Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 10:14:33 PM EDT
Alright everyone, fess up!

All of the AD threads got me thinking that I'm not innocent...

I been shooting IPSC for 5 years now (Open and Production)...

I've had 3 ADs and one was a match DQ...

All of the ADs I've had were during live-fire stages in IPSC.

I do not have magazines anywhere near my gun when I dry fire at home and I don't keep any guns or magazines loaded in the home...

I always check before and after a gun comes into my possesion...

1st:

Dry firing on the range doing some reload drills...

One of the magazines was loaded

2nd:

My production gun is an HK USP 9mm and the magazines always drop free...

It used to be a habit that I would hit, the magazine release, drop the slide - and drop the hammer.

After I was finished shooting a stage, I was given the "if finished, unload and make clear" order.

The magazine did not drop free of the gun and I chambered another round and fired the weapon.

Now, I always make sure the mags leaves the gun before dropping my slide and hammer...

This was not a match DQ.

3rd:

Finger out of the trigger guard on my open pistol but, not far out enough...

There is now one more bullet in the roof of my local indoor range...

Honorable Mention:

There is a BB hole in my TV screen because of improper airsoft handling...

I figured that it was just a toy...  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My only one was about 10 years ago with a 10/22. I was shooting alone in the backyard, set the rifle down on the table (didn't put the safety on), walked away to set up some more beer bottle caps. I came back and picked the rifle up without really looking at it (just reached down where I knew it was) and hit the trigger. Threw a bullet off to my left into the woods, no damage or anything but it does bother you quite a bit when it happens.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Her name was Shirley and she was real cute. Oh, wait, you meant firearms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
sporting clays course. Tried a buds new auto loader. He loads it for me and hands it over. I do a few sweeps with the gun to get the feel of it. Before I get to yell if the trappers ready, my finger touches the trigger and BOOM. It was pointed in the direction of the trapper. Only thing that saved him was the slight angle I had on it. Shook me enough to put the gun down and walked back to the club house. I was done for the day.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 42.

I've been shooting since I was 5 if you count BB Guns, 10 if you don't.

The only ND I've had was with a BB gun in my friends back yard when I was about 9. My friend went to the other end of the yard to re-set the targets and I shot him in the back because I was pointing at a target for him to pick up with the rifle and my finger on the trigger. His dad was pissed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

3rd:

From seeing the roof, walls and the floor at one public indoor range I used to visit I would have to say such things are a very common occurrence.    
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had an AD or ND.

My best friend didn't count how many rounds came out of his rifle when he unloaded it and dropped the hammer. Shot the window in my dad's cabin and almost hit him.

My dad did the same thing unloading his rifle and shot a hole through the roof of his blind. Damaged his hearing, what with the .300 WSM he was using. I also stopped him from doing the exact same thing with his .30-06. He normally loaded his rifle with two rounds; I loaded it with three and told him so. He refused to believe me (hey stupid, I can count) and I told him fine, just blow a hole through the cabin if you want to be a dumbass. He finally worked the bolt just to humor me (or, more likely, so he could make a sarcastic comment when nothing came out) and, lo and behold, a third round pops out.

My uncle was also unloading his .22 carbine but was smart enough to count how many rounds came out. He was one short and started digging around in the couch, figuring he lost it in the cushions. Couldn't find it, so he pulled the charging handle half a dozen times, looked in the tube magazine, checked inside the receiver, nothing. He figured he miscounted how many he had loaded or had lost the last round in the couch cushions. Later, he was showing another friend of mine how the gun worked, pulled the trigger to drop the hammer... and put a .22" hole in the floor of the cabin.

I've never had an AD/ND in my life. I follow the safety rules, I count how many rounds go into and out of my gun every time, and it takes three seconds to clear the chamber so why not do it every time. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3rd:

From seeing the roof, walls and the floor at one public indoor range I used to visit I would have to say such things are a very common occurrence.    

We had a range that closed that had bullet holes 3 -5 feet BEHIND the firing line. Maybe straight up, down, or to the side, but behind you?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
good lord.

i guess i have been lucky, or my time hasnt come yet annd hope it doesnt, im happy to say i have never had one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never had one myself, but I have witnessed one.

My grandfather had this shotgun -

hanging off of a gun rack with a rope as a sling, kind of upside down, for home defense.  The gun rack was in his bedroom.  I was about 10 or so when this happened, but the shotgun went off, and blew a rather large hole in the bedroom wall.

He was going back into the bedroom to get something (can't remember what it was).  He was permanently disabled, from a chainsaw accident way back when (almost cut his leg off, and the doctors that patched him up did it incorrectly, big lawsuit), and he could walk to well, and was prone to lose his balance.  He lost his balance as he was walking around the end of the bed, and fell into the wall, where that shotgun was hanging.  Thats what caused it to go off.  I heard the noise from the other room and came running, and he was okay.  He didnt say anything for a couple of hours, just sat in his chair and smoked cigarettes one after the other, with his hand trembling.  I dont know how he set the gun off, but somehow he did it.

One bad aftereffect is that this was in the middle of winter, with a particularly bad cold snap, and the bedroom had a new ventilation duct in the wall.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3rd:

Well, I did it in front of about 30 observers...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My cousin and I had come in from a night of drinking and he showed me his new Sig P239. I loved how smooth the action was on that pistol. So I was racking the slide and pulling trigger of cousins Sig P239 when he asks me to fix the stereo playing surround sound on his TV as he had messed up the remote and it went to loud static.  I do and while my back is turned he inserts the magazine (which I cannot hear) into the pistol while I am not looking.  He goes and gets the holster and I sit down and rack the slide.  He tosses me the holster which lands in my lap and tells me to put the pistol up.  I insert the pistol into the holster which is an old style button thumb break and one of the thumb break straps goes in the trigger guard.  Instead of pulling the pistol out and reinserting it I shove it in.  Gun goes off and slide hits my right hand.  I see a puff of material fly off the left side arm of the chair I am sitting in and a puff of material fly out the sofa my cousin is sitting in at chest height 3 feet to his left.  Shocked I stand up shaking my right hand and looking at it in disbelief!  My cousin yells "What the fuck are you doing busting caps off in my house!?!?!"

I say "I dont know!" He says, "Man stop bleeding on my fucking rug, I just bought it!" I show him my right hand and say "I dont think it cut me!" He says, "No your other hand stupid!" So I look at my left hand that was covering the muzzle end of the holster as I pressed it in and there is a perfect 9mm groove in the palm of my hand.  Just as I look at the fatty, brain looking matter in my hand which is not really bleeding the shock wears off and blood starts coming out of it like crazy!

I tell my cousin I have to go to the emergency room as he gets me a towel so I wont bleed on his rug.  I tell him to call my mom to let her know I am going to the emergency room but not to worry her.  He calls her and begins to explain.  I  then get frustrated and say "Gimme that!" and take the phone.  I get on the phone and I say "Mom....I've shot myself..."  My cousin says, "Good job dumb ass that wont scare her!" LMAO!!!

My cousin then took me to an emergency room in a town I had never been in before and drove off and left me there and went to sleep for the night.  My hand was full of powder burns and was really hurting.  They were just wheeling a cart over to my room after about an hour wait when suddenly I hear "CODE BLUE CODE BLUE!!!" and they are wheeling in a guy about 70 years old that is both blue and pale as a ghost.  They guy looks about 30 minutes already dead of a heart attack.  They frantically go in to another room and strat hitting him with the paddles.  Not a blip on the heart monitor after 5 tries but they kep on hitting him with the paddles over and over and over.  I say "Hey that guy is dead and I am in pain over here!"  Docter gives me a dirty look.

About 5 minutes later he brings over a syringe about 40CC size with a giant 2" needle on it and fills the syringe to the max.  I say "Hey you are not going to use THAT needle on me are you?" "Oh no not this one," he replies.  He then takes off the original needle used to draw out 40cc of solution. "I thought it was some kind of a joke..ha ha" I say.  He then puts on an 18 gauge 3" needle on the syringe!!!!! I keep telling him the joke is not funny while kind of panicing.  He tells me to turn my hand over and when I do he shoves the needle in so far I can feel the point sticking me in the back of my hand! I thought it had come out the other side!  He does a series of injections till all 40 cc are gone.  It was excrutiating.  My hand swelled so much the insides were bulging out of the trough and my hand was twice the normal size.  He bandaged it up and I spent the next 2 hours wandering the streets on foot until I found my cousins house and he would not wake up so I slept in my car till morning.  Man that sucked.

Lesson: DO NOT DRINK AND PLAY WITH GUNS!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#13]
We had one at an ARFcom shoot a couple weeks ago.

I have never had one, and never will.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not a blip on the heart monitor after 5 tries but they kep on hitting him with the paddles over and over and over.  I say "Hey that guy is dead and I am in pain over here!"  Docter gives me a dirty look.

I would have probally hit you with the paddles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
None yet, and I work pretty hard at it to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I covered mine in the other thread.

1911, tac reload, slap fresh mag in, finger off trigger - BOOM!!!!

Worn sear/hammer spur. Replaced all internals and carried it on and off for 10 years. Never another problem.

Mine was an AD due to mechanical failure.

Kimber series 70's will discharge when dropped on nose of firearm, straight down. All series 70's can do this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#17]
hammer follow on a 1911 with a bubba trigger job (not mine). insert mag with 2 rounds, pull slide

*BRAAP*

slide locked back, empty mag. Can't imagine what would have happened with all 7 rounds in the mag
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My best friend didn't count how many rounds came out of his rifle when he unloaded it and dropped the hammer. Shot the window in my dad's cabin and almost hit him.

My dad did the same thing unloading his rifle and shot a hole through the roof of his blind. Damaged his hearing, what with the .300 WSM he was using. I also stopped him from doing the exact same thing with his .30-06. He normally loaded his rifle with two rounds; I loaded it with three and told him so. He refused to believe me (hey stupid, I can count) and I told him fine, just blow a hole through the cabin if you want to be a dumbass. He finally worked the bolt just to humor me (or, more likely, so he could make a sarcastic comment when nothing came out) and, lo and behold, a third round pops out.

My uncle was also unloading his .22 carbine but was smart enough to count how many rounds came out. He was one short and started digging around in the couch, figuring he lost it in the cushions. Couldn't find it, so he pulled the charging handle half a dozen times, looked in the tube magazine, checked inside the receiver, nothing. He figured he miscounted how many he had loaded or had lost the last round in the couch cushions. Later, he was showing another friend of mine how the gun worked, pulled the trigger to drop the hammer... and put a .22" hole in the floor of the cabin.

I've never had an AD/ND in my life. I follow the safety rules, I count how many rounds go into and out of my gun every time, and it takes three seconds to clear the chamber so why not do it every time. It's not hard.

If i pulled the charging handle a half a dozen times and the gun still had a round in it i would throw it in the garbage.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Never had one.
Makes note to take cover when HK_Shooter_03 is around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Thousands upon thousands of rounds, never had one, knock on wood.  My Dad bought me my first rifle when I was 4, a Savage .22 bolt.  Tought me then how to treat a weapon.  Hell, I remember spending countless hours clearing my house with my Marlin 30-30 when I was a kid, LOADED!!!  I was a kid, after all.  Call me a freak, but that was fun for me, but I always remembered what my father taught me.
If you truly follow the golden rules, you will never have an AD.  Sorry guys, but the only excuse for an AD is having a sloppy finger/mind.

ETA

I can't believe I'm reading posts where people have had MORE THAN ONE!!  I can understand one, maybe.  But DAYUM!!!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If i pulled the charging handle a half a dozen times and the gun still had a round in it i would throw it in the garbage.

A story like that was passed around last time someone started an ND thread. Except it was an AR and the extractor was broken. After hearing that, I started visually inspecting the chamber as well as the usually 3-4 cycles of the action.

I've been real close (finger on trigger and round in chamber) to two ND's both around when I bought my first pistol. First was a simple stupid mistake. Second was me dropping the slide as I dropped a loaded mag out. Went to pull the trigger (safe direction at least) and paused. Decided to rack the slide and out popped a round that was in the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Never had one never will!  Oops wait a minute!  When I was 17, back when I knew more than I do now, 29 years ago.   I was walking out of the house with a loaded Marlin 39A before I had to go pick up the girlfriend to drop her off at school, while going down the front steps to shoot at birds the rifle disharged sending a .22lr hollowpoint through the top of my calf muscle and out the bottom.  .22 size entry wound, dime size exit hole 8" later.  The funny thing is I remember not even realizing at first that I had been hit until looking down and seeing blood running out the bottom of my pant leg.  The doctors told me that this is one of the body's defense mechanisms to trauma to immediately go into shock.  NOW for the rest of the story of incredible teenage stupidity, and the effects of too much T.V. on a dumbass.  I put the rifle back in the house, and as stated previously had to drop off girlfriend at school.  I thought I would just go pick her up, drop her off then go home and bandage this up, after all Dirty Harry never worried about one little hole did he!  I got in my car (67 Mercury Cougar) and go to girlfriends house, maybe 2 mi. away, get to her house, she gets in car and is like WTF!  Don't worry about it I'll drop you off then fix it, meanwhile the floorpan is filling with lots of blood, maybe a mile later I have to pull over so she can drive and take me to hospital.  Starting to pass out from blood loss, She drives me to hospital in Monroe, MI, by now my sh*t is F*@ked up!  The hospital would not do anything but stop the bleeding because I was under age until they contacted my mother who was in Toledo, OH at work.  My mother arrives shortly afterwards, cannot understand what the doctor is trying to tell her because he is a foreigner of some sort so asks to have me transported to a hospital in Toledo.  I do not remember the ambulance ride, am told that pulse and blood pressure was lost during transport.  I do remember waking up with deputy sheriffs standing there wanting to know who shot me, and where is the gun.  Was in the hospital for a couple days, then wound became infected which started a new set of problems.  It took a long time to walk properly again due to atrophy of the calf muscle.  My mother in Law (I married the girlfriend 28 years ago!) thought she would be helpful and clean up the car, found out that she could never be a nurse.  The car was nasty!  Anyway long story short, the only thing I can figure out is I must have had finger on the trigger, this rifle had one of the trigger extensions on it so you could pull the hammer back easier if you had scope on the rifle which must have somehow caught then let go discharging the round.  I still have the rifle in my gunsafe today.  There was an article on the front page of the Monroe Evening News the next day stating "Man shoots self", my fifteen minutes of complete DUMBASS!  Since then I have never had another, knock on wood!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I was new to pistols at the time and had only shot the M9, a Glock 17 and some S&Ws.

Went to the range with my roommate who recently finished building a SWEET Capsian frame 10mm 1911.

Took it to the range and needless to say, the trigger was different than I was used to.  Aimed shot, boom and then shot another during recoil.

<knock on wood> My only AD/ND experience.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I have never had one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top