Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 6:14:56 AM EDT
damn kids nowadays will do anything to get out of school, but they're gonna have to be prepared to face the consequences like being anally probed and parents homes searched to find gunz.

stupid punks.
------------------------------------------------
www.sbsun.com
Gun rumors keep many students away from campus
Stacia Glenn, Staff Writer  

BEAUMONT - Rumors that guns would be brought to Beaumont High School Thursday ran rampant through the small community, causing more than half of the students to skip school Thursday.
When students arrived on campus in the morning, about 15 cops were waiting to frisk the teenagers and thoroughly search backpacks and lockers for any weapons. No guns were found in the search.

"It really got spun up into something it wasn't," said Lt. Mitch White of the Beaumont Police Department.

A forum on the popular social networking Web site myspace.com instigated the rumor, students said, and frightened a majority of them into avoiding the campus.

About 50 percent of the student body was absent at the beginning of the day. By dismissal time, attendance had dwindled to about 40 percent because many parents came to pick up their children, said Cynthia English, assistant to interim district Superintendent Nick Ferguson.

Police also searched the homes and bedrooms of the seven students involved in the online forum, White said. That search yielded nothing but a handgun in one of the houses, which belonged to the father of one of the children. The man allowed police to confiscate the weapon.

Sierra Enright, a sophomore, figured something was up when she saw several cops on campus and noticed many students were missing. She said teachers and police went the extra mile to make all students feel safe though, and school went on as usual.

"Aside from everyone making crude jokes  

about getting shot all day, nothing was really different," she said.

To stymie the rumor and alleviate parental concern, school personnel distributed a memo to all students on campus and used an alert telephone system to contact all of the parents.

"The rumors that were flying have all been thoroughly investigated by school personnel and Beaumont Police Department and have been found to be unsubstantiated. We have taken extra precautions to ensure your student's safety," read the memo, issued by Principal Kathryn Norwood.

The memo also encouraged students to attend school today as usual.

The scare came just two weeks after a report of shots fired in a nearby neighborhood closed down five schools. On Feb. 3, Beaumont police searched a four-block radius near Michigan Avenue and 10th Street but found no evidence of a shooter or a gun in the area.

For safety reasons, Beaumont High School was closed down for about 15 minutes, along with Palm Elementary, Beaumont Adult School, San Andreas Opportunity School and Glenview High School.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In Beaumont population 21000?

It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there.

people are buying houses there faster than they can build em...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
myspace.com strikes again
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]

The man allowed police to confiscate the weapon.

Did he let them fuck his wife while they were there too?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Rumors that guns would be brought to Beaumont High School ... about 15 cops were waiting  

Turns out the rumors were right, about 15 guns were brought.

When students arrived on campus in the morning, about 15 cops were waiting to frisk the teenagers and thoroughly search backpacks and lockers for any weapons.

I'm sure it's been found legal by the SC, but what allows the police to frisk every student?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Shit!  I could just see the police viewing my gun/ammo inventory!  They'd shut down every school in AZ.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And Bush
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In the a$$?

"Hi.  I'm a friendly police officer.  We have reports that someone was going to exceed the speed limit today in a school zone.  I see from our records you own a Mercedes 500SL?"

"Yes"

"I am going to have to ask you to allow us to confiscate the car.  It is for the safety of the choldren, you see......"

"I don't really see how that....."

"Ma'am, we are police officers.  Allow us to do our job."

"Oh, okay."
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And the sheep keep on grazing...............

Policeman: Sir we would like to search your house.

Me: Why?

Police: You son was involved in an on-line discussion to bring guns to school.

Me: Come back with a warrant.  Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]

That search yielded nothing but a handgun in one of the houses, which belonged to the father of one of the children. The man allowed police to confiscate the weapon.

Obviously not an ARFCOMer.. That pisses me off, though..
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That search yielded nothing but a handgun in one of the houses, which belonged to the father of one of the children. The man allowed police to confiscate the weapon.

Obviously not an ARFCOMer.. That pisses me off, though..

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
So...how did the police find out about this?
Internet rumors?
And this guy just let the police search his house and confiscate his sidearm?

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm sure it's been found legal by the SC, but what allows the police to frisk every student?

A) They're minors. They have limited, if not non-existant Constitutional rights.

B) They agree to be searched by their presence. They don't like it, they can go to a private school.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep. Myspace.com, the scapegoat du jour for the rampant hysteria of bored suburbanites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top