Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
All we heard is that he shot this guy Whittington in the face. My question is did he kill the quail or not?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:20:28 PM EDT
Good question.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:25:16 PM EDT
Also who got eat them(quail)?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
I doubt it, sounds like that guy was a pellet sponge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 4:29:08 PM EDT by njJoniGuy]
And now Yahoo news is saying that it was Whittington's fault for not announcing himself as he walked into the veep's field of fire. Lucky it was only birdshot from a 28 ga shotty.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060214/pl_nm/cheney_accident1_dc

White House under gun for Cheney shooting mishap By Patricia Wilson
16 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House was bombarded with questions on Monday about why it failed to go public with news that Vice President Dick Cheney shot a fellow quail hunter until the day after the accident.

The victim, Harry Whittington, 78, took pellets in his cheek, neck and chest when Cheney fired his shotgun while aiming for a bird during a hunt in southern Texas on Saturday, and was in stable condition at a Corpus Christi hospital.

Whittington was moved out of intensive care on Monday afternoon but Peter Banko, administrator of Christus Spohn Hospital, said he did not know when Whittington would be discharged.

"His condition continues to be stable ... it's not critical, it's not serious. He's in stable condition, doing extremely well," Banko said.

The accident happened about 5:30 p.m. on a private ranch about 200 miles south of San Antonio, where the vice president has hunted previously. Whittington was treated on the scene by Cheney's traveling medical detail before being taken by helicopter to the hospital.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said on Monday that Cheney would receive a warning citation for not having a special bird-hunting stamp on a Texas hunting license he bought earlier.

Cheney's office said in the only statement it has issued on the shooting that his staff had purchased the license thinking it covered quail hunting, but had not been told about the stamp.

"The Vice President has sent a $7 check to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which is the cost of an upland game bird stamp," the statement said.

NOT REPORTED

The accident was not reported publicly by the vice president's office until Sunday afternoon and then only after an account provided by the ranch's owner appeared on the Web site of the local newspaper, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

In a testy exchange with reporters on Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan faced dozens of questions about the propriety of a private citizen making public a shooting incident involving the vice president and whether Cheney had followed White House protocol.

McClellan said President George W. Bush and senior aides were first told by staff in the Situation Room that there had been an accident in Cheney's hunting party and that the president learned later on Saturday night that the vice president had been the shooter.

"I think he was informed in a relatively reasonable time," McClellan said at the news briefing.

McClellan said the vice president's staff did not tell reporters about the accident on Saturday because they were concerned about getting Whittington medical attention and were still gathering facts.

Cheney and the owner of the property, Katharine Armstrong, then agreed that she should provide the information to the public about an accident that happened on her ranch.

"The vice president spoke with Mrs. Katharine Armstrong, and they agreed that she should make that information public," McClellan said. "She was an eyewitness. She saw what occurred and she called her local paper to provide those facts."

NATIONAL MEDIA IN DARK

Armstrong said it wasn't until Sunday that she telephoned the Caller-Times. She did not notify the national media or the White House press corps.

McClellan declined to say if he was satisfied with the way it was handled.

"You can always look back at these issues and look at how to do a better job," he said.

McClellan said he found out that Cheney was involved at 6 a.m. on Sunday and urged that information be made available as quickly as possible.

According to Armstrong's account, she saw the incident from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter, identified by the Caller-Times on Monday as Pam Willeford, the U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein, got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

As Whittington went to retrieve a bird he had shot, Cheney and Willeford spotted a second covey.

Whittington came up behind and failed to signal that he was there or announce himself, which is proper protocol for hunters. Cheney, an experienced hunter, fired his shotgun without realizing that Whittington had approached the group.

A statement from the Kennedy County Sheriff's department said an investigation, though somewhat delayed because of communication problems at the ranch, had found "there was no alcohol or misconduct involved in the incident."

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:28:33 PM EDT
All Cheney managed to kill was the last sliver of respect a lot of people had for him. There is no excuse for shooting your hunting partner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:30:08 PM EDT
He was hunting quail?

I thought he was hunting lawyers!

All Cheney managed to kill was the last sliver of respect a lot of people had for him.

Speak for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:30:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
All Cheney managed to kill was the last sliver of respect a lot of people had for him. There is no excuse for shooting your hunting partner.

Unless your hunting partner is Hillary Clinton.

Then we would all be complaining that he did a piss poor job of shooting her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
Jesus, he didnt even have the proper stamp to be hunting quail? ahahahaha what a fucktard!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:44:37 PM EDT
The first question I asked at work when we heard about it was "Which cheek?"

Lawyer ? Quail? Lawyer? Quail? Lawyer? Quail? damn it's hard to make them tough decision when hunting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:45:24 PM EDT
Supposedly the gentleman that was shot had left his position in the line to look for a downed bird and did not notify everyone of his intentions. If that is the case, I wouldn't lay all of the blame on the V.P.. Bad things happen.

I doubt if he killed the bird, sounds like that guys face got in the way.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:48:26 PM EDT
The said earlier during Rush that the guy had been in the ICU till this morning
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT by roboman]

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:19:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
The said earlier during Rush that the guy had been in the ICU till this morning

Not that surprising if the victim is 78 years old.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT by warlord]
I wonder if Cheney's gun will become a collector's item? Cheney should turn over his gun to the National Smithsonian Museum to keep for posterity.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:24:07 PM EDT
Looks like he got the guys heart!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:49:07 AM EDT
Bump...I still have not found out if he hit the bird too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:52:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:52:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Bump...I still have not found out if he hit the bird too.

Sorry I can't help ya out as it has not been mentioned in any of the articles I've perused.

I can tell ya this though, he has a rep for being a better than average shot w/ a scatter-gun.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:59:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:06:11 AM EDT

Why do you stay here and why post over 19,000 times when you hate gun owners, hate the Constitution (especially the fifth amendment), hate freedom, and hate the Republicans so much?z
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:14:15 AM EDT
I sent an email to Fox news show Dayside and see if they will answer it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:15:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USGI_45:
Jesus, he didnt even have the proper stamp to be hunting quail? ahahahaha what a fucktard!

They asked what they needed for permits, and weren't told about that stamp.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:17:03 AM EDT
I am going quail hunting in Marathon TX this weekend. Maybe I run accross what he missed.
Top Top