Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:05:17 PM EDT
I imagine I speak for everyone here (at least Americans) that when we generally use the word "yankee" we are referring to something pertaining to the northeast region (only old union states?). I've heard foreigners call us all (me personally) a yank (not necessarily in a derogatory way either). How did we all get to be known as "yankee". I reckon you call someone "yankee" down here, it is akin to calling them a "mother fucker".
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
We (Americans) were always the yankees, but as the South grew its own identity separate from the Northern United States, we wished in some way to distinguish ourselves, thus THEY became "the Yankees"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The same reason Brits are known as Limeys, even the ones not in the Royal Navy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yankee = East Coaster in the New England area.

Folks from the South don't take too kindly being lumped together in that catagory.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
A "Yankee" is anyone that lives North of Atlanta
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There are many different stories and theories for its origin, but I like Dave Bearrys' the best:

ORIGIN OF "YANKEE"
Thank you to the many people who have sent in explanations for the word "Yankee." There are a number of variations, but the consensus is that "Yankee" means either "Spawn of Satan," or "Hoosier."

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Better than Seppo....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe they think we all play baseball
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ignorance. Plain and simple.

BTW - its not all foreigners.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, that would be a "blue belly."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Why do yanks think that all foreigners call them yanks?

When I lived in Germany and Denmark, the slang term for an American was usually "Ami" - not sure I remember anyone calling Americans "yanks" or "yankees"

But it might be pretty prevalent in the U.K. - and was probably a term that because common during WW2 when so many U.S. servicemen came over there.  I dunno.  

Is it common in Mexico?  ... or was it an original Indian term from some local tribe that just described white people in general, and then somehow became a label for all Americans?

Interesting question - so I'm tagging for a better explanation.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Because it's the best baseball team in existance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I reckon you call someone "yankee" down here, it is akin to calling them a "mother fucker".

That's the way I always understood the term.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yankee = East Coaster in the New England area.

Folks from the South don't take too kindly being lumped together in that catagory.

Why don't you leave and start your own country then.
Better luck this go round!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
"Yankee" and "Yank" originally referred to all Americans. The foreigners are holding to the oldes meaning of the word. The US use (which sometimes seems to be "people who live north of here" - many Southerners consider Pennsylvanians to be Yankees, but AFAIK no Pennsylvanians agree) is relatively novel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I've only heard brits do it
which goes back to colonial days
which brings up another point. Why do some brits still refer to us as "The Colonies"?
England had colonies all over, not just here
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Brits usually are the only foreigners to use it widely.

My understanding is that the term came from the Dutch when settling New Amsterdam (Now of course, New York City)  The term John Keys, or Jan Kees was a common nickname that eventually led to the word Yankee.  The term became self applied and after a while the yanks were comin', over there!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
They call us yankees to differentiate between us and other American Peoples i.e. Central and South Americans and lets not forget the far north Americans=Canada.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Over there,
Over there,
Oh, the Yanks are coming,
The Yanks are coming,
And it won't be over 'til it's over over there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
why do they call the USA "the states" and not america?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Brits in general: Limeys

Royal Navy Members: Limey sailors.

When referring to the Royal Navy: The Pommy Navy.

Damned if I know why, but I hear this a lot in my business.

None of it is meant to be abusive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
We all look alike to them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Because we are always yanking thier ass out of the fire when a war starts?

Agreed, better than Seppo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
DK-Prof

... or was it an original Indian term from some local tribe that just described white people in general, and then somehow became a label for all Americans?

During the French Indian War the Mohawk and Hearon nations refered to the white man as Yankee.  During the Revolution all Colonialist were considered Yankees by the crown...If I remember my history right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Most so-called 'hispanic' countries call americans gringos. I know the Cuban gov't and Cuban

Communists refer to Americans as Janqui (pronounced yankee) and the rest of the Cubans just

say gringos(pronounced green-goes) or gringas (pronounced green-gahs).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I was at the bar last night, and there were these two Yanks there .........

But one of these Yanks was a Johnny Reb ........................
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Over there,
Over there,
Oh, the Yanks are coming,
The Yanks are coming,
And it won't be over 'til it's over over there.

We have a winner!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I reckon you call someone "yankee" down here, it is akin to calling them a "mother fucker".

That's the way I always understood the term.

Actually, it's an Indian word that means "winner of the war of southern stupidity".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#32]
something to do with "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?  

anyway, wasn't till I was in college till I realized "damnyankee" was really 2 words
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
which brings up another point. Why do some brits still refer to us as "The Colonies"?

They're still pissy about getting their asses kicked by a bunch of farmers and merchants.

And around here, if you refer to anyone who isn't from the northeast as a yank, you just insulted them. If you call someone from the northeast a yankee, it isn't an insult; he's a yankee.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I imagine I speak for everyone here (at least Americans) that when we generally use the word "yankee" we are referring to something pertaining to the northeast region (only old union states?). I've heard foreigners call us all (me personally) a yank (not necessarily in a derogatory way either). How did we all get to be known as "yankee". I reckon you call someone "yankee" down here, it is akin to calling them a "mother fucker".

Could be worse.

They could call us "colonists". I knew a pencil necked Brit who insisted on calling me a colonist back in my younger days, before age, Jesus, and good sense mellowed my nature. He was trying to play his Brittish charm up against my "hick" (his words) demeanor in order to get in the panties of a girl I was dating.

He needed all the charm he could muster, because he was one ugly buck-toothed bastard.

I finally told him that if he insisted on calling me a colonist one more time I was going to stage another Yorktown on his face.

"Just like you Americans...Resorting to violence rather than discussing problems like civilized people."

I then put him in a very civilized arm lock and made him eat some very civilized Virginia dirt.

"You moron!" I yelled. "You brits ought to know not to piss off Virginians by now!!!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:35:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Baloney.

Go to Florida. When you can walk through a park listening to two Yentas talk about trying to keep a kosher table, you are not in "the south."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well, in fairness, name another former Brittish colony that has done as well as we have. The whole colonial period is a bit embarassing for lots of powers because things weren't as politically correct back then.

With the US there is no guilt because now we are a rich and powerful nation.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brits in general: Limeys

Royal Navy Members: Limey sailors.

When referring to the Royal Navy: The Pommy Navy.

I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own earth, and remind 'im that we don't like stuck-up sticky beats here!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top