Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:03 AM EDT
Bears player accused of threatening cop
February 13, 2006
BY GARY WISBY
Chicago Sun-Times

Already on probation for a weapons conviction, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Terry "Tank" Johnson was charged Sunday with aggravated assault and resisting arrest after allegedly threatening a police officer.

"You ain't the only one with a Glock," Johnson told the officer, according to Chicago Police. "If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass."

The threat was against an officer who was ticketing a limousine illegally double parked at 1045 N. Rush at 3:45 a.m. Sunday, said Lt. Joe Schmit of the Near North District. When the officer tried to arrest Johnson, the player allegedly refused to place his hands behind his back to be handcuffed.

A struggle ensued, ending after the officer sprayed Johnson with Mace and overpowered him with the help of other officers, Schmit said. Johnson was released on a signature bond. Attempts to reach him, his agent or his attorney Sunday were unsuccessful.

On Nov. 2, Johnson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor after a loaded gun was found in his truck in Chicago. He received probation.

www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-tank13.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, but I have mine with me. Where's yours, Convict?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

On Nov. 2, Johnson pleaded guilty to amisdemeanor after a loaded gun was found in his truck in Chicago. He received probation.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If 3 professional athletes are in a car, who is driving?
Generally speaking, a Police Officer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On Nov. 2, Johnson pleaded guilty to amisdemeanor after a loaded gun was found in his truck in Chicago. He received probation.  

I wonder if we'd get off w/ a misdemeanor for the same type of conviction?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a right way and a wrong way to handle that issue, and the athlete chose the wrong way. The officer was doing his job. The limo should not have been parked there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly my question. Seeing how draconian the gun laws in Chicago are, I feel if it were just an average Joe, he'd be screwed....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
apparently he's the only athlete professional enough to carry one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#8]
"...the officer sprayed Johnson with Mace..."

What?  Mace?? - - don't they mean, PEPPER SPRAY?!!

Stupid reporters, can't get shit right no matter how many laws we pass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought guns were banned in Chicago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is a right way and a wrong way to handle that issue, and the athlete chose the wrong way. The officer was doing his job. The limo should not have been parked there.

Didnt you get the memo?

Laws dont apply to professional athletes.

Or police officers.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Would it be a misdemeanor if I was caught with a loaded gun in Chicago?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It was buckshot mace.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Unless you're a member of the city council, then you can CCW, and some even choose to unholster at meetings and wave their firearm about to make a point
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If 3 professional athletes are in a car, who is driving?
Generally speaking, a Police Officer.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, right!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was trying to be funny but, "on probation for a weapons conviction"=convict.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]
If it weren't for the fact that they are good at football/basketball, most pro atheltes would be in jail.
Just like their spiritual forbears, the galdiators.
We get more and more like Rome every day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didnt you get the memo?

Or police officers.....

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I lied, nevermind
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was buckshot mace.

or, was it Bukakke mace??
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the bears team should riot and beat up all of CPD, Id pay to watch!  Ill buy them all beer if they rape Mayor Daley also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, if you were caught with a loaded gun in a vehicle anywhere in Illinois, including Chicago, it would be a felony unless you're a police officer/military etc.

Which is total bullshit.

So he was arrested for double parking (at 3:24 AM) and having a bad attitude?

We need cameras on every cop yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, if you were caught with a loaded gun in a vehicle anywhere in Illinois, including Chicago, it would be a felony unless you're a police officer/military etc.

Which is total bullshit.

I was wrong, it's a class A misdemeanor. A second offense is a felony. My mistake. Dunno about Chicago, though. I dun live there, dun wanna.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have told a cop "Your pissant Glock won't do squat when I show up with my AR-15!!" before.

Right after he told me he would use the Glock on me in response to my saying that his first wife was without a doubt the ugliest woman I had ever seen, and that he had to be mentally retarded to marry her in the first place.

We all had a great time.

This was hanging out with cop buddies, not at a traffic stop, by the way. I wouldn't advise telling a cop what you will shoot them with while pulled over.

Your journey will end.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Mr. Terry "Tank" Johnson needs to watch the Chris Rock video about how not to get your ass kicked by the police.  

He escalated a simple parking ticket into an arrest for aggravated assault on a police officer.  He was trying to be a hardass but proved himself to be a dumbass.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is total bullshit.

Another blame the police when someone (convict) acts like a dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think the bears team should riot and beat up all of CPD, Id pay to watch!  Ill buy them all beer if they rape Mayor Daley also.

Bears would lose.  Daley is supported by the Italians.  Nobody fucks with the Italians.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems to me there was no threat.

"If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass.".......  There was a qualifier which negated the threat.  And, of course, if he were not a cop he would not be writing a ticket.

Huge egos on both sides of the badge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes if you were in the same circumstances. If it was carried on your person it'd be a felony.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mr. Terry "Tank" Johnson needs to watch the Chris Rock video about how not to get your ass kicked by the police.  

He escalated a simple parking ticket into an arrest for aggravated assault on a police officer.  He was trying to be a hardass but proved himself to be a dumbass.  

He Got Weed, He Got Weed!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass.".......  There was a qualifier which negated the threat.  And, of course, if he were not a cop he would not be writing a ticket.

He broke the law (double parking) and he was going to get fined for it, time of day has nothing to do with it.  And instead of taking his ticket like a normal human being and going about his business (probably killing someone or buying drugs, but that's beside the point also), he behaved like a thug and guess what? He got treated like a thug.  Gods, what a shock.

I'm so sick of pro athletes and hollywierd types acting as if they're God's gift to America that I just want to puke.  

The qualifier of "if it wasn't for the gun and the badge" only means that "if I catch you without the gun and the badge I WILL kick your ass".  Sounds like a threat to me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is total bullshit.

Did you even read the article?

What a moron.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The qualifier of "if it wasn't for the gun and the badge" only means that "if I catch you without the gun and the badge I WILL kick your ass".  Sounds like a threat to me.

Indeed it is.

And here's a bit of info: If you assault a cop because he is a cop or because he performed his duties against you, he is just as protected by his shield off duty as on duty, meaning that in most jurisdictions they would still nail your butt to the wall.

Cops don't suddenly become fair game when they take their uniform off.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've seen cops promptly remove the badge at that point and ask them to continue....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1

sidenote: about the previous issue - so what (who cares) if there was a loaded gun in the trunk?  just because someone decides to make a random law about it?

[/rant]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didnt you get the memo?

Or police officers.....

professional athlete trumps police officer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]
unless this asshat doubles as a limo driver when he's not playing a loser on a loser team, why would he involve himself in the matter- (even if it was his limo) he should of gotten a beatdown right away, and probably would have is he was'nt a celeb-
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He Got Weed, He Got Weed!

Shoulda Got a White Friend!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He broke the law (double parking) and he was going to get fined for it, time of day has nothing to do with it.  And instead of taking his ticket like a normal human being and going about his business (probably killing someone or buying drugs, but that's beside the point also), he behaved like a thug and guess what? He got treated like a thug.  Gods, what a shock.

I'm so sick of pro athletes and hollywierd types acting as if they're God's gift to America that I just want to puke.  

Since he is the pro athlete and the car in question is a limo, I doubt he was the one getting a ticket.

Since the gun and the badge belong to the officer 24/7 he is always a cop.  The "threat" was a qualified one and the guy was just mouthing off.

He lost on the street but will win in the courtroom with a good attorney, if it even goes that far.

Like I said, big egos on both sides of the badge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you're a member of the city council, then you can CCW, and some even choose to unholster at meetings and wave their firearm about to make a point

Do they really do that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top