Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 10:23:35 AM EDT
I have a Dell laptop computer running XP home. It had 256 megs of RAM. Someone told me that XP will run better with more than 256 megs of RAM, so I looked on eBay.

I bid on a 128 meg memory module. There were no other bidders, so I got the module for the starting bid of $1.99 plus $4 shipping.

How can you beat that?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:32:55 AM EDT
not to highjack your thread ,is there anyway you can tell what kind of memory you need without opening the case?
dektop
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT
Will the module you bought fit? Is is it the right configuration for your particular Dell?

Can you use a 128 along with the current 256? Sometimes mis-matched memory isn't allowed (or will actually slow the machine down). That's totally dependant on your machine make and model.

While you will probably notice an improvement, 384 isn't a whole lot for XP, especially if you're doing more than surfing.

My PowerBook came with 512 and was OK. Going to 2GB means I can run tons of stuff concurrently without taking a speed hit.

For XP 1GB is a sweet spot. More than that isn't going to be noticed unless you're really beating the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:47:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Will the module you bought fit? Is is it the right configuration for your particular Dell? Yup, bought it, installed it, and it works.

Can you use a 128 along with the current 256? Sometimes mis-matched memory isn't allowed (or will actually slow the machine down). That's totally dependant on your machine make and model.It is allowed on this laptop...on my desktop (Dell XPS 400) both modules must be identical, however. 384 megs was one configuration offered by the factory on this laptop

While you will probably notice an improvement, 384 isn't a whole lot for XP, especially if you're doing more than surfing. Yeah, I know it's not much, but I mostly just surf on the laptop...but for 6 bucks I said 'how can I go wrong'

My PowerBook came with 512 and was OK. Going to 2GB means I can run tons of stuff concurrently without taking a speed hit. My desktop currently has 512...I want to upgrade to 2GB, but it will cost more cuz I have to replace both modules

For XP 1GB is a sweet spot. More than that isn't going to be noticed unless you're really beating the crap out of it. Good to know, maybe I'll put 1GB in the XPS. BTW the laptop is a Inspiron 5150.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

My PowerBook came with 512 and was OK. Going to 2GB means I can run tons of stuff concurrently without taking a speed hit. My desktop currently has 512...I want to upgrade to 2GB, but it will cost more cuz I have to replace both modules

For XP 1GB is a sweet spot. More than that isn't going to be noticed unless you're really beating the crap out of it. Good to know, maybe I'll put 1GB in the XPS. BTW the laptop is a Inspiron 5150.

You are going to have to buy at least 2 sticks anyway to go from 512 to 2 gigs. I'm guessing you don't have 4 ramslots, so to get up to at least 2 gigs you are going to have to buy 2 1gig sticks regardless. It just means you'll have 2 gigs instead of 2.5 (or if you have 3 slots you can do 1.5 gigs and not 2). So really, it is a non-issue, sell the 512 stick for $20 somewhere and pay for part of your upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
Mine came with 512 mb, I upped it to a full gig. No, 256 mb is not enough for XP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spudgunr:

You are going to have to buy at least 2 sticks anyway to go from 512 to 2 gigs. I'm guessing you don't have 4 ramslots, so to get up to at least 2 gigs you are going to have to buy 2 1gig sticks regardless. It just means you'll have 2 gigs instead of 2.5 (or if you have 3 slots you can do 1.5 gigs and not 2). So really, it is a non-issue, sell the 512 stick for $20 somewhere and pay for part of your upgrade.

The XPS desktop has 2 X 256 modules because both modules have to be identical. To get to 1 GB I have to buy 2 X 512. The only way to increase RAM in my desktop is to buy 2 more identical modules.. you are right, it has 2 slots, to get 2 GB I have to buy 2 x 1GB.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:39:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
Mine came with 512 mb, I upped it to a full gig. No, 256 mb is not enough for XP.

This laptop ran OK with 256 mb, but I think it is a little faster with more. I first noticed it when shutting it down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:22:55 PM EDT
I have a Toshiba with XP and only 512 megs RAM, but I can't put more in it because I have a few really old -Win98 programs I like to use--and they won't run on a PC with more than 512 megs of RAM.

Laptops are usually a lot slower than desktops anyway, just because of their lower-RPM hard drives. You gotta pay the $200 for a 7400-RPM drive to get a blazin' laptop.
~
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:24:19 PM EDT
I have got 1.5gb in my Acer laptop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:58:56 PM EDT

The XPS desktop has 2 X 256 modules because both modules have to be identical. To get to 1 GB I have to buy 2 X 512. The only way to increase RAM in my desktop is to buy 2 more identical modules.. you are right, it has 2 slots, to get 2 GB I have to buy 2 x 1GB.

I was looking at ram the other night just to see how much it might cost to upgrade my older machine to 512 (it's motherboard's max amount). I ran across a guy named "newcreationdave" who sells memory and whose descriptions say he will buy memory that you swap out. It says to email him for a quote on the memory you'll be taking out.

And no, I'm no relation to the guy.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:00:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:
I have a Toshiba with XP and only 512 megs RAM, but I can't put more in it because I have a few really old -Win98 programs I like to use--and they won't run on a PC with more than 512 megs of RAM.

Really? I haven't run into any programs that won't run on my gig machine yet. If I may ask, what programs choke on the high mem machines?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:29:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
Really? I haven't run into any programs that won't run on my gig machine yet. If I may ask, what programs choke on the high mem machines?

....One I know right off is Macromedia Fontographer. A few people have managed to get it to run on >512-meg setups, but most can't and Macromedia stopped updating it years ago. .....Another program is one for loading songs onto an ancient MP3 player I still have.

The others I can't recall right off, haven't had to use (or install) them yet. There's not more than a half-dozen at most, and they are all from the Win98 era, nothing current.
~
Top Top