Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/11/2006 1:37:46 PM EDT

This building looks like it is located in the top-right corner of the model picture.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That building is now known as the atomic dome memorial.  Currently, there is a museum and park located in the wedge of land between the rivers.  The park is known as Peace Memorial Park.   The museum has a lot of pictures of the devastation caused by the bomb, both to the city and to the people.  I went there in 1986 and toured the museum and the dome.  Talked to several survivors at the park.  The suffering they endured turned me into a staunch anti nuke individual.  (OK, no prob having them as a deterrent, but I despise the use of them)  It was before, and was in '86 a beautiful city.  The survivors hold no ill will toward the US because of the bomb. (we could learn some things from them ref 7 Dec 41).  They wish we wouldn't have dropped it, but understand why.  If you learn enough about the devastation caused and the suffering cause, you would hate nukes too....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They wish we wouldn't have dropped it, but understand why.  

Fair enough
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They wish we wouldn't have dropped it, but understand why.  

That is hard to believe
I hope it is true.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Every sane person hates war and the destruction and death it causes.  However, there are certainly times when it is unavoidable.

After having a lovely time on Iwo Jima, my grandfather and his fellow Marines were training and preparing for the invasion of Japan.  This probably would have caused the deaths of more than a million Japanese, and a few hundred thousand Americans, possibly my grandfather.  Those are conservative estimates.

Although the nukes were devastating, the Japanese got off cheap, and my grandfather returned home to his family.  It was a very appropriate use of weapons technology.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Just let the Japs know that are MORE from where that came from!.........
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That building is now known as the atomic dome memorial.  Currently, there is a museum and park located in the wedge of land between the rivers.  The park is known as Peace Memorial Park.   The museum has a lot of pictures of the devastation caused by the bomb, both to the city and to the people.  I went there in 1986 and toured the museum and the dome.  Talked to several survivors at the park.  The suffering they endured turned me into a staunch anti nuke individual.  (OK, no prob having them as a deterrent, but I despise the use of them)  It was before, and was in '86 a beautiful city.  The survivors hold no ill will toward the US because of the bomb. (we could learn some things from them ref 7 Dec 41).  They wish we wouldn't have dropped it, but understand why.  If you learn enough about the devastation caused and the suffering cause, you would hate nukes too....

Have you ever read a history book or anything about WWII?

Yes, it was horrific, but, less people died in the two bomb blasts than would have in a Japan invasion by allied troops.

My father, for one would have been part of the invasion, so I take a completely different look at the dropping of the bomb on Japan.

My father died one year ago on February 22nd. He earned four bronze stars in battles at New Britain, Luzon, Manila and Corregidor, he died without ever buying a Japanese car and mistrusted, if not abhorred the Japanese race his entire life.

You may want to study who the enemy was that cause Truman to make such a tough decision that potentially saved 1 million lives, not the least of which could have been many fathers and grandfathers of many of the members of this board.

Is nuclear bombing the answer always? No.

Is the fact that the U.S is the one nation that has had the balls and the need to utilize Nukes kept us the superpower that we are today? YES.

The Japanese did not readily surrender or give up the fight. They were relentless warriors. They are the most prejudiced human beings on the planet, considering any non-Japanese "geijing" which means foreigner.  They bombed Pearl Harbor with no warning, no war declaration!

Go to the Arizona memorial and stand over 1176 dead GI's in the hulk of that ship and consider what the Japanese did to the U.S.

Ok, you hit a nerve.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Chinese are just as racially prejudiced. And most Japanese I know today are 60/40 in love with America/still refuse to admit they lost.

Also, the ambassadors were supposed to deliver the war declaration half an hour before the attack. They screwed up. They weren't going to just bushwhack us like that with no warning.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting side note--most of the anti-nuke folks talk about the devastation of nuclear war, poisoning the world for centuries to come--and yet the only two sites where nukes were actually used in anger are now parks, surrounded by thriving cities.  

Just a thought.

(From an advocate of nuclear power, both peaceful and otherwise).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever read a history book or anything about WWII?

Yes, it was horrific, but, less people died in the two bomb blasts than would have in a Japan invasion by allied troops.

My father, for one would have been part of the invasion, so I take a completely different look at the dropping of the bomb on Japan.

My father died one year ago on February 22nd. He earned four bronze stars in battles at New Britain, Luzon, Manila and Corregidor, he died without ever buying a Japanese car and mistrusted, if not abhorred the Japanese race his entire life.

You may want to study who the enemy was that cause Truman to make such a tough decision that potentially saved 1 million lives, not the least of which could have been many fathers and grandfathers of many of the members of this board.

Is nuclear bombing the answer always? No.

Is the fact that the U.S is the one nation that has had the balls and the need to utilize Nukes kept us the superpower that we are today? YES.

The Japanese did not readily surrender or give up the fight. They were relentless warriors. They are the most prejudiced human beings on the planet, considering any non-Japanese "geijing" which means foreigner.  They bombed Pearl Harbor with no warning, no war declaration!

Go to the Arizona memorial and stand over 1176 dead GI's in the hulk of that ship and consider what the Japanese did to the U.S.

Ok, you hit a nerve.

Seems like the Japanese stated they understood WHY it was done...doesn't mean they have to like it. Like I said earlier..fair enough
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
a little off topic but, have you ever wondered what the earths population would be if there were no wars before now? just think of the millions of men and women who if not killed in war would have an average 2.3 children and then their children would have the same and so on...

and now think if we cure disease that are major killers, cancer, flu, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

it's funny how humans fight the very nature that is built into it, just as everything else on this earth is SELF REGULATING..war is a natural balance to life and population. to resist war and disease is unnatural and unhealthy to the balance of the planet.

EMBRACE WAR!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate that we HAD to nuke Japan, but I'm glad we did.

From a stand point of dead is dead........what does it matter if you die from a nuke blast or bullet. You're dead either way.

The way it went down, sure didn't kill as many Americans as an invasion would have. It also eliminated an internal insurgency that would have been the result of invasion and destruction without surrender. It is doubtful a surrender would have been easily achieved, even if we had control of the cities and ports.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Your tag line states, "Islam wants you dead. Take appropriate actions. triburst1"

During WWII the Japanese wanted us dead - our generation at that time took the appropriate actions.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My son is in the navy and based in Pearl Harbor.  Last year his boat went to Japan and docked in Sasebo, which is near Nagasaki and he and some friends went to the atomic bomb museum there.  He said it was very sobering and he came away with the odd realization that he came from the point the war started to where it ended.  He said it gave him a creepy feeling.  
War sucks.  Unfortunately it's part of our nature to fight, whether its among family, friends or nations.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That building is now known as the atomic dome memorial.  Currently, there is a museum and park located in the wedge of land between the rivers.  Currently, there is a Memorial in Pearl Harbor Hawaii. The park is known as Peace Memorial Park.  The Memorial is known as the USS Arizona Memorial.  The museum has a lot of pictures of the devastation caused by the bomb, both to the city and to the people.  The Memorial has a lot of pictures of the devastation caused by the Japanese sneak attack, both to the city and to the people. I went there in 1986 and toured the museum and the dome.  Talked to several survivors at the park. Talked to several survivors at the Memorial.  The suffering they endured turned me into a staunch anti nuke individual.  (OK, no prob having them as a deterrent, but I despise the use of them)  The suffering they endured turned me into a staunch anti Japanese Imperial Armed Forces individual. It was before, and was in '86 a beautiful city.  The survivors hold no ill will toward the US because of the bomb. The survivors are still pissed toward the Japanese because of the the sneak attack, their refusal to acknowledge the Geneva Convention, their willingness to play catch with babies on pitchforks, and their willingness to crucify prisoners of war among other attrocities commited.  (we could learn some things from them ref 7 Dec 41) (we could learn some things from them ref 7 Dec 1941).   They wish we wouldn't have dropped it, but understand why.  The Japanese were warned by ariel leaflets of the comming attacks and they ignored them. If you learn enough about the devastation caused and the suffering cause, you would hate nukes too....If you learn enough about the devastation they were responsible for and the suffering they caused, you might hold a grudge too....[/

If the Japanese people had paid heed to the repeated warnings that they were about to become the recipients of WMD's, they should have gotten their butts out of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Both cities were centers of the Japanese Military Industrial infrastructure with munitions and aircraft manufacturing plants. Who do you reckon worked at those plants? Why, I'll bet it was the good citizens of those 'beautiful cities'.

Considering the fact that dropping those Atomic bombs ended the war without the loss of hunderds of thousands of additional lives that would have been lost had the invasions of Japan and Guam been required....I don't have a problem with it at all. They reaped what they had sown.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
They should have dropped a few more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The after shot looks like Detroit.

As far as the Japs: fuck 'em, they got what they deserved.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#17]
And now they are good allies......funny how that works.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
One thing some of you, but not all, have forgotten is that Japan, like the US, Germany and Russia were all frantically trying to develope a nuclear weapon during WWII.  Their was no doubt that the first one that tested a working model was going to use it.  Does anyone here think that Japan or Germany would have hesitated for a heartbeat to use one against us if they had have developed it first?  We just got there first.  And the world, including Japan, should thank us for it.

Another thing, more people were killed in the firebombings then were killed in the nuclear bomb blasts.  If we hadn't have dropped the bombs more would have died in more firebombings that most assuredly would have come before any invasion, and even more Japanese and Americans during the invasions.

This should go down in history as what happens when you try to conquer the world.  the Islamic world needs to take notice and learn the lesson.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
funny how the aiming spot survived intact.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you learn enough about the devastation caused and the suffering cause, you would hate nukes too....

If you learned enough about the devastation and suffering on Okinawa you'd love nukes too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
One thing some of you, but not all, have forgotten is that Japan, like the US, Germany and Russia were all frantically trying to develope a nuclear weapon during WWII.  Their was no doubt that the first one that tested a working model was going to use it.  Does anyone here think that Japan or Germany would have hesitated for a heartbeat to use one against us if they had have developed it first?  We just got there first.  And the world, including Japan, should thank us for it.

Another thing, more people were killed in the firebombings then were killed in the nuclear bomb blasts.  If we hadn't have dropped the bombs more would have died in more firebombings that most assuredly would have come before any invasion, and even more Japanese and Americans during the invasions.

This should go down in history as what happens when you try to conquer the world.  the Islamic world needs to take notice and learn the lesson.

Any apologists for the Japanese and those who decry the use of the bombs need to read the above, and especially the middle section.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Red x's for me.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Those 2 bombs you hate so much probably saved 1,000,000+ Allied lives and 10 times that many Japanese lives… dropping them was far more humane a option than the alternative.

I don’t really give a flying damn who has ill will about it... it was the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Think how many lives we'd save if we sent a few Iranian mullahs to visit this museum and consider the course they areo n.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that bomb was fertilizer, look how Japan has grown in 60 years.

I do think we need to retest the bomb on sand though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Every sane person hates war and the destruction and death it causes.  However, there are certainly times when it is unavoidable.

After having a lovely time on Iwo Jima, my grandfather and his fellow Marines were training and preparing for the invasion of Japan.  This probably would have caused the deaths of more than a million Japanese, and a few hundred thousand Americans, possibly my grandfather.  Those are conservative estimates.

Although the nukes were devastating, the Japanese got off cheap, and my grandfather returned home to his family.  It was a very appropriate use of weapons technology.

If I recall the casualty estimates were over 1,000,000 alied and quite possibly the virtual elimination of the Japanese race..... the Nukes were needed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
a little off topic but, have you ever wondered what the earths population would be if there were no wars before now? just think of the millions of men and women who if not killed in war would have an average 2.3 children and then their children would have the same and so on...

and now think if we cure disease that are major killers, cancer, flu, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

it's funny how humans fight the very nature that is built into it, just as everything else on this earth is SELF REGULATING..war is a natural balance to life and population. to resist war and disease is unnatural and unhealthy to the balance of the planet.

EMBRACE WAR!

[office space] "Um, yeah, now about those TPS reports"[office space]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Note to self...
Don't start war with country that can kick your ass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
And now they are good allies......funny how that works.

It does seem that when you throw diplomacy to the wind the peace you reap is real. Japs and Brits are both fairly dependable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you learn enough about the devastation caused and the suffering cause, you would hate nukes too....

If you learned enough about the devastation and suffering on Okinawa you'd love nukes too.

Some places in China and the Philipenes had few survivors to converse with.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A Torch to The Enemy. Nice little book about the firebombing campaign against japanese cities.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Um...the Japanese were behind the Bataan Death March....They deserved every atom.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They should have dropped a few more.

At the time, we only had two. It was going to take several months to make any more.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#35]
An estimated 30 million Chinese died at the hands of the Japs.  According to author James Bradley (Flag of Our Fathers & Flyboys), more Chinese died from Japanese sword blows than all the Japs killed by all bombing of the home islands.

Bradley is a liberal.  His hatred for both RR and GWB comes out early in Flyboys.  His evaluation of the militaristic, Emporer-worshiping Jap culture of the first 45 years of the 20th century is jaw-dropping.  The Japs created a society in which the only life that mattered was that of the Emporer.  Hirohito was chin-deep in all of the Jap actions and atrocities.

While I don't like his conservative bashing ways, I do recommend Flyboys for an in depth look at the conduct of the Japs in China and the rest of the Pacific.

You will be amazed at the callousness and depravity.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Say what you will about the Japanese, but they build a hell of a bridge.  Even an a-bomb couldn't eliminate those bridges.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#37]
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!?

-Mayor of Hiroshima-Aug 6,1945

Classic example of when you fuck with the bulls you get the horns.

I'm glad it happened, I may have never got to known either of my grandfathers.

God bless the Greatest Generation for doing what they did. Those Men are few nowadays
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I seldom use this kind of language or think like this, but fuck 'em.  I don't give a damn about the devastation or suffering the Japs went through.

We should have been patient enough to wait a few months and then drop every single bomb we could have made.  We should have cut the heart out of Tokyo with one of the bombs, too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#39]
A very short history lesson.   I just want my fellow forum members to look at the bigger picture.

Was the use of the atomic bomb NECESSARY?  No it was not a necessity.  The Japanese Empire was totally defensive and lacked the natural resources to continue to fight.  Had the US chosen to simply "wait them out" using a naval blockade the Japanese would have been starved into submission very quickly.  

Operation Downfall (the code name for the invasion of japan) did have ghastly casualty projections.  The 1,000,000 as suggested is actually American propaganda to justify the use of the bomb.  

The bomb was used as a show of force to the Soviet Union and to prevent the Soviet Union from entering the war against Japan thereby preventing the USSR from dividing and occuping Japan.  The uses of the bomb also had an underling racial motivation.  Many americans considered the Japanese to be sub-human as the prpoaganda of the era demonstrated.  

I am not saying the Japanese were civil by any means.  They did commit some of the most inhuman atrocities.  

I am simply attempting to state that the use of the bomb was not NECESSARY.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Say what you will about the Japanese, but they build a hell of a bridge.  Even an a-bomb couldn't eliminate those bridges.

Just a funny joke I heard from a buddy.  

"A guy can build 1,000 bridges in his life time.  But he sucks just one c--k he's known as a c--ksucker!"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#41]
The thing is, if the US had run a conventional bombing raid using the firebombs the US used in bombing the other Japanese cities, just as many people would have died in Hiroshima.

At the end of the day, literally, just as many Japanese died, but the war was stopped sooner.

If the invasion of Japan had occured as originally planned, a typhoon would have hit just as the fleet came in. A major Typhoon struck the Sea of Japan on the same dates as the original invasion was planned...

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#42]
The only tragedy is we couldn't drop them any earlier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Your tag line states, "Islam wants you dead. Take appropriate actions. triburst1"

During WWII the Japanese wanted us dead - our generation at that time took the appropriate actions.

Uhhh.. I hope you didn't take my post as anti-nuclear.
I am as pro-war, whrn necessary, as anyone you will find.
I simply came across these pictures while searching for a maid uniform for my wife to wear around the house and found them really interesting.

I believe in killing the other guy with as much extreme predjudice as you can muster up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Time for a history lesson...

This is just a SMALL taste of the Japanese atrocities in the Philipines:

This is how we reacted.... I think it was VERY appropriate...

At the time, those little rat bastards deserved EVERYTHING they got...including the nukes..

These days, the Japanese our are freinds, and they have been forgiven. But let us not forget why the leaders of our greatest generation did what they did...

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I seldom use this kind of language or think like this, but fuck 'em.  I don't give a damn about the devastation or suffering the Japs went through.

We should have been patient enough to wait a few months and then drop every single bomb we could have made.  We should have cut the heart out of Tokyo with one of the bombs, too.

From what I gather on the subject, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were 'saved' from the fire bombings for these projects. There may not have been enough targets left with a viable body count for them to feel the PAIN if we continued the firebombings. Libtards love to argue this fact..that we used them as subjects(those cities) for those weapons. For once I agreed with them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Um...the Japanese were behind the Bataan Death March....They deserved every atom.

Exactly. I was getting ready to post some pics of that atrocity.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Time for a history lesson...

This is just a SMALL taste of the Japanese atrocities in the Philipines:

i1.tinypic.com/nml3mb.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/nml3z6.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/nmlobp.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/nmlojm.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/nmloqa.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/nmloye.jpg

This is how we reacted.... I think it was VERY appropriate...

i1.tinypic.com/nmlt7r.gif

i1.tinypic.com/nmlp8w.jpg

At the time, those little rat bastards deserved EVERYTHING they got...including the nukes..

These days, the Japanese our are freinds, and they have been forgiven. But let us not forget why the leaders of our greatest generation did what they did...

Sad, deplorable and criminal as that was, they were luckier than some others...

Unit 731

Unit 731 was a secret military "medical" unit of the Imperial Japanese Army that researched biological warfare and other topics through human experimentation during the Second Sino-Japanese War(1937-1945) and World War II era. For information on its origin see Kempeitai Political Department and Epidemic Prevention Research Laboratory.

The unit was disguised as a water purification unit. It was based in Pingfan, near the city of Harbin in northeastern China, the region which was then part of the puppet state of Manchukuo. Various Eastern and Western sources estimate anywhere from 3,000 to 200,000 Chinese, Korean, Allied civilians and POWs were directly or indirectly killed by Unit 731's experiments.

There were other units besides Unit 731, which serves as a general term in describing the Japanese biological warfare program. Other units include Unit 543 (Hailar), Unit 773 (Songo unit), Unit 100 (Changchun), Unit 1644 (Nanjing), Unit 1855 (Beijing), Unit 8604 (Guangzhou), and Unit 9420 (Singapore). The acts of Unit 731 are one of many major war crimes committed by the Imperial Japanese Army from the occupation of Manchuria in 1931 to the end of World War II in 1945.

After these laboratories were destroyed by the Japanese to hide their activities, many of the scientists involved went on to prominent careers in politics, academia and business. The United States granted amnesty, allowing these scientists to go unprosecuted in exchange for their experimentation data.

Activities

A special project code-named Maruta used human beings for experiments. Test subjects were gathered from the surrounding population and were sometimes known as "logs" (maruta 丸太). This term was the result of the feeling of the scientists that killing a prisoner was the same as cutting down a tree. The test subjects ranged from infants, to old people, to pregnant women along with the baby. Many experiments were performed without the use of anesthetics because it was believed that it might affect the results.
[edit]

Vivisection

* Vivisections were performed on prisoners infected with various diseases; scientists would remove organs to study the effects of the disease on the human body.
   * Prisoners were amputated limb by limb to study blood loss.
   * Arms were cut off and reattached to opposite sides.
   * Limbs were frozen and sawed off.
   * Stomachs were surgically removed and the esophagus was reattached to the intestines.
   * Parts of the brain, lungs, liver, et cetera were taken out.
   * Vivisection of a pregnant woman (impregnated by one of the doctors) and the foetus.

(The accusation of experiments involving pregnant women is debatable. Although many experiments were performed to simulate battle-field injury and amputations, documentation of experiments involving women and children are scant and unreliable.)
[edit]

Weapons testing

* Grenade tests used human targets at various distances and positions.
   * Flame throwers were tested on humans.
   * Bombs were tested on humans tied to stakes at various positions.

[edit]

Other experiments

* Human subjects were deprived of food and water to study the effects and duration before death.
   * Prisoners were placed into highly pressurized chambers until they died.
   * Frostbite experiments were conducted on prisoners to determine how long humans can survive when exposed to extreme temperatures.
   * Temperature experiments were performed to determine the relationship between temperature, burns, and survival rate.
   * Prisoners were placed into centrifuges and spun until they died.
   * Animal blood was injected into humans.
   * Prisoners were bombarded with lethal doses of x-ray radiation.
   * Gas chambers tested chemical weapons on prisoners.
   * Air bubbles were injected into prisoners' bloodstreams to simulate a stroke.
   * Sea water was injected into prisoners to determine if it could be substituted for saline.

[edit]

Biological warfare

Japanese scientists tested the plague, cholera, smallpox, botulism, and other diseases on prisoners. Their research led to the development of the defoliation bacilli bomb and the flea bomb to spread the bubonic plague. Some of these bombs were designed with ceramic (porcelain) shells, proposed by Ishii Shiro in 1938. This enabled Japanese soldiers to launch multiple biological attacks by infecting agriculture, reservoirs, wells, and other areas with anthrax, plague-carrying fleas, thyphoid, dysentery, cholera and other deadly pathogens. Infected food supplies and clothing were dropped by planes in areas of China not occupied by Japanese forces.

More at the link.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Rape of Nanjiing ring a bell? Savages.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
A very short history lesson.   I just want my fellow forum members to look at the bigger picture.

<SNIP>

I am simply attempting to state that the use of the bomb was not NECESSARY.

Great screen name: "Neophyte".  It certainly fits you.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Great screen name: "Neophyte". It certainly fits you.

Well I am new to the AR platform NOT the study of history.    I take it you feel that something from my post was inaccurate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top