Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2006 1:41:14 PM EDT
A piece of paper with a glue back and about the size of a quarter. And they can cost hundreds of dollars (thousands if you are crazy enough).

When I was growing up it was rather high brow to collect stamps, coins, etc. Coins I can understand (even ones from ancient Rome still survive) but stamps are impossibly fragile. I can't imagine spending more than a dollar for something that can be destroyed by water or easily torn.

While I can see where collecting stamps could be interesting (especially noteworth or vintage examples) I think they are an incredibly risky investment.

Here's a set on ebay for $2,350.00  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canada-1928-29-Scroll-Imperf-Pair-Set-Rare_W0QQitemZ5666352854QQcategoryZ3480QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another set that is currently at $565.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Powerful-US-Collection_W0QQitemZ5666343489QQcategoryZ683QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And a single 10 cent stamp for $999.99  

http://cgi.ebay.com/96-10c-Washington-VF-NH-w-APS-Cert-GEM-Cat-3500-NR_W0QQitemZ5666060253QQcategoryZ676QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unreal.

ETA: I'm talking ONLY about people who are big money collectors ($100 or more for a stamps). Guys who collect stamps for fun with little investment are NOT the people I am talking about.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Not if they are class 3's
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't criticize others choices of hobbies; they should criticize mine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I refuse to read anything thet requires scrolling back and forth.

Beyond my control.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not if they are class 3's

At least people will pay for stamp collections.  My grandmother collects salt and pepper shakers.  I think that is much worse than stamps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#6]
As part of a tradition I've received a USPS book of collectors stamps every year for my birthday since 1985.

Some people would say it's idiotic to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a few guns.....

Why criticize other hobbies? To each his own.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Is There Anything Dumber Than Collecting Stamps...?  

playing golf?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I have a small modest stamp collection that started about 35 years ago.  I got started because my older cousin got interested in it and started a collection so I started one too.  To date I have about $800 invested in it mostly in Air Mail stamps from around the world but the collection is worth about $20K - 30K.  

Dumb? Maybe but I'm getting a decent return on my investment... better than I have done with my guns.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
at least stamps don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A buddy of mine paid his way through college (BS from Rice, Masters from Texas) by trading/selling stamps and baseball cards.  Different strokes for different folks...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The government is rich enough ... why do collectors throw the USPS billions of dollars every year for stamps they will never use?  It's a windfall for the government.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My late Father collected stamps. Are you implying that he was some kind of idiot?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As part of a tradition I've received a USPS book of collectors stamps every year for my birthday since 1985.

Some people would say it's idiotic to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a few guns.....

+1.  Its the same antigun mentality.  They dont want us to collect guns either.  How does stamp collecting hurt anyone?   The fact that they are fragile and rare is what makes them so valuable.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As I stated in my original post...

"While I can see where collecting stamps could be interesting (especially noteworth or vintage examples) I think they are an incredibly risky investment."

I just don't understand why anyone would collect something so fragile and vulnerable. It's like collecting eggshells or kleenex. I can't see spending thousands of bucks on something that could be wiped out by a spilled glass of water.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My late Father collected stamps. Are you implying that he was some kind of idiot?

Well why don't you re read my post and find out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And I bet he enjoyed them and spent countless hours searching and talking to his buddies about them.  I dont understand this better then thou attitude.  How does stamp collecting hurt anyone?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone will pay $30k for a class III M60.  Some would think that was stupid.  But to each its own.   I bet it costs less then $500 in parts to make that M60.

Is a Vector UZI worth $6-7k?  To some yes to others its a waste of money.

Its their money and they can spend it like they want.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I bet he enjoyed them and spent countless hours searching and talking to his buddies about them.  I dont understand this better then thou attitude.  How does stamp collecting hurt anyone?

Steyr AUG owns too many HKs, he's developed that same snobbish attitude.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Its the same antigun mentality.  They dont want us to collect guns either.  How does stamp collecting hurt anyone?   The fact that they are fragile and rare is what makes them so valuable.  

That is NOT what I said. I'm not saying anyone should NOT be allowed to do what they want.

Only your last sentence addresses the issue I raised. And while it certainly DOES make them rare (I personally find the fact that 100 year old stamps still even exist to be amazing) it also makes them an INCREIDIBLY RISKY investment. And I have to wonder how wise it is to collect something that can accidentally be torn or destroyed with minimal effort.

I just can't imagine spending $1,000 on what is essentially a piece of paper with some glue on the back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"While I can see where collecting stamps could be interesting (especially noteworth or vintage examples) I think they are an incredibly risky investment."

I just don't understand why anyone would collect something so fragile and vulnerable. It's like collecting eggshells or kleenex. I can't see spending thousands of bucks on something that could be wiped out by a spilled glass of water.

And how are NFA weapons not fragile and valuable? If the feds completely ban all full-autos from existence and start confiscation, where has your investment gotten you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't collect stamps. But I dont judge people who do.

There are people who say I am crazy for having alot of guns and over 10,000 rounds of ammo.

Hell, my wife collects baskets.

If it gives you pleasure, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Reading this post.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is NOT what I said. I'm not saying anyone should NOT be allowed to do what they want.

Only your last sentence addresses the issue I raised. And while it certainly DOES make them rare (I personally find the fact that 100 year old stamps still even exist to be amazing) it also makes them an INCREIDIBLY RISKY investment. And I have to wonder how wise it is to collect something that can accidentally be torn or destroyed with minimal effort.

I just can't imagine spending $1,000 on what is essentially a piece of paper with some glue on the back.[/red

And many people can't imagine spending in excess of $12,000 on what is essentially a collection of metal and plastic, with that special piece of 78 cent metal making the entire item worth as much as it is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Lets see, I have 101 stamps in a stamp book. I have $12000 invested. Sold the entire book for $24,440. Emmmm, does that sound like collecting stamps seems dumb
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steyr AUG owns too many HKs, he's developed that same snobbish attitude.....

If I was "snobbish" I'd completely understand why people collect stamps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

collecting STDs
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how are NFA weapons not fragile and valuable? If the feds completely ban all full-autos from existence and start confiscation, where has your investment gotten you?

They dont even have to ban them.  Just the fact there are a LIMITED number makes them so valuable. Then there are the speculators that think that they will be banned and buy them at inflated prices driving the costs up.

A sear will only be repairable so many times.  Its a low wear part but I have seen them break.  Not to mention any mechanical device will eventually wear out.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

collecting STDs

Aint that the truth. Unfortunately you cant sell some of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
So what?
Harmless enough.

Sure not like some 55 year old man collecting little kids.
Not near as bad as drowning all 5 of your offspring.
And much more harmless than aborting 3 of you children.
Some people dedicate their lives to removing the 2nd Amendment.
Others to shooting your dog.

There are plenty of things that seem pointless to others.
My wife collects Precious Moments. And my buying them for her sure seems to make her happy. Not what I would do but plenty don't like me hiking around in the Forest armed and plinking. Or my hunting animals for food.  Fuck 'em.

Bad post SA. And your's are usually pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read your post...I also read your thread tag-line. "Is there anything dumber than collecting stamps?"

Pepole collect all kinds of fragile things. China, Art, Photography, Hummel Figurines, etc.. Most people don't put themselves in the position of spilling liquids on their papers and valuables. When is the last time you spilled something on your checkbook, or a form 4?

Now that I think about it....aren't you pretty big into stamps too? You know...the kind attached to a form 4?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

And many people can't imagine spending in excess of $12,000 on what is essentially a collection of metal and plastic, with that special piece of 78 cent metal making the entire item worth as much as it is.

OK, I'll try it again.

I can take a $12,000 MP5 and toss it in the pool. I can then clean it and it is STILL worth $12,000.

I can take a stamp collection worth $10,000 and throw it is the same pool and conpletely destroy it's value.

I'm NOT saying people who find stamps ineresting are like people who collect beanie babies. But at least Beanie Babies cannot be wiped out with a glass of water.

I guess that is the point I tried to make in my original post.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]
<-------------

This thread isn't exactly going as expected...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

collecting STDs

B.S.  CHECK OUT MLK BOULEVARD IN PORTLAND, THEY'RE SELLIN IT ALL OVER THE PLACE!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a dude in college on my floor in West Quad.  His father paid for his college from out of state by liquidating his stamp collection.  That dude lived high on the hog from those stamps while I had to survive on financial aid.

His father did get devastated though in 87 when the stock market went bust.  All them stamps got sold then.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Collecting mushrooms?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a bunch of stamps from when I was a kid, I need to go through them.  Maybe they are worth something.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

collecting STDs

B.S.  CHECK OUT MLK BOULEVARD IN PORTLAND, THEY'RE SELLIN IT ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Thats not what I am saying.  I am saying you cant get rid of herpes or AIDs.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Saving your farts in a jar?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh Well, everyone has some kind of hobby. I work for a railroad and see guys and girls taking pictures of trains all day long. Some of the guys I work with think its about as dumb a thing that you can do but as I said, everyone has some kind of hobby. Whatever you do for a hobby or enjoyment is bound to be called stupid or dumb by someone. As long as you don't bother someone else or in my case, stay off the tracks, I say  knock yourself out and enjoy yourself
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So what?
Harmless enough.

My wife collects Precious Moments. And my buying them for her sure seems to make her happy. Not what I would do but plenty don't like me hiking around in the Forest armed and plinking. Or my hunting animals for food.  Fuck 'em.

[Sigh]

Please show me the part where I said people SHOULDN'T be allowed to collect stamps, beanie babies or anything else. Please show me where I said it was DANGEROUS (ie not harmless).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I was an avid stamp/coin/paper money collector as a kid.

It's nothing extravagant, but I still have my collection and I'm quite proud of it.  At least proud enough to have part of it in my gun safe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what?
Harmless enough.

[Sigh]

Please show me the part where I said people SHOULDN'T be allowed to collect stamps, beanie babies or anything else. Please show me where I said it was DANGEROUS (ie not harmless).

I think the problem most people are having is that you are making a judgment on stamp collecting and nothing more.  You are looking down on their activity.

Many people collect many different things.  As long as no one gets hurt, so what.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'll try it again.

I can take a $12,000 MP5 and toss it in the pool. I can then clean it and it is STILL worth $12,000.

I can take a stamp collection worth $10,000 and throw it is the same pool and conpletely destroy it's value.

I'm NOT saying people who find stamps ineresting are like people who collect beanie babies. But at least Beanie Babies cannot be wiped out with a glass of water.

So one is a more fragile investment than the other (which is still debateable), does that automatically make it dumb to collect stamps?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm very disappointed in the contents of this thread.

I fully expected to open it and find numerous .jpgs of Steyr Aug's personal collection of $200 stamps.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm very disappointed in the contents of this thread.

I fully expected to open it and find numerous .jpgs of Steyr Aug's personal collection of $200 stamps.

But......but.....his stamps are better and smart to collect! It's only the lesser folk who collect mailing stamps that are dumb .
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'll try it again.

So one is a more fragile investment than the other (which is still debateable), does that automatically make it dumb to collect stamps?

dude its a fucking opinion
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
<-------------

This thread isn't exactly going as expected...

DITTO...

See my previous response.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read your post...I also read your thread tag-line. "Is there anything dumber than collecting stamps?"

Pepole collect all kinds of fragile things. China, Art, Photography, Hummel Figurines, etc.. Most people don't put themselves in the position of spilling liquids on their papers and valuables. When is the last time you spilled something on your checkbook, or a form 4?

Now that I think about it....aren't you pretty big into stamps too? You know...the kind attached to a form 4?

If a person ONLY read the title "Is there anything dumber than collecting stamps?" then I could see how a person might arrive at that conclusion. That is why I further posted and elaborated the idea I was presenting, specifically this statement:

And I would find anyone who collects things just as fragile in the same price range to be equally as unwise.

And this is because I HAVE spilled Coke on my checkbook (which is why I'd never collect hundred dollar checkbooks) and the Form 4 is a necessary evil which NEVER comes out of the safe. I take laminated photo copies to the range.

I guess my point is this, it is extremely RISKY to me to collect ANYTHING that fragile in that price range. they could be easily destroyed simply by putting them in a collectible book.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'll try it again.

dude its a fucking opinion

No shit!!  What's dumber than collecting stamps is getting all bent out of shape when someone on the internet says they think stamp collecting is dumb.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top