Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:21:29 AM EDT
Okay so my g/f gave me a xbox 360 for V-day I got her some thing but it wasnt as nearly as expensive.
She gave it to me already as a early present ..
It was the good one too with the hard drive and wireless controllers.

Did she up the ante or should my gift that I already got her be enough?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
That depends what you got her.  A nice piece of jewlry that cost you $200.  You are probably fine.

If you got her The Dukes of Hazard on DVD, you should probably go shopping right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
buy the ring and be done with it.
thats how you are going to top it.

in her eyes
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
She wants an engagement ring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow dude.. take the 360 and dump her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
kick her to the curb.  All she is going to do is bitch about you playing the very games she bought you.  NAG NAG NAG!!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Good thing she got you a 360, cause you ain't getting any nookie

I'd up the ante personally. She could always use a thousand rouns of XM193, no?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn! XB360s are harder than hell to find, much less buy. She deserves something nice!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
What you do doesn't matter, you won't get it right, ever.

What is important is that you did something - that's all you can hope for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn! XB360s are harder than hell to find, much less buy. She deserves something nice!

Yeah she had her mom  stop by best buy everyday for a month !
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are so not getting any.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
You have to treat her right on Feb 14 so she'll treat you right when you tell her about March 14, right?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better get her something that fits on her finger, with some diamonds perhaps......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#14]
You are toast.  Unless you get her a 2 carat in platinum or a new mercedes, you will be going solo for a long long time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better get her something that fits on her finger, with some diamonds perhaps......

Depends...

...what games did she get you?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Two words, ROMEO...

DONKEY PUNCH!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Bail now.

She's cheating on you or thinking about it. She wants to create a controversy by spending way more than you, that way she can rationalize her already held belief that you don't love her enough.

This gift has the added bonus for her that she can soon say "you spend too much time playing that damn Xbox! You're ignoring me!!!"

Plan your escape, man - she already is!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man as much as an Xbox360 would be a great present Im glad its you and not me hahaha
You only have 3 options now
1) Hand over your man card to her she owns you or
2) Kick her to the curb but you may want to move and change your number and place of employment
3) Buy her the damn ring
Tour so screwed
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bail now.

She's cheating on you or thinking about it. She wants to create a controversy by spending way more than you, that way she can rationalize her already held belief that you don't love her enough.

This gift has the added bonus for her that she can soon say "you spend too much time playing that damn Xbox! You're ignoring me!!!"

WTF?!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

WTF?!

Mark my words. Give it a year, year and a half max.

She's building the drama right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

WTF?!

Bastiat...you sir are a wise, wise man.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bail now.

Some one is jaded.. J/K

We have been together for about 2 years and known each other about 4 1/2.
She lives with me and was probably tired of hearing me complain about how bad I want one

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

Some one is jaded.. J/K

She lives with me and was probably tired of hearing me complain about how bad I want one

I just know how they work.

She set up three failure points for you - and two contradict each other, so you just can't win:

Point 1: You don't spend as much as she did = you don't care enough, or as much as she does.

Point 2: You use the Xbox and it takes away from time with her. She'll never tell you about it until it's too late, though.

Point 3: You don't use the Xbox in order to spend time with her = you don't like her gift = you don't appreciate her.

Points 2 & 3 are in direct contradiction with each  other, which is how women think. No matter what you do, you can't pass this test. She's doing whatever she can to set up a 'love test' that you just can't win.

Sorry man, just trying to prepare you for what's to come. Be sure to IM me when it happens so I can see if my time frame was right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

Some one is jaded.. J/K

She set up three failure points for you - and two contradict each other, so you just can't win:

Point 1: You don't spend as much as she did = you don't care enough, or as much as she does.

Point 2: You use the Xbox and it takes away from time with her. She'll never tell you about it until it's too late, though.

Point 3: You don't use the Xbox in order to spend time with her = you don't like her gift = you don't appreciate her.

Points 2 & 3 are in direct contradiction with each  other, which is how women think. No matter what you do, you can't pass this test. She's doing whatever she can to set up a 'love test' that you just can't win.

Sorry man, just trying to prepare you for what's to come. Be sure to IM me when it happens so I can see if my time frame was right.

I am not worthy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She sounds like a good woman. Get her something nice. A pair of ear rings...something. A good woman is hard to find...and many view Valentines as THEIR day, when the gift giving goes in one direction.

Granted, it is sorta their day, but to have a woman who thinks of you, gets you a kick ass gift and all that....she deserves something nice.

Remember all the chicks in your life who never really made much of an effort? Fun, aren't they? Well you've done better for yourself....don't let it get taken for granted....and don't listen to all these jaded bitter old ARFCOM pricks.....do the right thing.

ETA: The XBOX is far from the set up for failure it's been mentioned as. She's GIVING IT TO YOU. It's not something you got for you, to tune her out with...she got it for you. That sounds like a free pass to XBOXville to me. "Ah....honey....you do remember where I got this thing, don't you?"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She sounds like a good woman. Get her something nice. A pair of ear rings...something. A good woman is hard to find...and many view Valentines as THEIR day, when the gift giving goes in one direction.

Granted, it is sorta their day, but to have a woman who thinks of you, gets you a kick ass gift and all that....she deserves something nice.

Remember all the chicks in your life who never really made much of an effort? Fun, aren't they? Well you've done better for yourself....don't let it get taken for granted....and don't listen to all these jaded bitter old ARFCOM pricks.....do the right thing.

ETA: The XBOX is far from the set up for failure it's been mentioned as. She's GIVING IT TO YOU. It's not something you got for you, to tune her out with...she got it for you. That sounds like a free pass to XBOXville to me. "Ah....honey....you do remember where I got this thing, don't you?"

Yeah she has shows she watches it seem like every night at 9-10  er, crossing jordan , I dont watch them so its usually xbox time unless I am too tired.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Two words, ROMEO...

DONKEY PUNCH!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#28]
You only have one choice now.  Buy "her" a gigantic widescreen HD TV.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You only have one choice now.  Buy "her" a gigantic widescreen HD TV.

We bought one of those last year , 46 Toshiba hdtv widescreen!

(Its a mess were in a temporary apt right now while we decide when to purchse a home)

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy her an HDTV, then you can play the xbox on her tv with her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Didn't read the post above yours.......did ya?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

already got it! see above
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Ooo lookie, my gf got me a video game.

Get her a Barbie.

Grow up.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

Some one is jaded.. J/K

christ you guys are bitter.  no wonder shit never works out for you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Sometimes, I wonder if I'm actually better off being unhitched.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#36]
She is a sneaky one....

She gave you something big EARLY so you would then have time to rethink what you got her.  By asking "Should I get her something more than I did" you are falling into her trap!!!

Personally I would step into that trap and at least even the score.

btw.  Two years, looking to buy a house?? Time to shit or get off the pot, just not tonight.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Yep, get shopping. Get her a new bag, Coach, Dooney and Burke, something like that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bail now.

Some one is jaded.. J/K

christ you guys are bitter.  no wonder shit never works out for you.

Not bitter, realistic. I tried the idealistic approach. Ignorance is only bliss for a little while.

The mistake most guys make (especially young guys) is to ascribe male thinking to the way females deal with relationships. Men think in black and white, women in plaid. They are constantly thinking about and analyzing their relationships. It's what they've been doing for millions of years while men were out hunting and gathering. It's their survival mechanism.

Men provide, women nurture. Their roles for millions of years have not included giving their men more lavish gifts than they received. Those gifts kind of gifts are reserved for their children - i.e. people dependent on them as providers. Built deep into the makeup of women is that men are supposed to be the provider - and part of that includes outdoing the women in the gift giving.

If she's destroyed that balance and doesn't see it restored, she will begin to question her man and his commitment to her.

You can't go against a million years of evolution of male / female gender roles and expect you're in the 'magical' relationship where those rules just don't apply. Because you're special n stuff. Or your wife / girlfriend is somehow 'different'. She isn't. It's built in.

I'm not saying with 100% certainty he is doomed. Perhaps, by accident, he will do something to restore his dominance and secure the relationship, at least for awhile. But the disturbance of the balance of power at this stage in the relationship could be a sign of things to come.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#39]
-

Quoted:
Ooo lookie, my gf got me a video game.

Get her a Barbie.

Grow up.

umm , so your calling a xbox 360 just a video game system?

when was the last time you you played a video game ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#40]
That depends on how much you like living in a stress free environment.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
She wants an engagement ring.

It's a trap!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ooooh, yeah, you're in trouble.  She gave it to you early so you'd know how much she spent and can adjust your gift accordingly.  Sneaky and manipulative.  

Do women (some..) do this conciously, or subconciously?

If conciously.. isn't that a.. mind game?

I've never been into the great gifts on Valentines day.. its just another day. I'd rather show my affection/love for them whenever I want to, not HAVE to do so on a selected day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, she must REALLY like you or something. You HAVE to get her something REALLY nice and REALLY thoughtful. Sucks to be you right now.
Good luck! * turns and runs away*
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Honestly, some of you guys kill me.

Any relationship I've ever been in, I always tell the female-

A.  I'm not into Christmas.  Christmas is for kids.
B.  I don't give gifts for Easter...Except a basket for the kids.
C.  Thanksgiving doesn't mean that much to me.  Don't expect me to be all into it, because I'm just not.
D.  I don't do Valentines day.  I tend to pick up a rose on the way home, or, I'll cook dinner when Mrs Goons had a crappy day, or surprise things....I won't do a pre planned Time On Target gift mission.

Frankly, if they don't like it, they can pound sand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#46]
You need to fuck her gently

In case those out there just want the directions instead of the video:

This is a song
for the ladies
but fellas... listen closely

You don't have to fuck her hard
in fact sometimes that's not right to do..
Sometimes u got to make some love
and fuckin give her some smooches too..
Sometimes you got to squeeze..
Sometiems you got to say "Please"..
Sometimes you gotta say "Hey,"
"I'm gonna fuck you.. softly"
"I'm gonna screw you gently"
"I'm gonna hump you sweetly"
"I'm gonna ball you discreetly"
and then you say "Hey, I brought you flowers"
and then you say "Wait a minute Sally,"
"I think I got sometin' in my teeth could you get it out for me?"
That's fuckin' teamwork!
What's your favorite posish?
That's cool with me, It's not my favorite but I'll do it for you.
What's your favorite dish?
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from ZANZIBAR!
And then I'm gonna love you completely
Then I'll fucking fuck you discreetly
and then I'll fuckin bone you completely
but then I'm gonna fuck... you hard.....
Hard........
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Another way to go is to let her know that the xbox was nice, but you'd have liked a couple games to go with it.  She's got a job to go to, yeah, but she's got a Pimp to pay too.  Get her a yoga DVD and tell her to work out more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#49]
You know what you have to do Cowboy.

EAT THE PIE!
even if it's a little stinky
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#50]
you had better be heading to the diamond store. not necessarily a ring but something nice.

let us know how it works out for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top