Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 5:23:50 AM EDT
Hey guys,

My buddy Jake, our labrador retriever, just past the 12 year mark. He's still in great shape for his age, but there's one thing that's starting to bother me.

At night, he makes this awful HEEEUUUULLLLFFFFF sound that sounds just like a drunk with the dry heaves. He doesn't throw up or anything, he just makes this really gross, LOUD sound, and then rolls over and goes back sleep.

The first time he did it it scared the hell out of me. I thought a damn wino had wondered into our bedroom or something.

When I mentioned it to our vet he basically shrugged it off and said "Yeah, dogs do that sometimes as they get older" and seemed to feel that it was nothing.

I'd just like a second opinion if anyone has one. Do any of your older dogs do this ? Anyone know why ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, mine has been doing it for 2 years.  In the last 6 months he has started farting LOUDLY when he does it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
good descriptor

our dog did when I was a kid, but she had been hit like three times w/ broken ribs and all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, my grandfather did that. Didn't have to post about it on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My oldest dog is doing that exact thing as I type this lol, she has been doing it for a couple years now and the vet said it's nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hell, my grandfather did that. Didn't have to post about it on the internet.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never heard of this.  I would test the dog for heart worms and or tape worms first.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've never heard of this.  I would test the dog for heart worms and or tape worms first.

Nah...this dog sees a doc more often than I do and spends more time indoors than I as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If the dog has ever had kennel cough, it can leave scarring in his airway.  I think this is what happened to my lab.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top