Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 8:10:02 AM EDT
Last night about 9:00pm I was going to make some BLT's. I asked my daughter if she was hungry and wanted to help make some. She declined. So I make mine and as I'm finishing up she shows up and now she wants my BLT. I told her, no. She had the opportunity to make her's while I had all the stuff out.

After I ate my BLT I started to feel guilty about not sharing. She more than had a chance to make one but was to lazy (IMO) to do so.

BTW:She had just ate supper about 6:30 pm.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#1]
no, not wrong, especially since you offered and she declined previously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Not wrong at all.

What did she expect, that you should have made a spare sammich or two, just in case she changed her mind?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
She declined.  Too bad for her!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Not wrong.

Hopefully a lesson learned.........
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You did the right  thing.
Maybe she'll learn next time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
No wrong there.  She had her chance, and it is not like she is starving anyway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife will do the same thing.  I'll get the munchies and decide to fix something.  I ask if she wants anything.  She says no.  I fix it, and then she wants some.  It drives me buggy!!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SOP for females: They don't want a sandwich, they just want a bite of your sandwich.

IE;

They want you to do the work... and they'll reap the rewards.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree its not wrong and, alike you.....I specifically ask all in range (since I am the 'cook') before I finish and start to put away things myself.  Good thing is that you still have a conscience  Can I borrow a $20?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Not under those circumstances.

Now, if she hadn't eaten in weeks and you sat down next to her and ate the whole BLT in front of her without offering her a single bite then that would be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
For me, it depends on how old she is.  If she's a teen-ager, then too bad for her.  It's she's only 6 or so, then I would feel bad.  That's just me though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not wrong.

Hopefully a lesson learned.........

Women never learn that lesson.

I have learned that if I make a late night snack, even if my wife says she doesn't want one, make 2 because she will want one just as soon as you get done.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For me, it depends on how old she is.  If she's a teen-ager, then too bad for her.  It's she's only 6 or so, then I would feel bad.  That's just me though.

She's 14.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
She declined when offered previously. Not your fault.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#17]
As her father you want to give her everything you can. Thats why you feel guilty but you did the right thing.  She said no and now is trying to manipulate you to give it to her.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's 14.

Well shit...I had pictured this little 9 year old girl or something.

Not only should she have made her own, you should have had her make yours. That's what women folk is for!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As her father you want to give her everything you can. Thats why you feel guilty but you did the right thing.  She said no and now is trying to manipulate you to give it to her.  

ETA: I was going to make a comment.. but, I'll leave it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
It's wrong not to share your food.
Next time I'm in Alabama, you and the Mrs can whip me up some of those tasty ribs you posted a while ago.

Anything to help a guy do the right thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's wrong not to share your food.
Next time I'm in Alabama, you and the Mrs can whip me up some of those tasty ribs you posted a while ago.

Anything to help a guy do the right thing.

That's fine. But you have to fix your own plate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
say what yall want; i would've caved.  not sure about the lessons learned but i'm a sucker for girls.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
You taught her a valuable lesson... that she can't have things whenever she wants.

That alone is worth the guilt.

Too many kids today think they can just have what they want when they want.  She turned down your generous offer, now she had to suffer because she changed her mind too late.

Good job!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm surprised you feel guility.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Wrong? Hell NO!

You offered , she declined then got hungry after the fact.

I'd have told her just like I tell my girls, You had your chance now you can either make your own or find something else. There are usually some kind of leftovers in the fridge that they can nuke.
My girls happen to be 13 and 15.

You didn't mention how old your daughter is. If she is really young I would probably find her something if she was really hungry, but it likely wouldn't be what she was offered before.

No Guilt here!  She ate a supper time so she won't starve...........  They gotta learn!!!!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I also learned something about sharing food in general:

I don't share my food with anyone unless I fuck them or claim them on my income taxes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm surprised you feel guility.

Does not happen often.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
She's 14.

14?! Tell her she may make her own sammich, BUT she had better clean up her mess.  I'd also reinforce that it's easier for people to share or do something for others when their in the act, so otherwise she missed out.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#29]
My 5yo little angel does this to me all the time! Sometimes I stand my ground because I want her to learn that you can't go through life waiting for,or expecting, people to take care of your needs on demand. Most of the time, I end up giving in to her because she is just so damn cute! FWIW- you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#30]
My girlfriend does that shit to me all the time and its infuriating.
The most common one is Buffalo Wild Wings, I ask her if she wants anything, of course the reply is no. so I buy the exact amount that I intend to eat, then she wants half of them. It kills me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My girlfriend does that shit to me all the time and its infuriating.
The most common one is Buffalo Wild Wings, I ask her if she wants anything, of course the reply is no. so I buy the exact amount that I intend to eat, then she wants half of them. It kills me.

My fries. My wife doesn't want her own fries, she want's 3/4 of mine. I can't eat them anymore but back in college I used to have to buy two big fries because she'd eat half of them or better. She still doesn't weigh over 114 so I can't complain too much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Joey doesn't share food.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#33]
My daughter does pretty much the same thing. We have told repeatedly that if you want supper, show up at supper time. Otherwise, you don't eat.
Sure as shit she shows up just past supper when the kitchen has been cleaned, wondering where her food is. We always tell her she is free to make something to eat but that we are done eating and she is on her own. Pisses her off but she was warned.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Sally Struthers says that for 25 cents a day you can feed a starving child, but for a buck fifty she'll eat a starving child.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#35]
You offered, she declined, you have nothing to be guilty about.

My Aunt was this way. Go out to eat and get what you wanted and offer to get hers. She refuses then wants some of yours. She would take it right off you plate until the day I offered, she declined, I came back to the table and she decided she wanted to "try" something, reached to take what she wanted off my plate, and I slapped her hand and told her not to do that again. I was waiting for the riot act from my Dad but it never came as I guess he was sick and tired of her doing it to him. Took a while before she would talk to me tho. I thought it was disgusting myself.

At 14, your daughter should be able to cook what she wants herself anyways. If she is to lazy to cook it or clean up afterwards, let her go hungry. Maybe next time she will "think" a bit more before she says no when you are so gracious to offer. Or, maybe next time make HER cook for you, and have her learn about navigating around a kitchen. It will come in handy later in life for her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell, with my daughters, I'd have handed the Sandwich to them.

Just before (or after, depending on my mood) they took a bite, I'd say:

"I wasn't going to eat it anyway after I sneezed on it".

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's 14.

Well shit...I had pictured this little 9 year old girl or something.

Not only should she have made her own, you should have had her make yours. That's what women folk is for!!!

I was thinking much younger also.  She is old enough to go prepare her own sandwich if she changed her mind.

OMG, that is what my daughter's future mother-in-law told her yesterday.  Boy was my daughter pissed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top