Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 9:07:22 PM EDT
no chip no work

LINK

Employees get microchip implants
Company requires controversial device for certain workers

Posted: February 10, 2006

A Cincinnati company is requiring any employee who works in its secure data center to be implanted with a microchip.

The video surveillance company CityWatcher.com injected two of its employees in the triceps area of the arm with the VeriChip, a glass-encapsulated RFID, or radio-frequency identification, tag, according to Liz McIntyre, co-author of "Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID."

CityWatcher.com's Network Administrator Khary Williams spoke with McIntyre by phone Wednesday after the company announced it had integrated the VeriChip VeriGuard product into its access control system.

The tag can be read through clothing from a few inches away.

The highly controversial device is being marketed as a way to access secure areas, link to medical records and make purchases like a credit card.

As WorldNetDaily reported, when former Secretary of Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson joined the VeriChip Corp. board of directors, he pledged to get chipped and encouraged Americans to do the same so their electronic medical records would be available in emergencies.

But McIntyre and co-author Katherine Albrecht contacted VeriChip Corp. in December and were told the chipping never took place.

VeriChip spokesman John Procter said Thompson had been "too busy" to undergo the procedure, adding that he had no clear plans to do so.

CityWatcher's Williams said a local doctor already has implanted two of the company's employees with the VeriChip devices.

"I will eventually" receive an implant, too, he added.

Meanwhile, Williams accesses the data center with a VeriChip implant housed in a heart-shaped plastic casing that hangs from his key chain.

He told McIntyre he had no reservations about having the procedure and would do it as soon as time permits.

But McIntyre says she's worried that CityWatchers – a government contractor specializing in surveillance projects – would be the first publicly to incorporate the technology in the workplace.

CityWatcher provides video surveillance, monitoring and video storage for government and businesses, with cameras set up on public streets throughout Cincinnati.

The company hopes the VeriChip will bolster its proximity or "prox" card security system that controls access to the room where the video footage is stored, said Gary Retherford of Six Sigma Security, Inc., the company that provided the VeriChip technology.

"The prox card is a system that can be compromised," said Retherford, referring to the card's well-known vulnerability to hackers.

He explained that chipping employees "was a move to increase the layer of security."

"It was attractive because it could be integrated with the existing system," he said.

McIntyre points out, however, researchers have shown the VeriChip to be vulnerable to hackers.

Security researcher Jonathan Westhues showed last month how a hacker can clone a chip and theoretically duplicate someone's implant to access a secure area.

Westhues believes the VeriChip is not secure and "not good for anything."

"No one I spoke with at Six Sigma Security or at CityWatcher knew that the VeriChip had been hacked," said McIntyre, author of a chapter titled "Hacking the Prox Card" for Simson Garfinkel's recent "RFID: Applications, Security, and Privacy."

"They were also surprised to hear of VeriChip's downsides as a medical device," he added. "It was clear they weren't aware of some of the controversy surrounding the implant."

Albrecht says that while CityWatcher.com does not require employees to receive the chip to keep their jobs, the company is establishing an unsettling precedent.

"It's wrong to link a person's paycheck with getting an implant," she said. "Once people begin 'voluntarily' getting chipped to perform their job duties, it won't be long before pressure gets applied to those who refuse."

Albrecht believes the VeriChip will be hard to sell when people learn of the security flaws, combined with a general squeamishness about implants.

"Obviously, nobody wants their employer coming at them with a giant hypodermic needle," she said. "But when people realize it takes a scalpel and surgery to remove the device if it gets hacked, they'll really think twice. An implant is disgusting enough going in, but getting it out again is a bloody mess."

WorldNetDaily.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess I would be looking for a new job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that..
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]

The tag can be read through clothing from a few inches away.

Note the "few inches" bit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you really an elite soldier?

Yes he is.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank goodness for capitalism... fuck that place!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you really a Moderator?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.according2prophecy.org/Mark-Beast-3.jpg

Don't laugh.

Why not? How are you possibly going to make the correlation an electronic chip and the devil are related. Thats silliness. Next you'll tell me Satan is trying to steal my soul through my cell phone I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck that, fuck that
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
fuck that
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I did 42 tours of duty in nam alone.

Ive won so many medals, i give some away every chirstmas.

My clearance is so high, ive been known to take a shit in the master bathroom at the white house while GW and the lil missies went at it.

Oh hell, i'm lying.

About 4 years ago, i got into the gear business, a couple years later, my wife came down with cancer.
She being number one, i droped everything to take care of her.

At the time, i was in the process of importing some gear from Germany.

The gear is top of the line Combat gear made for actual combat.

Not like a lot of the gear you see on the market thats geared more toward the consumer who has very little knowledge of what he is buying.

I received some samples of the German gear and like i said its top of the line.
The best gear ive ever seen. While i was looking over the gear, i said to myself.

This is Elite Gear for an Elite soldier. Hmmmmm.

I had my website just about ready to launce when my wife got sick.

Shes been cancer free for almost 2  years now, according to the doctors, im hoping to get back into the gear business in about a month or two.

Of course ill have to come up with some good sales for my arfcom family.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

Why not? How are you possibly going to make the correlation an electronic chip and the devil are related. Thats silliness. Next you'll tell me Satan is trying to steal my soul through my cell phone I suppose.

Your missing the point.  RFID tags are not created by the devil or some such, they are a powerful tool that some believe to be the "Mark of the Beast" or in collequial terms the economic system created by the anti-christ in the last days.  The economic system envisioned by St. John was one in which the anti-christ controlled all economic transactions - which is a tremendous power.  You want to feed your family?  Well then, renounce your God, give up your guns, and turn your children over for state indoctrination.  As a Christian I fear technologies like this because they make the possibility of a tyrannical state more plausible, and thus I think its a fear that many non-Christians can share.  Can you imagine what a regime like Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia would have done with such a system?  IMHO, many of the new information age technologies are making centralized tyrannies much more possible.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

Your missing the point.  RFID tags are not created by the devil or some such, they are a powerful tool that some believe to be the "Mark of the Beast" or in collequial terms the economic system created by the anti-christ in the last days.  The economic system envisioned by St. John was one in which the anti-christ controlled all economic transactions - which is a tremendous power.  You want to feed your family?  Well then, renounce your God, give up your guns, and turn your children over for state indoctrination.  As a Christian I fear technologies like this because they make the possibility of a tyrannical state more plausible, and thus I think its a fear that many non-Christians can share.  Can you imagine what a regime like Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia would have done with such a system?  IMHO, many of the new information age technologies are making centralized tyrannies much more possible.

I think people take thsi religion stuff way too far. I sum it up like this. i dont want The Man in my business. Period. As for angels and devils and God and Satan and End of times...ok, whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

I think people take thsi religion stuff way too far. I sum it up like this. i dont want The Man in my business. Period. As for angels and devils and God and Satan and End of times...ok, whatever floats your boat.

You're the one who started mocking the Mark of the Beast thing with that typical smug athiestic sense of superiority.  In the process, as is typical of athiests who mock religion, you demonstrated an utter lack of understanding of the subject.  I simply sought to explain it to you.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
The Bum on the street WAS right!

The world WILL end soon!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

Your missing the point.  RFID tags are not created by the devil or some such, they are a powerful tool that some believe to be the "Mark of the Beast" or in collequial terms the economic system created by the anti-christ in the last days.  The economic system envisioned by St. John was one in which the anti-christ controlled all economic transactions - which is a tremendous power.  You want to feed your family?  Well then, renounce your God, give up your guns, and turn your children over for state indoctrination. As a Christian I fear technologies like this because they make the possibility of a tyrannical state more plausible, and thus I think its a fear that many non-Christians can share.  Can you imagine what a regime like Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia would have done with such a system?  IMHO, many of the new information age technologies are making centralized tyrannies much more possible.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

The highly controversial device is being marketed as a way to access secure areas, link to medical records and make purchases like a credit card.

Revelation 13:16-17 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Money is already mostly electronic. It would be a realitivly small task to intergrate bank accounts. This could easily replace the debit card. Now look at the "national ID card". They are already working on getting everyone's DMV records put into a uniform, centrally accessible system and that could also be easily integrated with the Digital Angel system. Think of the "benefits" that this would produce. Identity theft would be completely eliminated, robbery would be completely eliminated, money laudering would be impossible (which would make drug trafficing and fencing also nearly impossible), terrorism could be virtually eliminated and so on. Do you think that the government would hesitate to make it mandatory? Give it 5 years.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That is pure ignorance!

Satan is stealing our souls through cell phone cameras, obviously.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

It's foolishness to completely disregard the fact that a similar system was predicted nearly 2,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Revelation 13:16-17

16 And he [the beast] causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead,

17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]
They can take that chip and shove it the fuck up their ass.  There is no way in hell I accept implantation of anything in my body for work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Not just no, but FUCK NO.  And I am an agnostic, so the religion issue really doesn't play into it.  I just refuse to work someplace where they require I alter my body in anyway except dropping a pants size or two.  (however, it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets)
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You're the one who started mocking the Mark of the Beast thing with that typical smug athiestic sense of superiority.  In the process, as is typical of athiests who mock religion, you demonstrated an utter lack of understanding of the subject.  I simply sought to explain it to you.

I'm just playing Devils Advocate.
By the way, how much for your soul? I can make a good offer......
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]
They can chop my head off before they put that in me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell I wouldn't let them do it to my dog let alone me.
Ok, he's got a chip and we both had things that weren't broken fixed.  Let's not let reality interfere with superstition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They can chop my head off before they put that in me.

That'll go over great at the interview.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Employer insists I get chipped? Get fucked. I'm outta here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes he is.

a coupla of those guys appear to be in relatively good condition
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did 42 tours of duty in nam alone.

Ive won so many medals, i give some away every chirstmas.

My clearance is so high, ive been known to take a shit in the master bathroom at the white house while GW and the lil missies went at it.

Oh hell, i'm lying.

About 4 years ago, i got into the gear business, a couple years later, my wife came down with cancer.
She being number one, i droped everything to take care of her.

At the time, i was in the process of importing some gear from Germany.

The gear is top of the line Combat gear made for actual combat.

Not like a lot of the gear you see on the market thats geared more toward the consumer who has very little knowledge of what he is buying.

I received some samples of the German gear and like i said its top of the line.
The best gear ive ever seen. While i was looking over the gear, i said to myself.

This is Elite Gear for an Elite soldier. Hmmmmm.

I had my website just about ready to launce when my wife got sick.

Shes been cancer free for almost 2  years now, according to the doctors, im hoping to get back into the gear business in about a month or two.

Of course ill have to come up with some good sales for my arfcom family.  

Glad to hear your wife is ok.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Money is already mostly electronic. It would be a realitivly small task to intergrate bank accounts. This could easily replace the debit card. Now look at the "national ID card". They are already working on getting everyone's DMV records put into a uniform, centrally accessible system and that could also be easily integrated with the Digital Angel system. Think of the "benefits" that this would produce. Identity theft would be completely eliminated, robbery would be completely eliminated, money laudering would be impossible (which would make drug trafficing and fencing also nearly impossible), terrorism could be virtually eliminated and so on. Do you think that the government would hesitate to make it mandatory? Give it 5 years.

In the security field it is a well known fact that any system will eventually be defeated. If it is put in place, I would give it 2 weeks to be defeated
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#35]
It won't be long until your credit cards are RFID. I work for a company that makes the equipment used by banks to personalize these things. My job involves installing the equipment and training the customer, I am doing another one this week. It’s nothing fancy, just moving the information on the magnetic stripe to an RFID device. It appears to be catching on big. Europe and Asia have been using smart cards for years but they are the contact type chips. Now they are looking at RFID also.

One of the biggest security concerns is people using a scanning device to “sniff” an unsuspecting person’s account number as they walk by. To reduce the risk financial cards are not sensitive and will work only in very close proximity to the reader.

If your standing in a line somewhere with your new card in your wallet and someone rubs your butt, check them out to see if they really are happy to see you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Over
my
dead
fucking
body.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Just to play Devil's Advocate:  How many people here really are willing to risk their job over a little chip?

One of my anatomy professors also worked at the VA hospital as a pathologist.  My understanding is that some/most/all gov't employees must be fingerprinted.  He slipped through the cracks and it was only years later that the VA realized, for whatever reason, that he hadn't been printed.  He refused as he had never been printed before and they fired him.  

We talk big but I'm sure most people here (?myself included) would get the chip if it meant being fired.  Maybe I'm wrong, but can you afford to lose your job?  I don't think any of us can answer that until the moment of truth.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Watch Bendover cook his chip with the microwave.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#39]
From the article:

<Snip> Although the company does not require the microchips be implanted to maintain employment, anyone without one will not be able to access the datacenter, according to a Register article.

<Snip> Ironically, the extra security sought may be offset by a recent discovery of Jonathan Westhues, where the security researcher showed the VeriChip can be skimmed and cloned, duplicating an implant’s authentication. When contacted, those at CityWatcher were unaware of the chip's security issue, according to the spychips.com release.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Note the news source.  That story is just about as true as spotting Elvis at a truck stop.  Plus if you have to be within inches to read the chip then the chip serves no use because once inside the room the system would lose track of the employee.  Secure data areas already use a combination of electronic badges combined with rentinal scans.  Requiring an implant just isn't needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

I see you haven't been paying attention.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.

I see you haven't been paying attention.

What do you mean?! I've been following along all...OH LOOK! SOMETHING SHINY!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
<Snip> Note the news source.  That story is just about as true as spotting Elvis at a truck stop.<Snip>   Plus if you have to be within inches to read the chip then the chip serves no use because once inside the room the system would lose track of the employee.  Secure data areas already use a combination of electronic badges combined with rentinal scans.  Requiring an implant just isn't needed.

I agree.  My "bullshit meter" pegged pretty quickly as well.  Also, from what little I know about retinal scans (I don't pretend to know much of squat about them) they're VERY difficult, if not impossible, to duplicate.  I gather that the retina is a unique identifier and has to be attached to its original owner.   That is, you can't just gouge Cleetus's eyeball out and go stick it up to the retinal scanner and gain entry to the top secret "moonshine still room".  Come to think of it, if you DID, Cleetus would look like this (notice the bloody eye) ------->
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just to play Devil's Advocate:  How many people here really are willing to risk their job over a little chip?

Could be quite a lot. I am 4 years off early retirement. If I quit today it would be pushed back to 8 years. I could just hand out carts at Wally-World and make a living right now.

But the risk of my employer wanting chips in us are next to none.

But I do have to notify them if I don't have thier cell phone on me. I wonder..... fullclip  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Mark of the beast!

It's just an ID card.

+1

I have one in my badge for work, I guess I'm "Marked with the Beast"

I guess nobody here knows about SOX audit requirements for data centers, and how hard keeping up with the access control requirements are.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What do you mean?! I've been following along all...OH LOOK! SOMETHING SHINY!

Your cell phone is capable of doing much more than make and receive calls and take pictures.

Even when you're not using it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have one in my badge for work, I guess I'm "Marked with the Beast"

I guess nobody here knows about SOX audit requirements for data centers, and how hard keeping up with the access control requirements are.

The difference is, you can take your badge off when you leave work.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people think chips implanted under your skin are good for you.

Especially gun people.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#48]
"Oh, it's just for high security clearance..."

Next: dangerous felons. "Concerned parents need to know where the dangerous people are!"

Then: mental patients. "For their own well being."

Oh, and how about "the children...do it for the children!"

*AND/OR*

"Don't you know your children are at risk...there are pedophiles lurking under every rock!"

IT MAY NEVER HAPPEN TO US...

But your kids grow up.

Wonder what the battery life is on the sheeple tags....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Mark of the Beast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#50]
More info on Verichip

If my boss told me I had to have a chip implanted. I would quit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top