Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:30:16 AM EDT
Got called out on a "gas leak" call [neighboring house]. Arrive and check out the gas meter and surrounding area. No gas, but no one is home and the last tenents left cause the LLD would not fix anything. Walk around the house checking the windows and doors for gas and I see that the back door plexiglass has been punched and a lit candle is sitting on the range. Get gas reads at the broken window so call the PD. They show up, go inside and clear the house [empty] so I go in and put out the candle and shut off the 4 unlit burners that were on high. The pilots had been put out. Lots of gas inside but not at a LEL level yet, as natural gas rises so as to fill the upstairs first, then to the lower levels. Checked out the other appliances, wtr htr "OK" but furnace was a POS that was probably dead as someone had tried to light it with wads of paper. [NOT a good thing to do] Killed the power and gas and locked off both so it can't be tried again.

Guess the LLD must have watched an action movie and had no idea of how natural gas works. I'll bet he'll be surprised when he is contacted by the PD/ FD and questioned. Remember kiddos, real life ain't the movies and if the house blew, the arson inspectors would easily see 4 burners left on and candle remains. [PS, I hope every pipe in the house bursts cause he'll be outta luck getting a payoff on that as I documented the inop/defective furnace.]


Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:36:00 AM EDT
*furiously takes notes*
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:36:20 AM EDT
I think I would have pulled and locked the meters first. Put out the candle second. Then continued with the rest.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:48:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By j3_:
I think I would have pulled and locked the meters first. Put out the candle second. Then continued with the rest.



Negatory. Take reads, if above 15% gas or below 5% gas, it will not ignite, [very predictable] no light switches, doorbells, etc are to be touched. If reads are high, you take a read at the ELECTRIC meter first, then pull it. You do NOT turn off the gas first as most people think. Once you have the electric meter off, you can then shut off the gas meter. You always want to eliminate any sources of ignition before you change the gas level or air the house out.

Thats why the utility company tells you to leave the house if you call in that you smell gas. Really would suck for your house to be at 25% gas, [thats a LOT of gas] and for you to "air" the house out down to 15% at which point your house goes up in flames. [BTW, your house would REEK at even 1% gas]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 3:02:03 AM EDT by j3_]

They show up, go inside and clear the house


So they go in and wander around down and upstairs

as natural gas rises so as to fill the upstairs first,
before the readings are taken. And clear the house not knowing the air content with the gas still on at the stove and a candle burning?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:07:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By j3_:

They show up, go inside and clear the house


So they go in and wander around down and upstairs

as natural gas rises so as to fill the upstairs first,
before the readings are taken. And clear the house not knowing the air content with the gas still on at the stove and a candle burning?



I had already checked gas in the house, it was in the 6% LEL level. [thats 6% of 1% gas] Plenty safe. Old house, no insulation, crappy windows, lots of drafts and places for the gas to vent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:17:35 AM EDT
So, what your saying, is if we want to blow something up with gas we need to..................






j/k
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:21:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
So, what your saying, is if we want to blow something up with gas we need to..................






j/k



Realize that it ain't as easy as the movies show it to be. Now propane OTOH, is some nasty crap as it is heavier then air and builds from the ground up. Or use gasoline, MUCH worse. Either way, one will almost always leave some kind of evidence at the scene.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:48:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
a lit candle is sitting on the range.

4 unlit burners that were on high.

Remember kiddos, real life ain't the movies and if the house blew, the arson inspectors would easily see 4 burners left on and candle remains.



Anybody who knows anything knows not to do it like that...
I guess the guy did'nt catch that episode of CSI.

Oh well, now someones goin' to jail for this... I hope?
Hard to believe just how stupid, people really can be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:09:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
So, what your saying, is if we want to blow something up with gas we need to..................






j/k



... put the candle in the upper floors.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:12:00 AM EDT
why couldn't you at least put out the candle? carry a fire ext? or super soaker 5000?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:40:59 AM EDT
[Slight hijack]

I remember being told not to use the phone to call the gas company if I smell gas.
The reason given was that the current used for the telephone could cause a spark and ignite the gas.
Is this true

[Slight hijack]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:57:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
So, what your saying, is if we want to blow something up with gas we need to..................






j/k



Realize that it ain't as easy as the movies show it to be. Now propane OTOH, is some nasty crap as it is heavier then air and builds from the ground up. Or use gasoline, MUCH worse. Either way, one will almost always leave some kind of evidence at the scene.



Nitromethane
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:41:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ATNT:
[Slight hijack]

I remember being told not to use the phone to call the gas company if I smell gas.
The reason given was that the current used for the telephone could cause a spark and ignite the gas.
Is this true

[Slight hijack]



It COULD be a possibility, but then, static electricity is enough also. Light switches, motors, pilots, vacumns, DOORBELLS [never ring the doorbell is a good idea to follow.] or anything that makes or breaks an electrical contact is what one should strive to do.

Don't try to vacumn out the inside of the furnace without shutting off the gas to it first, it WILL wake your ass up ASAP when the vacumn pulls in the gas when the valve opens.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:15:27 AM EDT
Top Top