Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 1:00:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They must have found someone they liked more,they should have gave a better reason.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Or possibly, they may have already made the deal for an internal applicant, but had to turn the wheels to make it look like fair play.  Happens often.

Sorry to hear it, trader.  Hire a better employer, I always say.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Or possibly, they may have already made the deal for an internal applicant, but had to turn the wheels to make it look like fair play.  Happens often.

Yup this pisses me off more than anything.  Waste of everyone's time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I hate that crap too. I took a day off to travel 2 hours away to interview for a job. They were interested in me but I was upfront and told them what my skill set was and it didn't sound like a match. They still wanted me to come in after two phone interviews lasting about 2 hours.

When I got there they were a bunch of rednecks and I wound up waiting in the shitty oily-aired hiring offices of a factory for a long time. This was for a very well paying job, I was wearing a DSA FAL-priced suit which still smells like machine oil. When I got to the interviews they were pretty much blowing me off about my skill set. WTF?

Since then I've heard what a shitty place that place is to work, lots of nepotism, backstabbing and assfucking each other, etc.

The only thing the interview was good for was to practice interviewing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
More like they just decided they really needed High Yield experience.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen this happen with the .gov where I work a lot.  They already have the golden child picked out, but due to .gov regs, they have to interview X number of people anyway.  I feel bad when I see them come in because a lot of them appear to be very good and just looking for a break.   I know I would be pissed off.   It's a catch-22 because when do you know when you will actually catch a break as opposed to being jerked around?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like the HR guy was covering his bases and just bringing applicants to justify his existence.  Yes - it sux.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Never ascribe to malice and conspiracy that which can adequately be explained by stupidity and incompetence.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Could they have heard about your recent gay bashing?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had something like that happen to me before. I think they are just making up the reason you didn't get the job. They probably found someone better, or didn't like you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you draw down on them?

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am sure there is something they did not like about me during the interview...

Did you talk about your penis at all?

Did you put ''yes please''  in the spot where it says ''sex'' on the app?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Better to find out the kind of boss you might have before you sign on...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had that situtation happen to me as well. In my case, they told me not to waste their time, while all the while for the past 2 months of the process they had been apparently wasting mine and didn't listen to what I told them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd say the blame for all of this falls on Bush!  After all, you know he hates black poor homeless muslim old people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate to burst your bubble but all they wanted is that $10.00 parking fee, fiqure it out, they have 15 interveiws a day  thats $150.00. Times 5, Thats $750.00, times 52 =$39,000 a year they make in interviews. My company does it all the time.  Thats how I get my salary.......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Never ascribe to malice and conspiracy that which can adequately be explained by stupidity and incompetence.

Nice. Hanlon's Razor. Words to live by.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I always try to steer clear of the people from HR, those people know nothing about what they are hiring for, especially for technical positions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yea, I hate that crap.  They should have just asked you the basics the first time, and then said that if another applicant didn't match what they wanted better than you, then you would get the job, and to wait for a phone call.....at least that way you wouldn't be getting strung along when you could be earning $.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I got interviewed for a certain job three times.  HR Head Guy wanted to hire me for a position he was creating.  He didn't bother to sell the job to his boss or coworkers (chief of finance, etc.).  Made a 2hour round trip three times, finally the executive director told me I looked too young.

They never bothered to validate my parking any of the three times -- and this was a law firm making MEGA bucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sounds like the HR guy was covering his bases and just bringing applicants to justify his existence.  Yes - it sux.

Most Human Resource guys don't know shit. He probably knew as much about investment banking as my dog.

One of my buddies worked for Raytheon as a Signal Integrity Engineer, there group was hiring a DSP (Digital Signal Processing) engineer. They told the HR guys they wanted DSP experience, well they fucking passed over a guy who spelled out Digital Signal Processing on his resume because they didn't know what the hell DSP really was.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]
This subject really hits on a nerve of mine. I have been interviewing recently and my god it is driving me nutz. Being asked to drive 2 hours each way to interview postion that was later informed did not exist. (Merck Pharmaceuticals). Having head hunters call me and constantly lie about the postion or how much I will make. One told me that it was a outside sales position that had a base of 50's plus car plus commission. I go to the interview. It is inside sales, base of 18k and no car as it is inside sales. Talk about being full of shit. I made it a point to call out these recruiters to the prospective employers. To let them know they wasted both of our times. The recruiters get pissed. Oh well.

I could go on and on but I might break my computer. Why can't people be honest and upfront? They wonder why employee loyalty is so low now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#30]
The one thing I have learned from job interviews is that no matter what the position they are hiring for is that the only thing that counts is when they say, "your hired"...no matter how the interview went everything else is all bullshit until that moment arrives. I can't count the number of times I walked out of that interview just knowing that I landed myself a new job. Forget about it and move on to the next interview, that's my advice or better yet go out tonight and get a blowjob from some hot chick and then FORGET about it and move on to the next interview
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#31]
HR guys usually make it a habit to not be conversant in professions outside HR, and expecting HR guys to know engineering, contracts, program management, finance, etc etc is a stretch to begin with.  I did, but I worked in a subsidiary where I did finance, contracts administration, finance, and some design engineering, with some HR thrown in.

They shouldn't tell you why you didn't make it.  Now you can call up and say "they never asked me about that.  I can do that.  I think they are discriminating agaainst me because I am a Catholic Asian-Pacific Islander VietNam vet old guy."

Then again Managers really need to know what they are really looking for before they start interviewing.  You'ld be surprised at how many keep changing their minds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Did it occur to you that since they were ok with yu until they saw you that it might be because you are a minority, and the excuse they gave you was just BS because obviously they can't say "we don't hire asians in TX."

Lawyer up dude!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Dude

you think that is bad try the federal government.  I work for the guberment so I speak the gospel on this.  Most of the time there is no open  competition for a postion.  They are mostly  pre-selected and the whole ordeal is  smoke and mirrors to make it appear as if  it is a open and fair procedure for filling a position.  After a few years I got sick of  being interview fodder,  you wait until someone tells you "you should put in for that job, you would be a good candiate"  then you put in--otherwise it is a waste of time.

this is how I got every promotion
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Dude

you think that is bad try the federal government.  I work for the guberment so I speak the gospel on this.  Most of the time there is no open  competition for a postion.  They are mostly  pre-selected and the whole ordeal is  smoke and mirrors to make it appear as if  it is a open and fair procedure for filling a position.  After a few years I got sick of  being interview fodder,  you wait until someone tells you "you should put in for that job, you would be a good candiate"  then you put in--otherwise it is a waste of time.

I recently applied for a job on Ft. Knox doing IT. My dad is in pretty good with the Chief Range Control guy and on one of his visits he mentioned that I had applied. CRCG flat out said even if I was the most qualified applicant, I wouldn't get the job because I wasn't prior military. He has something like 25 open jobs and over 100 qualified applicants but none are prior military so he was told he can't hire them. How's that for "Equal Opportunity Employer"?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I applied for a position more than a few years ago.  I got an interview, they gave me a full tour of the facility including all of the keycard access only rooms, showed me an empty office that presumably would have been mine, and then called me a day later saying they needed someone with more experience.  Granted it was a valid concern at the time, but why the tour and the whole nine yards?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Where i work , they have to interview at least 3 people for the job, even tho they might have somebody lined up.You were part of their "Quota", to make them look busy.....Sucks greatly...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most Human Resource guys don't know shit. He probably knew as much about investment banking as my dog.

One of my buddies worked for Raytheon as a Signal Integrity Engineer, there group was hiring a DSP (Digital Signal Processing) engineer. They told the HR guys they wanted DSP experience, well they fucking passed over a guy who spelled out Digital Signal Processing on his resume because they didn't know what the hell DSP really was.

Most every HR type that I've dealt with is a fucking moron.  This includes companies I've interviewed with.  I've turned down offers from a few places because of the HR staff and let the management know it.  One project manager (of a large defense contractor) became livid when I told him this because appearantly I was not the first to inform him that his HR people are worthless.  It was pretty funny actually.  He ended up apologizing and increasing the offer.  Still turned him down.  I'm certainly not saying this about ALL of them, just the ones I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with.      
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1 Show a little love.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#41]
It makes them feel important.  After all their job is to interview.  They don't care about the person!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry that happened to you.  They should have at least had the cajones to give you honest feedback so you could improve and not waste your time.

Be very discriminating.  Remember, you are in the driver's seat.  They need you.  You already have a job.

Make it clear up front that you don't wish to be interviewed if they already have an internal candidate picked out and that you are very busy with your current job.

Try to do phone interviews when at all possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Esp. when in the teaching profession, when trying to get a job teaching in public schools. Every school committee member and local pol has a niece or nephew waiting in the wings to get the job you are qualified to get. It's often a bag job. The hiring committees have to go through the motions or else break all kinds of laws and get charged with favoritism/nepotism (which is really what they are doing anyway,) so they just cover it up cleverly. It's not what you know, but whom you know. I saw it happen a lot.

Sorry to hear it, trader.  Hire a better employer, I always say.

True. They sound like a bunch of swine- you're better off without them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Dude

That is exactly how I got hired for my job in .gov from the outside. Of course, the people at the inside already knew me from my volunteer work for them. Somebody I know inside called me up and said, "Hey, they're hiring. You should put in for that job, you would be a good candidate".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I applied for a position more than a few years ago.  I got an interview, they gave me a full tour of the facility including all of the keycard access only rooms, showed me an empty office that presumably would have been mine, and then called me a day later saying they needed someone with more experience.  Granted it was a valid concern at the time, but why the tour and the whole nine yards?

The person doing the interviewing doesn't have much work in his present position. He was merely filling up his time and looking busy to the boss man. The interviewer will probably be getting canned himself pretty soon....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
OK so last week I get a call from an HR department for a major High Yield investment banking firm outta NYC. They have a desk here in Dallas also. So I talk with the HR guy and I send my resume. The following day, he calls me up wants to go over my background. I point out that although I have institutional sales/trading experience in various fixed income products, I do not have direct experience in High Yield products(junk bonds). He says, "that would fine, you have a strong background in fixed income products and I don't see a problem with that" So I get set with a phone interview with the head of the desk here in Dallas last Friday. I again point out the fact that I do not have High Yield trading experience as I do not want to waste his time and mine. He says that fine. Come in Monday morning. So I show up for my interview this morning. It was with him and his boss on the phone in NYC. We go thru the whole song and dance. I thought I did pretty well, I answered all question clear and concise. They asked me a lot about the market, ways to trade in certain markets, difference between high yield and investment grade bonds, my background, software I've used, etc. We were cracking joke laughing and getting comfy.

Now mind you, I took a day off from my contract gig with no pay to do this.

So I get a call just a few minutes ago, and was told they are going to pass cause I don't have High Yield experience.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

That is what I have been telling them from the get go. Nothing in my resume says I have High Yield trading experience. That has got to be the lamest excuse. I am sure there is something they did not like about me during the interview, but to say they are going to pass due to something I have been upfront all along is just stupid in my book. Arrrghhhh this burns me up!!! I just blew off $$$ for a days work. Not to mention $10 in parking cause they don't fucking validate.

Because they had your resume before the interview and they knew you didn't have High Yield experience, I think that they had another candidate who was better than you or they didn't like your interview.

I've gone through a lot of interviews and have been turned down. They could have just said we don't like you or we interviewed a better candidate, but that would have been harsh. I've been turned down for whatever reason, and weeks later, I still see the same job opening. You didn't waste your time, you just didn't do that well on the interview as you had hoped.

I've experienced similar things. Driving a long distance for an interview only to get turned down. I was unemployed and the cost of going there and back was on my dime. Losing a day's pay sucks too.

You never know, maybe it was a good thing that you didn't get the job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they should have gave a better reason.

My thought exactly!!!

Oh the guy in NYC is French, I'm blaming him. Fuck the French!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top