Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:21:00 AM EDT
I was watching one of the shooting shows on TV and it had an episode about the old remmington and winchester rifles and stuff being reproduced in italy. There is a "gun valley" in italy and the craftsman are so good you can't tell the reproductions from the origionals except for the stamp. And they are made with better tolerances due to modern techniques so they will even work better.

I kept thinking how sad it was that we can't even make our own reproductions in this country. I didn't know Italy was so "trigger happy" that they had a "gun valley".

Also, what's the deal with the guns companies in countries where people cannot even own a gun, like rossie for instance.

You would think gun craftsman would be in this country, it's been a family tradition in some of these italian families for generations.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
there are people who make reproductions here. and the "gun valley" of Italy has been making firearms for centuries, its in their blood.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:25:30 AM EDT
I have a Pedersoli made Sharps 1874 Heavy Target rifle. It is very nicely made.

There are a few American companies making Sharps rifles today, that might be a bit better in the quality and finish departments, but not many companies making a lot of the other stuff that Pedersoli makes.

I think it's hella cool that some company is reproducing older firearms.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:27:50 AM EDT
Gun making has a very long tradition in Italy. They were making guns in Italy long before Columbus sailed.

Berretta is the oldest continuing business operation anywhere, just short of 500 years making guns.

Making cowboy guns in Italy dates back to the Spaghetti Western days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:30:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
About Uberti

The heritage of the Old West is the birthright of every American, and a source of fascination to people from other lands. It’s perhaps ironic, but an armsmaker in the mountains of Northern Italy has done more than any other firearms manufacturer to preserve America’s Old West heritage.

A. Uberti, Srl. was founded in 1959. Its first guns were cap-and-ball revolvers that were used in centennial reenactments of the Civil War. In the 44 years since, its product line has expanded from percussion revolvers to cartridge revolvers, single-shot and lever-action rifles, and even miniature arms.

When you select an Uberti revolver or rifle, you’ll be getting the best of a four-decade transatlantic partnership: classic American design combined with fine Italian craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:33:07 AM EDT
Affirmative action and equal rights have put an end to American traditions and craftsmanship. There is much more to passing on traditional skills than can be taught in a classroom between 8 am and 5 pm. Your pretty much have to live it and breathe it for a decade or more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:33:30 AM EDT
I don't care. I don't subscribe to this "buy American or don't buy" bullshit. If a foreign company makes a better product than an American company, buy the foreign product. Hopefully, it'll even get the Americans to work harder and make products that can actually compete instead of having to be artificially given a head start on the domestic market.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:48:52 AM EDT
some of the best guns in the world come out of the Brescia valley, especially high end sporting shotguns. it would amaze you what some of these makers still do by hand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:54:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
I have a Pedersoli made Sharps 1874 Heavy Target rifle. It is very nicely made.

You sir are my hero
Top Top