Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
I live in southeast Virginia and have about 4 acres of heavily wooded rimber on my land a guy is interested in buying. It's mostly oak, pine, and cedar. He wants everything, he said uses it for lumber and paper, so he can use most all of it. Anyone know what the fair prices are for this? I don't know if they pay per foot or per tree. I just don't want to get took, and since there isn't alot of logging companies around I can't really price check him against others. And do I have to claim the money I get from the sales on my taxes?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
VTHOKIESHOOTER on this site is a timber guy (if I'm not mistaken).
If he doesn't catch this thread, try sending him an IM.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
there is a huge difference in possible values, a tree can be worth 25 dollars a ton as pulp/ biomass or 500$ a log as veneer. You need a forestor to cruise the land and give you a estimate.

And yes there is a whole section of the tac code on timber sales. Also you have to consider what the land will look like afterwards, sounds like he wants to clearcut it which will result in residual brush, tops and small DBH or worthless trees
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER on this site is a timber guy (if I'm not mistaken).
If he doesn't catch this thread, try sending him an IM.

Yeah, no kidding, you lucked out, he'd know AND he's in VA
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
That post by orion had some good advice get a forester to help you out, hell you pay taxes get them to do some work for you.  If the land is clearcut make sure he leaves some stumps and slash to reduce erosion.  We love a well done clear cuts up here.  The moose, deer, and bears love them to.  It brings in ruffed grouse, rabbits, field mice, squirrels, and all the predators that go with them, so it can really improve your hunting opportunity in a short time.  Something else to remember if it is cut, the land will never look as it does now so you might want to just cut a portion or just selectively cut the trees with the highest value and leave the rest there.  Either way its a lot to consider so consult a forester.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
side note, the oak market in general is really crappy right now, may be best to wait a few years ( current furniture fad market is for white wood like sugar maple)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top