Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:07:31 PM EDT
Just opened my bill for this month and noticed an insert titled 'New rates for DirecTV Service'.

With locals, the Total Choice package will now be $44.99. Without locals, $41.99. That's a $4 increase for those without locals.

We've had them at work for over 5 years, I think this is the fourth or fifth increase in that time period. I remember paying around $15 a month when we first got it (bill is split two ways), now I'm paying $22.50 a month and after this increase I'll be paying $25 a month.

Guess it's time to check on prices for Dish Network.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
Sat and cable both will raise there rates. There basically wholesellers for the networks.. Networks raise there prices so will sat and cable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
You will not find a better deal anywhere else

Dish, Direct TV and your local Cable company all take turns raising rates and then turn around and say look at how high the other guy cost as soon as the dust settles.

If Direct TV raised your rates look around the other guy either has or soon will also.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:13:36 PM EDT
After you go to DISH you will pull the whole thing out and throw it away.

I got so fed up I just pulled the plug.

NO, no +1000 times no.

rant off. sorry
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:15:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigRedDog:

NO, no +1000 times no.

rant off. sorry

I love Dish.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:54 PM EDT
So does DISH work the same way as DirecTV? Meaning I buy the dish and receiver from a local retailer and install it myself?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 6:32:59 PM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I work for my cable company, so I get half off.

But the prices have been increasing. The broadcasters raise their prices, and we have to raise our rates too. I think we almost made ESPN a premium channel the last time they raised their price. I hear rumblings here and there about laws making the cable companies let customers pick their channels a-la-carte. From a computer programming standpoint, which is what I do there, it would involve a big change.

It would be interesting to see what would happen. I think the popular channels basically function to subsidize the less popular ones. If people could choose their own channels, and the providers got paid by the number of customers who chose to receive their channel, some of them would not draw enough people choosing to pay for them to continue operating. For example, even though I switch over to C-SPAN occasionally if something I'm really interested in is going on in Congress, I'm not going to choose to pay $X per month just to have it available. Neither are 99% of cable customers. I imagine the smaller-draw channels like Home Shopping and Turner Classic Movies would cost less than the biggies like ESPN, MTV, and Nickelodeon. I'd be curious to see how much it'd cost me to get the channels I watch most often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
So does DISH work the same way as DirecTV? Meaning I buy the dish and receiver from a local retailer and install it myself?

It can be done yes. But its getting harder and harder to be able to do it yourself now-a-days. Stick with Direct if they have been good. Dish goes up just like them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:17 PM EDT
DISH has better programming options from what I see on their site. Hell, all DirecTV has anymore is the Total Choice package.

I can save around $10-15 a month by switching to DISH, plus get local channels (we currently don't get locals, just FOX, ABC, and CBS out of NYC).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:26:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:33:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:39:51 PM EDT
I pay $135.00 a month for directv, but thats for 5 receivers, and i can take it any were I go........I also subscribe to my local utility company for my local channels 2-13 for about ten dollars a month.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:45:04 PM EDT

DISH has better programming options from what I see on their site. Hell, all DirecTV has anymore is the Total Choice package.

I can save around $10-15 a month by switching to DISH, plus get local channels (we currently don't get locals, just FOX, ABC, and CBS out of NYC).

OH BOY now you can get WKPT.

DISH has better programming options and is always a few dollars cheaper that DirecTV.

Dish just has a rate increase as well… I believe the rate increase was $3 on the 180 package… Dish on average is going up about 1/2 to 2/3 as fast as cable I was getting 2 annual increases amounting to around 14% a year with Charter Cable.

Dish is now leasing the equipment so you don’t own it… but this has an advantage if something breaks. Dish has receivers that can service 2 rooms which saves you on additional receiver fees.

IMPORTANT BEFORE YOU BUY… If you have Sprint telephone you can bundle your DISH billing with your Sprint billing and get and additional $5/month discount. Call Sprint for details.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:54:54 PM EDT
Stop paying a monthly fee for crap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:54:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

OH BOY now you can get WKPT.

I already get WKPT at home.

Worst broadcast quality of the 4 networks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:57:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
I can answer any DTV, and most Dish questions.

-Troy

OK, how hard is it to do a self-install of the multi-satellite DTV dish?

With the changeover on 3/1, I'm ready to upgrade our equipment since it is so old. Locals would be a big plus for us here at work. And I don't want to do a professional install for reasons I won't go into.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:00:22 PM EDT
I'm happy with dish.

DishHD Gold = ownage.

Lots cheaper than cable, more and better programming than directv or cable.

The only problem with DISH has been their shitty STBs, but I am really happy with my new MPEG-4 STB, so maybe they finally got the idea.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:03:22 PM EDT

-Troy

With the changeover on 3/1, I'm ready to upgrade our equipment since it is so old. Locals would be a big plus for us here at work. And I don't want to do a professional install for reasons I won't go into.

no different than a regular one if the dish has multiple LNBs
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:59:51 AM EDT

-Troy

Don't want to go to the trouble of moving the dead bodies and crack lab, huh?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:41:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Don't want to go to the trouble of moving the dead bodies and crack lab, huh?

You got me...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:45:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Originally Posted By BigRedDog:

NO, no +1000 times no.

rant off. sorry

I love Dish.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:55:33 PM EDT
I drive a truck long-haul, and I have Dish on the truck. I have to aim the dish every time I want to watch TV.

It was a royal bitch to find the signal the first time. With practice it became easy.
Top Top