a bill in the house for that too. And I'm serious.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:13:05 PM EDT
Oh, the sheep are indeed fortunate to have a shepherd such as him.

Hasn't there been an increase of MS-13 in the beantown area, lately?

Maybe he can track them instead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:15:23 PM EDT by Cahill]

Originally Posted By JBowles:
"Look at your GPS, cant you see my gun is at the bottom of the lake."

Abso fuckin lutely

Take apart gun, remove said GPS, put GPS in a concrete form, pour concrete, dump concrete block in Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:14:36 PM EDT
It really makes one wonder if, election fraud is rampent in Massduhchewsshitz.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:15:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

Why not put GPS units on released criminals instead. Then instead of having big brother know exactly where every legal gun is, they can track the people who will commit most of the crimes. (or just notrelease them in the first place)

For people with multiple felony records, I have little problem with that... although they shouldn't have been out to begin with.

I also don't have a problem with a GPS tracking device in my 1911... right between the steel slide and the steel dust cover. Don't we have a tin-foil-hat smiley yet?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:16:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

For people with multiple felony records, I have little problem with that... although they shouldn't have been out to begin with.

I also don't have a problem with a GPS tracking device in my 1911... right between the steel slide and the steel dust cover. Don't we have a tin-foil-hat smiley yet?

Im with you on not letting them out. You commit violent crimes you never join society again.
Top Top