Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 11:27:36 PM EDT
Did you have a section of class time in school for music of some sort.

I remember all the way up untill my freshman year in high school I had  some sort of class about 3 to 5 times a week where music was part of the lesson plan.

When I hit high school it was an elective course but part of the art requierment needed for graduation.

ETA: Thouse of you with kids.  Is it still part of their education or did they cut it to save money?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
We had music as part of class 2 or 3 times a week up until middle school, then it was all elective.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
We had a music class we went to a couple times a week in elementary, in Jr. High and High School it was required that you take at least a semester of it in Jr and High school.  

Personally, the music class I had were some of the most boring classes I ever took.  It wasn't that the stuff they presented were bad (I HATE musicals though), its that they presented it in the most mundane and flat-out brain-mushing method as humanly possible.  Art was an assembly line drawing sort of stuff, not too much in the way of "what do you see, and why" and art history.  

I find myself getting more into music as I age, especially classical.  But I would still hate to try to go through a class.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I love Elmer
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I had sax for eight years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Drummer in wind ensamble till 9th grade. After that was marching band, which wasn't my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
In my local high school, 2/3 of the student body is invovled in band or orchestra.  They have 3 sections of orchestra, and 3 sections of band, plus a pep band and a jazz band.  The student's parents must put an additional $1,500 per student per year to help defry the cost of travel expenses and uniforms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I was made 1st trumpet, 1st chair in the first week of my freshmen year of HS and held that position all 4 years. I blew away the seniors, much to their dismay.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had sax for eight years.

5 years. It wasn't fun in high school.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was made 1st trumpet, 1st chair in the first week of my freshmen year of HS and held that position all 4 years. I blew away the seniors, much to their dismay.

They must have hated you at the old folks home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Glue eater here.      

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I played flute for 5 years in elementary school.  I wasn't very good so I sang in the choir for 4 years in H.S..  (3 of the 5 girls I dated for any length of time in H.S. were in the choir.  I love it when a plan comes together.)

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top