Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 1:55:50 AM EDT
The cameras at traffic lights, are they timed to catch scofflaws or people that are one second late?

I notice that when I go under a light one second after it changes to red that there is almost always
someone in my rearview mirror two or three car lengths back clearly running the light
(I am through the intersection when I pass under the light turning red, they are entering it)

I am wondering if the cameras will be timed to catch those asshats clearly not driving safe, or both of us
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
They catch the ones running green lights.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They catch the ones running green lights.

Of course
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Nobody knows the meaning of the "yellow" light anymore. I continually see car after car passing through the innersections AFTER the light turns red. People think, "Hey if he slipped through then so can I." and it goes on like that for 4-5 cars back. It's the norm now to sit at YOUR GREEN light and have to wait for asshats to pass through their RED.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nobody knows the meaning of the "yellow" light anymore. I continually see car after car passing through the innersections AFTER the light turns red. People think, "Hey if he slipped through then so can I." and it goes on like that for 4-5 cars back. It's the norm now to sit at YOUR GREEN light and have to wait for asshats to pass through their RED.

Green means go. Period. And by God I GO. I'll happily sue your ass into oblivion if you hit me running a red. Sorry, didnt see you, I was watching the light and saw it turn green......No idea there was still traffic moving through the light.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]
They are setup as a money making operation.

That's all
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The thing about hitting someone cause they ran the red light is you very well may may not win that battle in court... Seen it happen.. Total BS of course, but it happens.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's all

another tax....+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I almost got into an accident the first time I saw one of those get someone. It was dark and with all the strobe lights and the flashy things I was confused for a second could crashed. That would not have been good for the lovely young ladies head that was in my lap
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The thing about hitting someone cause they ran the red light is you very well may may not win that battle in court be dead... Seen it happen.. Total BS of course, but it happens.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The thing about hitting someone cause they ran the red light is you very well may may not win that battle in court be dead... Seen it happen.. Total BS of course, but it happens.

Fixed.

That to...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The thing about hitting someone cause they ran the red light is you very well may may not win that battle in court... Seen it happen.. Total BS of course, but it happens.

The secret is to get them to hit you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The cameras at traffic lights, are they timed to catch scofflaws or people that are one second late?

I notice that when I go under a light one second after it changes to red that there is almost always
someone in my rearview mirror two or three car lengths back clearly running the light
(I am through the intersection when I pass under the light turning red, they are entering it)

I am wondering if the cameras will be timed to catch those asshats clearly not driving safe, or both of us

It's set for anyone who runs the red light, period. I see what you mean, though. Some people BLATANTLY blow through a solid red light.

My sister recently was involved in an accident regarding this. She was waiting to turn left at an intersection, and when it turned red, she "thought" everyone was done road-raging through. She turned, and got hit HARD by an SUV.

Turns out the Escalade was driven by a 16-year old girl. I wonder where she learned to do that. I'm sure  she does that all the time because that's how her parents drive.

I know, my sister should have waited until ALL cars had stopped. But, still...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I watched an intersection light yesterday while stopped for red.  I could see a reflection move inside the outer lens cover, but couldn't tell if the camera was moving to scan both lanes or exactly what the unit was doing.  I gave it a big ol' middle finger salute for authority anyway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's all

+1000

Max
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
A red light prohibits entering the intersection. A green light does not. A yellow light does not. Anyone who enters an intersection under a green or yellow light has the right-of-way over other vehicles until he leaves the intersection. This is why people who are not retarded and wish to make a left turn in a busy intersection pull into the center of the intersection on the green light and complete the turn after the light goes red, stopping the oncoming traffic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#17]
There is also a big scandle about lights being retimed, reducing the yellow time, so that more revenue can be made from the "red light cameras".  

This has resulted in more accidents from the reduces yellow time.  

The cameras are NOT about safety, they are about making money.

The cameras are not even owned by the local governments.  They are placed by private companies who get a cut of the action.  They take the picture, mail the ticket, and in turn get a cut of the action.

The local governments like it, it's like free money to them.  The companies that place the red light cameras like it, because they collect by pretending that it is all the local government doing it.

The only people hurt by red light cameras are those involved in accidents because of insufficient yellow light duration.  

But who cares as long as money is to be made.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
ONLY MORONS RUN RED LIGHTS ON PURPOSE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#19]
In Texas, the ticketing camera revenue doesn't go to the municipality.  Some areas are really doing it to reduce the number of people running red lights at dangerous intersections (and where I live, Plano, we have like 3 of the top 10 dangerous intersections in the US).  

I don't ever intentionally run a red light, but I'll enter in an intersection if it's yellow and I'm going too fast to stop without being assed out in the intersection anyway.  On a 6 lane intersection, that sometimes means being in the intersection when it turns red.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Not saying you need this but someone here into privacy stuff will dig it.

Check legality in your area. I personally prefer to just obey the law though.

http://www.jammersstore.com/anti_photo.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ONLY MORONS RUN RED LIGHTS ON PURPOSE.

We have MANY morons in Houston
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#22]
In a lot of cases the cameras are given to the local government by the manufacturer and they are given a piece of the revenue generated.

In Beaverton Oregon the government was told by the camera manufacturer that they would generate X amount of revenue monthly.  The company was to be paid a percentage of the fines after a minimum amount.  The idea was that the cameras would cost the city nothing and the city would keep all revenues collected over the monthly amount paid to the camera company.  At first this worked out great with the city pulling down all kinds of money, but when the word got out the people either found other intersections or quit running the lights and the fines went down to where the city was having to pay out the minimum amount to the camera company.  After the city was in the red for a while on the deal they decreased the yellow light time and fine amounts came back up.

The amazing thing about all this is that the cameras are sold on a "decrease accident" platform to the local gevernments.  Studies have found that increasing yellow light times by a couple of seconds reduced red light running and accidents much more than the cameras ever did.  This costs almost nothing to impliment, but it doesn't make the government any money either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top