Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:35:57 PM EDT
I just moved to a new patio home right in the middle of the city.  I have a 75' double wide driveway that is covered with Canada goose shit.  I hose it off in the morning and by noon it's covered again, hose it off at noon and it's covered by nightfall.  I have to drive through it to get in the garage and it tracks into the garage and then the house.  Of course I can't shoot the bastards and my HOA won't allow flags or similar devices.  The damn geese don't migrate and are here year round.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  We are at a point where we're ready to move again but I've got over 500K in this house and, other than the geese from hell, like it.

<Removed F-word from thread title.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This not the best place to ask how to remove edible animals
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
razor wire

edit: or shovel it into buckets until you have about 15 gallons worth, then deliver it to the HOA
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
How bout some of this stuff (this is just a website I grabbed, I'm sure there are others):

www.bugpage.com/goose-repellent.php
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
There are devices that will emit sounds that scare 'em off..

You could also get some fake hawks or other predators...

Get a dog?

Land mines work, too...

Shotgun?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Put sting along the driveway on stakes about 8" off the ground. It's supposed to work to keep them out of your ponds, so it may work for that. Just a thought. If not, get out your old Red Ryder.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
tinfoil. put a few strips of tinfoil and it should flare them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah. Almost forgot ARFCOM's answer to anything. Tanrerite!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Put up flags.  When the HOA comes to tell you to take them down, shoot them.  That will send a message to the geese that you mean business and to get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just moved to a new patio home right in the middle of the city.  I have a 75' double wide driveway that is covered with Canada goose shit.  I hose it off in the morning and by noon it's covered again, hose it off at noon and it's covered by nightfall.  I have to drive through it to get in the garage and it tracks into the garage and then the house.  Of course I can't shoot the bastards and my HOA won't allow flags or similar devices.  The damn geese don't migrate and are here year round.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  We are at a point where we're ready to move again but I've got over 500K in this house and, other than the geese from hell, like it.

Dude, this is ArfCom, don't you read?

No marriage, get both and don't buy a house in a HOA!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Flag it, screw the hoa, it's YOUR 500,000 dollar house!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe tacticalstraight will let you borrow this:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435612
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad raised exotic and game geese for years
A strobe light works well to keep them away from places at night  but probably not kosher with your HOA
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
.22 cb short out of a 20" barrell. Noone will even know , then SSS

I shoot them into phone books in my apartment all the time. I used to shoot the out the Bathroom window in the middle of a city with 200k people
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I found one dead in our electric fence once...

String a bunch of that around about 6" off the ground.  That should fry the pesky fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I shoot them into phone books in my apartment all the time. I used to shoot the out the Bathroom window in the middle of a city with 200k people

Shoot out the bathroom window at what??
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not entirely sure of the solution, but I bet it is belt fed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure of the solution, but I bet it is belt fed.

That is the solution to a lot of things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Post a Ducks only sign
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I didn't know they made a 75' doublewide.

ETA - You sure it isn't a triplewide?

Heck, a driveway at that. You know you've made it in this world when you use what some would call a house as your driveway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#22]
how about bamboo spikes (punji style) comign out from the ground.

when the HOA asks, tell them " I have a weird parasitic plant growing in my yard, and have no way to remove it."
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
paintball gun?
airsoft gun?
not killing but annoying them
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#24]
they can be discouraged by putting up a solid fence 2-3 feet tall

they won't walk where they can not see
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a job for......

Mall Ninja!  

Them gooses need to be drawed down upon. Or perhaps a loop recording of a pump shotgun being racked would do the trick?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Where are they coming from?  A pond?  Little old neighbor feeding them?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
File a complaint that their feces is a health concern.  Bird shit, especcially geese will contaminate water supplies so that live stock will become greviously ill after consuming the water.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Canadian geese are a protected species mess with them in any way at your own peril.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Put up flags.  When the HOA comes to tell you to take them down, shoot them.  That will send a message to the geese that you mean business and to get the fuck out.

The best post i have seen all day,and i have been here all day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Labrador retriever. The dog will be happy, and the geese will get chased.

There are actually dog handlers you can hire that do this. I think they use border collies.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Do geese like anti-freeze like dogs do?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

<Removed F-word from thread title.  --tbk1>

Heavishot works great on geese.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#33]
geese a protected species? really cause i slayed the shit out of them this year. get a airosoft gun or something and shoot the shit out of them but dont kill them. also make sure you dont get caught doing this harrassing wildlife is a big no no.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Canadian geese are a protected species mess with them in any way at your own peril.

Migratory birds are protected by international treaty.  Non-migratory birds are not.  Lot's of places have nuisance goose seasons after the migratory birds have left.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Well guys, thanks for the suggestions and the humor.  
I'm going to try some of the less than lethal suggestions but am not entirely optimistic.  
BTW: in answer to some of the questions: where do they come from? The area I live in has numerous lakes and parks and thousands of geese.  For whatever reason they seem to like my grass and driveway.  No, I don't live in a doublewide.  I have a three car garage with a three car wide apron and two car wide driveway.  I don't like HOAs either but got tired of maintaining a yard and shoveling snow.
The HOA contracts to have it done so it's the lesser of evils.  
I'm hitting the sack now because I'll be awakened by the damn honking geese early in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was a preteen, I had a small cherry tree in my yard along with a slingshot (with wrist support).  If you hit a goose with one of those, they'll GTF out!  

I also reccommend a .177 pellet rifle.  Those work well.  

Or a dog.  Dog works exceedingly well at preventing birds from wandering onto your property.    
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Migratory birds are protected by international treaty.  Non-migratory birds are not.  Lot's of places have nuisance goose seasons after the migratory birds have left.

Huh?  Canada geese are a "migratory bird" whether individual birds migrate or not.  The definition is by specie not individual bird.  

Sorry, correct term is "Resident"

www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_25065-59467--,00.html
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#39]
An invisible fence and a couple of playful dogs will do the trick. Border collies will work great as they are playful Smart, and wont end up getting killed by the geese.
I used to dress poultry for a guy that had a license to raise geese and mallards. During gun season on his pond he would fire a shot the birds that took off he would shoot, the ones that stayed in the water were his.
Back on topic if you have a dumb dog the geese will definatley kill or seriously injure it.
ETA
found this for ya
its a goose repellant
http://www.biconet.com/birds/gooseChase.html

http://www.biconet.com/birds/infoSheets/gooseChaseSht72.JPG
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't shoot with paintball gun, I shot a squirrel and it crushed it's whole ribcage and icky stuff came out of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot out the bathroom window at what??

soda can's i would run out to the other side of the parking lot, before i had to do my buisness .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Baseball bat.   Seriously though, when I was younger I got pissed at one (they seem to think they are about 10x bigger then they really are) and grabbed it around the neck and shook it.  Its "mate" got pissed and attacked me so I punched that one.  They were much less aggressive after that.  People at the apartment though I was being killed by the geese ;)

bp
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like you have a reason to own an Airsoft gun...

Or try getting a dog like a Lab
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#44]
this is probly a repeat ,EAT THEM!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You mean SSBE?

Shoot
Stuff
Bake
Eat!

and +2 on the CB ammo ( CCI also makes CB longs for easier feeding...)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Here in ND the warden gives you a pistol that fires blanks,but after a few days you lean that does not work so you take the AR out and kill a few and the rest of them get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#47]
hose it down with acetate or terpentine ...ammonia might work too...spray it down with ammonia and then a light spray of bleach...real gassy...don't breath it though cause it can kill ya...  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#48]
TANNERITE
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Labrador retriever. The dog will be happy, and the geese will get chased.

There are actually dog handlers you can hire that do this. I think they use border collies.

I recall seeing a PBS show on this. Golf course owner tried using border collies to get rid of the geese that were shitting all over his golf course. Worked well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top