Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:44 PM EDT
According to a Fox News poll, the Democrats have alot of momentum to regain controll of congress this year.

Now, we all know that Bush said that he would sign a renewal of the 1994 AWB if it reached his desk. We have also debated (and for the most part a majority of us believe) that Bush said this as a political ploy to appear centrist knowing that the AWB would not reach his desk.

However, if the Dems regain controll of the congress in 2006 it is possible that they will pass an AWB and send it to the president before he leaves office. If that were to happen, do you think that Bush would sign or veto the bill?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
it would be political suicide

but then again...what would he care?

How long would it take for such a bill to make it to the oval office? Bush may not be the one to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 12:55:37 PM EDT by Cross_Steel]
Why alienate his Party's base? You saw what happened to the dems in the 06 election.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 12:56:02 PM EDT by roboman]
He'll most likely follow up on his original statement and sign the AWB.

We'll just have to make sure the Dems don't get control of Congress in 2006!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:56:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cross_Steel:
Why alienate his Party's base? You saw what happened to the dems in the 06 election.

We also saw Bush I sign the 89 Import Ban and fuck his base over.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:56:52 PM EDT
Congress would have to radically shift to allow this to happen. Might in the Senate but not in the House.

Remember what happened in 1994? Newt Gingrich, if you need a clue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:00:06 PM EDT
Bush will sign it. Senate may shift house will not. I kind of this Abramoff scandal unseats many I just hope it is balanced or more to the left. Our country needs a change in the legislative branch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:00:56 PM EDT
The nation is fairly pro-gun right now.... more than it was pre-911 so I wouldn't really
start to worry about this 'till 2008

Not to say that we should sleep during the '06 elections....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:05:23 PM EDT
First, I think it is highly unlikely it would get through Congress, even if democratic controlled. Second, I think the President would not sign it b/c it would be NEW gun control legislation. When he said it prior to expiring, he was 'safe' b/c it was existing legislation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:06:13 PM EDT
Just the same, I'm magazine stacking.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:19:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

yep

I'm going to pick up a few stripped lowers myself
(as if i needed another reason)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bones21:
The nation is fairly pro-gun right now.... more than it was pre-911 so I wouldn't really

I would have to agree that since 9-11, New Orleans, and crazy shit going on at the Mexican border, the nation is more gun friendly than it was a few years ago.

I think politicians, on either side of the spectrum, would get themselves in hot water if they started talking about restricting people's rights to protect themselves. Security is a VERY big issue these days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:11:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ShadowCompany:

I would have to agree that since 9-11, New Orleans, and crazy shit going on at the Mexican border, the nation is more gun friendly than it was a few years ago.

I think politicians, on either side of the spectrum, would get themselves in hot water if they started talking about restricting people's rights to protect themselves. Security is a VERY big issue these days.

Americans have short memories. Unless the press is talking about it most people aren't concerned.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
I don't see the democrats taking either the house or senate back this year, no matter what a poll says.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:13:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
... if the Dems regain controll of the congress in 2006...

Not...

gonna...

happen!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:15:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:

Not...

gonna...

happen!

It very well might happen, judging by the various douches around here that seem to think there won't be a difference under the Democrats. Of course, we'll know who to blame the next AWB on from these threads...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:30:54 PM EDT
oh my God not again!

i dont think I could handle it

remember it would take a flop on both the House and Senate side

they would have to forget the gutting that happened after the last AWB in 94. uhhhh First time in history that an incumbent speaker of the house was beat in an election. Anybody remember who he was - that fuckin' slack lipped prick from Washington?

It was a massacre if y'all remember correctly and the Dems would not admit why it happened - but those ass holes know very well. They wont let it happen before the '08 election. Hillary would not know how to vote on the bill....with the AWBs going on at the state level I think the fed lawmakers will be ok just letting us lose ground at the state level.

BUT - let's not let it happen - I cant even imagine Kennedy as the Majority leader. Fuckin' hell would be a #1 vacation destination.............
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:40:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:

Not...

gonna...

happen!

I don't think that they'll take control of either house this year, but I think that they'll take back some seats in both. I'm more worried about them retaking both houses and winning the presidency in 2008. That would be a disaster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:43:15 PM EDT
I don't think he'd sign it.

The Dems and the media would have to play the "blood in the streets" violence aspect for a long time before they could get the kind of support for another AWB.

But it'll come, I have no doubt of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:46:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:
I don't see the democrats taking either the house or senate back this year, no matter what a poll says.

+1 the Dems will not win anyting.

And Bush will not sign the AWB.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:51:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:

It very well might happen, judging by the various douches around here that seem to think there won't be a difference under the Democrats. Of course, we'll know who to blame the next AWB on from these threads...

Yeah, it's not the fault of the Republicans for running up the deficit, leaving the borders undefended and sinking money into medicaid. It's the fault of anyone who doesn't fall in line and vote a straight Republican ticket regardless of what the Republicans do.

Oh, and for the most part I am satified with what the Republicans are doing. I am satisfied with the Alito and Roberts confirmations, I am satisfied with the Bush tax cuts (although I think that they need to be made permenant in a big hurry) and I am satisfied with the status of the war in Iraq. But I guess because I dare criticize their spending practices (like the $15 billion for AIDS in Africa, the $220 billion or whatever it is now for NO, the Medicaid Prescription Drug handout and the failure to make the billions in aid to Iraq a loan) or my stuanch opposition to the prospect of having Ruddy be the 2008 presidential nominee that makes me a left wing douchbag willing to flush the country down the toilet.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:28:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:
Bush will sign it. Senate may shift house will not. I kind of this Abramoff scandal unseats many I just hope it is balanced or more to the left. Our country needs a change in the legislative branch.

Last time we had a "leftward balance" we got the original AWB.

How do you know he will sign it? Are you a mind reader?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:

Agreed. This is just wishful thinking on the part of some people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:53:03 PM EDT

...or my stuanch opposition to the prospect of having Ruddy be the 2008 presidential nominee that makes me a left wing douchbag willing to flush the country down the toilet.

Pretty much.

However bad you may think the GOP will be for us, the DNC will be worse. In all matters, but especially when it comes to RKBA.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:33 PM EDT

Which is why there is nationwide CCW, no Patriot Act, and a secure border with Mexico.
Oh wait...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:57:16 PM EDT
What has the GOP Congress done for us:

Tax exemption for gunsmiths

Limits on NICS records

Sunset of AWB

Passage of gun lawsuit reform (with a couple irrelevant token amendments)

John Bolton as UN Amb- very pro gun gentleman!

Passage of DC handgun ban repeal in House

Thwarted TWICE trying to add 50 calibers to NFA

Passed LEO ccw

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Which is why there is nationwide CCW, no Patriot Act, and a secure border with Mexico.
Oh wait...

There is a bill in Congress about nationwide CCW.

Go read the Patriot Act.

Can't argue the point about the border.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Oh wait...

There is a bill in Congress about nationwide CCW.

Go read the Patriot Act.

Can't argue the point about the border.

There are TWO bills about nationwide CCW
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:13:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:

Limits on NICS records

Sunset of AWB

Passed LEO ccw

This last one is hardly a pro-gun step.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:31:25 PM EDT

Limits on NICS records

Sunset of AWB

John Bolton as UN Amb- very pro gun gentleman! - Bush alone gets credit for that one. The GOP controlled congress failed miseribly in getting Bolton confirmed.

Passage of DC handgun ban repeal in House Which means doodley squat since it has not effected the law.

Passed LEO ccw Which only widens the gap between police as agents of the state and citizens

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:58:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Limits on NICS records

Sunset of AWB

Passed LEO ccw

This last one is hardly a pro-gun step.

In case some of you didn't read on your way to posting, there is movement currently underway to ensure that we can carry anywhere we go if we have a carry license.

I didn't agree with the LEO only nationwide carry, but now they are doing something for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:04:39 PM EDT
They can take out imported foreign weapons away.....

But they'll never take...

Our Freedom
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:12:31 PM EDT
He'd trade away our rights for something he wants in a second.
Half a second.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnTheTexican:
He'd trade away our rights for something he wants in a second.
Half a second.

+1 on that.

Get your magazines, ammo, and scary black guns as soon as you can. Never know when we'll get screwed over again. I suspect it'll be a worse screwing over the next time, however it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:58:01 PM EDT

Now, we all know that Bush said that he would sign a renewal of the 1994 AWB if it reached his desk.

It is pretty clear he wouldn't sign.

He said he would sign the renewal of the '94 legislation, but IIRC he added in disclaimers to the effect "if it showed a reduction in crime".

And I doubt the dems would really want to push gun control if they gained control. To gain control, they need to win in red states, they won't be re-elected if they push gun bans.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:18:01 AM EDT by txgp17]
Bush has an out, a way to split hairs so to speak.
He said he would sign an AWB renewal, in very specific terms that meant to renew it, without any expansive measures, for another 10 years.

If a new AWB bill gets out of congress, it will likely NOT be temporary, and it will likely be very more restrictive.

Then Bush can veto it (something he hasn't yet done IIRC) because it wasn't an "original" AWB renewal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
He said he woudl sign a AWB renewal, in very specific terms that meant to renew it, without any expansive measures, for another 10 years.

If a new AWB bill gets out of congress, it will likely NOT be temporary, and it will likely be very more restrictive.

Then Bush can veto it (something he hasn't yet done IIRC) because it wasn't an "original" AWB renewal.

Shhh, don't interrupt the ranting with facts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 6:30:22 PM EDT by CRC]

He said he woudl sign a AWB renewal, in very specific terms that meant to renew it, without any expansive measures, for another 10 years.

You mean the fact that Bush can say what he wants to appease the soccer moms while getting Rove to tell Congress to block it?

You darn well know Bush didn't want it on his desk. Tom Delay said it had no votes to pass the House and Bush left it at that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:49:06 PM EDT

Limits on NICS records

Sunset of AWB

Passed LEO ccw

NOTHING!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
Look at all the companies making stuff a new AWB would outlaw. The free market says another ban won't be passed in the near future. But we must still work to elect the lesser of the evils.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:54:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

me too, been on a buying frenzy since September 14, 2004

These are the good ol' days people! Buy mags, guns, then more mags, and some more guns before we get screwed again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:21:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:21:50 AM EDT by txgp17]

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
...snip... These are the good ol' days people! Buy mags, guns, then more mags, and some more guns before we get screwed again.

It is sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:58:07 AM EDT

+1, We've regained a hell of a lot of our gun rights under this President.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:36:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By COZ:

No we have not.

We have a backdoor AWB ban with parts kits

A more powerful ATF under the Department of Justice

A President who supports a domestic AWB.

A President who supports the existing laws banning imports and NFA weapons.

A President who signed McCain-Feingold into law.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:58:39 AM EDT

Tax exemption for gunsmiths doesn't effect me

Limits on NICS records ATF takes no notice of this

Sunset of AWB would have happened anyway, GWB wanted to re-sign it

Passage of gun lawsuit reform (with a couple irrelevant token amendments) win for corporate America, does nothing for me
John Bolton as UN Amb- very pro gun gentleman! GWB did this by himself, senate was too shit scared of the dems doing a "mock filibuster". Fair play to GWB on this one.
Passage of DC handgun ban repeal in House can you carry in DC? I didn't think so

Passed LEO ccw and how is this good?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:00:12 AM EDT

Can you name a veto? Of anything? Why would I assume he would start on that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 8:28:48 AM EDT by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Can you name a veto? Of anything? Why would I assume he would start on that?

Well, you can ASSume all you want, you still don't know if he would sign it.

Like I said, are you a mind reader? If not, you know zip, nothing, nada about whether he would or would not sign it.

He did not want to sign an extension of the previous one, but said he would if it reached his desk. He said that, KNOWING FULL WELL THAT IT WOULD NOT REACH HIS DESK. He knew that because he told the Repubs in Congress that it better not reach his desk.

Some of you understand that, but you ignore it so you can use this bullshit to bash him.

Even the anti-gun assholes understood it:

"If George W. Bush truly wants an assault weapons ban, as he has led the public to believe, then he should aggressively fight for it, as he had done with other issues of importance to him," said Joshua Horwitz, executive director of the Coalition to Stop Violence, a group fighting for renewal of the ban.

Gee, if this moron seems to get it, why don't some of the Bush bashers on this board seem to understand it? I guess that require actually thinking for a change.

He never said he would sign a NEW one, just an extension of the old one which he knew was dead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:20:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Originally Posted By COZ:

No we have not.

We have a backdoor AWB ban with parts kits WTF are you talking about?

A more powerful ATF under the Department of Justice Yeah, they have been so powerful, in your mind maybe.

A President who supports a domestic AWB. This is utter bullshit and you know it.

A President who supports the existing laws banning imports and NFA weapons. Really, when did he say all that?

A President who signed McCain-Feingold into law. Can't dispute that one.

So, you got 1 out of 5 right. Whoopee fuckin' doo.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:25:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fourays2:

Tax exemption for gunsmiths doesn't effect me

Limits on NICS records ATF takes no notice of this

Sunset of AWB would have happened anyway, GWB wanted to re-sign it That is an OUTRIGHT LIE.

Passage of gun lawsuit reform (with a couple irrelevant token amendments) win for corporate America, does nothing for me More me-me-me bullshit. I guess if the gun industry went under, that would not affect you either.

John Bolton as UN Amb- very pro gun gentleman! GWB did this by himself, senate was too shit scared of the dems doing a "mock filibuster". Fair play to GWB on this one.

Passage of DC handgun ban repeal in House can you carry in DC? I didn't think so Damn impatient people. It took many years to get this way, it ain't gonna change overnight.

Passed LEO ccw and how is this good? And now they are working on national CCW for the rest of us. I guess you don't bother with those things, they would interrupt your rants.

I have not seen so many selfish reasons in one post in a long time. It's all about "me-me-me".

As for GWB wanting to re-sign it, I will say again, that is an OUTRIGHT LIE and you know it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:28:11 AM EDT
If it happens again, Ill be a criminal. Im not going to play the game for nother 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:47 AM EDT
2008 is the election to really worry about. The Dems haven't been out of power in congress for that long (ran the House for what, 40 years straight?) but they act like the vagrant slaves threw the masters out of the plantation house because they are on the outside looking in.

While their rhetoric is very brash right now I don't see them doing anything with an AW ban unless they have at least half of congress well under control and the presidency. Even then they will have to call on their buddies in the mainstream media to help push the anti-AW agenda to the public.

Tearing into another AW ban may invigorate the anti-gun crowd on the D side but it will really motivate us and the other AW supporters (and pro gun groups like the NRA) to get D's out of office and put R's who support the 2nd in their place. They will have to risk some political capital to go for it because they know it will hurt them (look at the 1994 elections).

Still, it will only be a matter of time. While I am unhappy with some of the Republican moves, or non-moves, on certain issues, I know that they are unlikely to pass more "gun control." I know the Dem's record on "gun control" and that is to pass more and more of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top