Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:22:24 PM EDT
Driving to an icefishing tournament when I see a vehicle pulled over on a deserted highway and hazards flashing. Guy standing by the late 90's chevy s15 blazer wearing a corrections officer uniform. According to my vehicle, it is minus 25F.
Saturday morning 5 am.

I pullover and asks if he needs a hand. Said his vehicle was overheating on his way to work so he pulled over and got out to check it out. Problem was, he locked himself out! "Do you have a spanner or something to break the window?" Guy is obviously a Brit. I told him to get in and warm up while we looked at options. Asked if he wouldn't just like a ride into town. "No, my wife has the other set of keys and she left (going the other direction) for work in another town." How about a locksmith? "At 5 AM the window will probably be cheaper than the locksmith out here." I tried the chevy keys I had, but they wouldn't open it. I dig out a lug wrench and told him to do the honors. "Can you hold a torch for me?" Like I said, a Brit.

He breaks the driver side wing window in the rear. Reaches in, pulls the handle from the inside and nothing, door still locked. "This wouldn't happen to have child locks engaged on the backdoors would it?" I ask. About this time he takes the lug wrench and starts to swing it like a baseball bat toward driver front window (or would that be the spanner and cricket?) I got him to stop. Dug out an extension handle of a hydraulic jack. With me guiding him from the passenger side, he was able to get the handle on the driver side door lock and open it.

"Bloody lucky you came along. I'm not sure I could have lasted much longer out here." I replied, "Look at it this way, the rest of your day will probably be better!"

It isn't every day that you get to help a cop break into a car on a cold dark night.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:35:43 PM EDT
Great job!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:00:40 AM EDT
always good to act rather than to simply wish someone well. Good for you.
Godbless.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:03:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By barkley-addict:
Godbless.

+1

Small town he works in? Must be funny to have a British LEO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:35:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Originally Posted By barkley-addict:
Godbless.

+1

Small town he works in? Must be funny to have a British LEO.

Like John Cleese in Silverado.

"As you may have guessed, I'm not from around here."

"No kidding?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:52:36 PM EDT
Are you really sure it was his truck??
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed:
Are you really sure it was his truck??

Pretty sure. He was 10 miles from the nearest town and in the middle of a friend's ranch. It was well below zero and early in the morning. If he didn't use the truck, how did he get there? That and the fact he is a correction officer made me pretty sure.

However, I did call the prison down the road to confirm everything.......

(TRUST......but verify)

SRM
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:48:19 AM EDT
Good Job!
Top Top